• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wiper Blades --- Dumb Question

For what ever reason I cannot pivot the wiper arm upward enough to change the blades. THe joint will only allow me to pivot the arm upward about 30 degree from the windshield and not the 90 degree I am used to on other cars. :confused:

try turning off the ignition when the blades are in the fully extended position, than you can do anything you want with them

yup, turn ignition on, turn on wipers, when they are in a vertical position turn off the ignition! then they are upright, and easy to change!

try turning off the ignition when the blades are in the fully extended position, than you can do anything you want with them

yup, turn ignition on, turn on wipers, when they are in a vertical position turn off the ignition! then they are upright, and easy to change!

What they said ^.

The easiest way is to remove the entire wiper arm. This is VERY easy. Use a 17 mm socket to remove the single black acorn nut that holds the arm on. Then hold the arm at both ends and press down on it (to keep the spring in it extended) and lift the entire arm up. Voila! Reverse the process to replace it.

I assume you are replacing only the inexpensive rubber insert and not the entire wiper arm...

The easiest way is to remove the entire wiper arm. This is VERY easy. Use a 17 mm socket to remove the single black acorn nut that holds the arm on. Then hold the arm at both ends and press down on it (to keep the spring in it extended) and lift the entire arm up. Voila! Reverse the process to replace it.

I assume you are replacing only the inexpensive rubber insert and not the entire wiper arm...

This is the way to do it. Then you can clean the arms really nice before reinstalling them. I always left mine off the car during the spring/summer.

Charlie,
Thanks for stepping up to the plate and asking this quesiton. I have been wondering the same thing for a very long time. I knew there was a simple answer but never really thought about asking until I went to change them.
Thank to everyone for responding with solutions to this simple 'problem.:smile:

The thing that confounded me was the owner manual. It shows a photo of the wipers slightly elevated NOT fully extended. In the position shown in the manual I think it is impossible to fully rotate the wiper blade to remove it.

I have m not tried any of the suggestions here.... but will later.

THANKS !

Ken, recommend, if you would, a rubber insert replacement that fits. I'm having a heck of a time finding one.
Go to your Acura dealer and ask for part number 76622-SR3-305. It lists for $4.48 each. It's the same part for both wipers. You can replace it easily; remove the old one from the wiper blade, and re-use the two metal "spines" from the old one. It's shown as part number 17 in the diagram below. If the rubber in your wipers is no longer making good contact with the windshield, you can usually get away with replacing only this inexpensive rubber insert, not the entire wiper arm.

13sl00_b14.gif

Acorn nut?? Is that item # 21 on the diagram.
I don't think I am blind... BUT I do not have any such nut!! :confused:

Did they change the wiper arms in later versions?? I have a 93'

You can remove the wiper blade assembly without any tools and takes 10 seconds. There is a small button/tab on the wiper blade that lifts a barb and allows you to easily remove the entire blade.

Start at Step #3 on this cool little video:
http://www.ehow.com/video_107_replace-windshield-wiper.html

If you must remove the wiper arm and the acorn nut: wrap the acorn nut hex with masking tape so you do not mar the surface. Using anti-seize compound on the knurling is helpful as an assembly aid.

Note: Before you remove the arms, take a visual of their position so you can replace them the same way.

Have a look at this photo of my driver side wiper arm.

Is this the same type of wiper arm that you guys have?
I ask because I don't see this NUT # 21 :confused:
Is that nut hidden under the front hood?

Also that Pivot joint at the base only alows the arm to be lifted about 30 degrees and even when extended to the vertical position won't allow the arm to be rotated.

Attachments

• Photo_050608_001.jpg
    Photo_050608_001.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 213

Also that Pivot joint at the base only alows the arm to be lifted about 30 degrees and even when extended to the vertical position won't allow the arm to be rotated.

The pic doesn't show the end of the arm. Surely the nut is there.

The directions in post #4 seem much easier and could possibly be the easiest way.

When you take off the entire arm, you risk putting them back on in the wrong place and when you turn on or off the wipers, they will hit on the windsheild frame

Yes, the nut (which is black) is hidden under the front hood, at the very END of the entire wiper arm assembly, from which it swivels. You need to open the hood to remove it, IIRC. That photo does not show the end of the wiper arm assembly, which would be out of the photo's frame, below and to the right of the lower right corner of the photo.

When you take off the entire arm, you risk putting them back on in the wrong place and when you turn on or off the wipers, they will hit on the windsheild frame
That's not a risk unless you are totally clueless. Assuming you turned off the car with the wipers in the down position, all you need to do is, when you re-attach them to the car, make sure the wiper blade sits at the very bottom of the windshield, and there's no way they will hit the windshield frame on the upswing. Very simple.

HTH

Yes, the nut (which is black) is hidden under the front hood, at the very END of the entire wiper arm assembly, from which it swivels. You need to open the hood to remove it, IIRC. That photo does not show the end of the wiper arm assembly, which would be out of the photo's frame, below and to the right of the lower right corner of the photo.

That's not a risk unless you are totally clueless. Assuming you turned off the car with the wipers in the down position, all you need to do is, when you re-attach them to the car, make sure the wiper blade sits at the very bottom of the windshield, and there's no way they will hit the windshield frame on the upswing. Very simple.

HTH
Hey everyone i am new member and actually a new nsx owner and im just looking for a place to find a good deal on new windshield arm for the car. Any suggestions?

You can remove the wiper blade assembly without any tools and takes 10 seconds. There is a small button/tab on the wiper blade that lifts a barb and allows you to easily remove the entire blade.
I second this method...but for those just reading (not watching the video, or years down the road if the video is no longer available) I want to clarify that it is not the wiper blade (#17 in diagram) being removed but the wiper blade + holder (#16/18). This detaches from the arm (#14/15) simply and without tools...and with that off the car it is easy to swap out just the rubber/blade.

Last edited:
I took my car to my Acura dealer because he provides free state inspections for all cars purchased there, turns out my wipers are in dismal shape (I never take it out in the rain - who would know?). I told the lot attendant to put on a set of blades rather than mess w/refills. He comes back to me and says they're $62+/blade. I, of course, balked, cursed, etc. :mad: He thought for a minute and told me to come with him to the parts dept. He asks the parts guy for a Legend wiper blade, compares it to the NSX blade and they're identical, except for cost - $13.41 for for driver, $13.93 for passenger (back in '01). He snaps on the Legend blades in a minute; I gave him a $20 for his help. We agree not to tell the GM. :tongue:

Part #s: 76620-SPO-A01 - driver
76620-SOK-A01 - passenger

i bought the whole wiper from advanced, should i just go to the dealership and get just the rubber insert??:confused:

Back