• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner - Richmond, VA - 1991 red/ivory

PXL_20231015_215111925.jpgPXL_20231015_215204698.jpg

I'm the proud new owner of this NSX, purchased from another Prime member here: https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/sold-1991-nsx-5mt-red-ivory-68600-miles-jh4na1156mt002504.219551/

I'd actually gone to NC to look at this back in 2019 when it was for sale on Prime by its previous owner. I was also considering a gen2 Viper and ended up buying a yellow 2002 RT/10, partly because I loved the extreme look of it and partly because it was cheaper. NSX prices seemed too high, but I wish I'd known what they were about to do :) The Viper was fun to be seen in, but not much fun to drive, so I sold it about 18 months ago. Its value had gone up too, but not nearly as much as NSXs have.

Then I got lucky that I saw the car was up for sale again now and was still reasonably local to me. I knew from talking to the previous owner that he'd taken great care of it, and after talking to its current owner, I could tell he had also.

Its paint and windshield condition are both so good that I took five hours' of backroads to get home from NC to avoid risking any I-95 rock chips. I did hop on then off in a few places where I knew traffic would be light to save time, though, and damn, this car feels so amazingly solid and stable at 80mph. It really begs you to go faster.

The car was flawless on the trip, but it was painful. I'm 6'3" and there's not enough headroom to get the seat upright enough to not develop neck soreness from holding my head at too much of an angle relative to my torso. I've done three hours in my Miata (top up) before and I fit better in that little thing than the NSX. I remember the previous owner was pretty short when I met him, so I need to look to see if maybe he shimmed the seat up higher or something. I've driven another NSX before and don't remember it being this tight. I may end up cutting some foam out of the seat.

I didn't notice until I got it home on the lift that the '96-'01 wheels on it have the 94'-'95 center caps. But I prefer the darker '94-'95 color anyway so I'm thinking of getting the wheels painted to match.

The wealth of knowledge available here on the forum, both for when I was shopping for the car and for now that I have it, has been really awesome, so thanks to all the people who have posted so much info over the years! I've been able to find an answer to every question I've had.

Welcome. Nice choice of lift as well.
If the seat is not lifted easy enough to have an upholstery shop remove and thin out the seat cushion .

Welcome. Nice choice of lift as well.

Thanks, yeah, I love it! It took me about 10 years, but I finally have the two big things I wanted in a garage - a lift I can stand under and a mini-split HVAC so I can work on stuff year round.

With all the posts I've seen about NSX's scraping the front lip, I was worried I'd have to buy Bendpak's extended-length ramps, but to my surprise it goes up the regular ramps no problem.

Welcome to NSX Prime! That's a really nice example you picked up.

Yeah, I'm 6'1" and the 6'1" to 6'2" range is about as high as you can go in the NSX before you have to start taking drastic measures lol. A lot of the taller owners cut the foam in the seat cushion, as you mention, and just have an upholsterer re-fit the leathers. That buys you another couple of inches. The stock seat bucket frames actually touch the bottom carpet, so it really is the foam that is providing the height/lift.

Congrats on your purchase! I just bought my 94 NSX (in August, 2023) with roughly 21,500 miles at time of purchase from Chicago. I live in Richmond as well. Now I know of three owners of Red NSXs in Richmond, VA: myself, you, and a friend of mine. I am 6'5 btw and I do fit decently comfortable in mine. I haven't taken mine on a road trip. Well, yet.

Thanks! It must be your friend that I talked to in the FB group, on a post for a car that was for sale that's now been deleted. That's great, I hope to see you guys at the local Cars and Coffee sometime, or out on the road. And if you ever have a need to use my lift, you are welcome.

Wow, I am surprised you can get in at 6'5". Do you have your seat all the way back in its tracks, or do you have it forward some so you can recline it back further?

Thanks! It must be your friend that I talked to in the FB group, on a post for a car that was for sale that's now been deleted. That's great, I hope to see you guys at the local Cars and Coffee sometime, or out on the road. And if you ever have a need to use my lift, you are welcome.

Wow, I am surprised you can get in at 6'5". Do you have your seat all the way back in its tracks, or do you have it forward some so you can recline it back further?
Thanks, Josby! Very kind of you. Yes I don't put it all the way back so I can recline it. I just did a trip this weekend in Maryland. Drove 3 hours and 3 hours back. Felt great!

Back