• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Formula Red - R-77 or R-510?

I'm not an NSX owner but I'm rebuilding a BMW motorcycle and really like the NSX Formula Red so I've decided to get it painted that color. In doing research, I've discovered there's two versions of NSX Formula Red. Just dropping by to see which version you guys think is nicer. Or is there really much of a difference?

If it's any help, here's what the bike looks like in BMW's Marakesh Red:

k75spic.jpg

"Formula Red" is the R-77 paint code and "New Formula Red" is the R-510. R-510 was introduced in 2000 and is a shade darker than the original R-77. The difference is noticeable IMO.

FWIW I personally prefer the R-77 or the original Formula Red found on 1991-1996 NSXs.

Last edited:
I prefer the early color. And not just because I have the early color. LOL LOL
Lots of great reds out there. But R-77 is my favorite red.
(Not a real fan of red, but this one just looks right.

nsxtino-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Another nice color.......
F40CHARLES7-07002.jpg
[/IMG]

The sun / photo can also make a huge diference how things look on your screen.
NSXCALCOASTALDRIVE013.jpg
[/IMG]
07.jpg

I was thinking of painting this bike that I built R-77.
Ended up selling it just prior to paint. (had a lot of time in that one)
2006-01-22_0029.jpg
[/IMG]

What a coincidence.:eek:

I am refinishing parts for a customer's vintage BMW motorcycle. Looks just like yours except the side pads on the tank are black.

He is doing the the original color which is a red metallic.

As for the two red's for the NSX there is very little difference and every paint company has eliminated the original tri-coat formulas for these two colors anyway.

I have created my own NSX Formula red tri coat formulas to achieve the original NSX red look, but really, it won't mean much on a motorcycle. You don't have the long panels that show the magenta side tone to the tri-stage color.

Either one and I think you'd be happy.

The 96 is the same red, R77 . I'm pretty sure the new formula red started with the 1999 Zanardi and just stayed on after the Zanardi run was over as Ojas said.

What a coincidence.:eek:

I am refinishing parts for a customer's vintage BMW motorcycle. Looks just like yours except the side pads on the tank are black.

He is doing the the original color which is a red metallic.

As for the two red's for the NSX there is very little difference and every paint company has eliminated the original tri-coat formulas for these two colors anyway.

I have created my own NSX Formula red tri coat formulas to achieve the original NSX red look, but really, it won't mean much on a motorcycle. You don't have the long panels that show the magenta side tone to the tri-stage color.

Either one and I think you'd be happy.

The BMW metallic red is called Mystic Red. I've already got one in that color. :biggrin:

bmwg_homepic_k11rs.jpg

I got a painting quote last week. The guy told me R-77 was a tri-coat and that it required multiple coats.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll go with the R-77.

I love the Pre-97 Formula Red R-77 the best. I've been next to other sports cars that were Red and the R-77 just out does any other Red out there in my opinion.

DSC00985.JPG

Formula Red R-77

Back