• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Climate Control - Self Diagnosis Question

Hi Guys,
When following the self diagnosis circuit check on page 22-12 of the service manual, does anyone know if the text below means that the indicator is only displayed only while the AUTO and OFF buttons are held in? (ie. you have to keep them pressed while you read the error)

Text from the manual:
Turn the ignition switch ON and turn the FAN switch to AUTO position. Wait for at least one minute on each TEMP display18c through 32c.
Then push both AUTO and OFF on the control unit at the same time. Any problems in circuits "A" through "I" listed as in the diagram (in the manual) will be indicated by the respective indicator coming on.

Thanks
Martin.

Here is the service manual hope it helps. You have to push the buttons at the same time then release not holding them on.

For function selection operation check press the mode button to stop at the step and press off or turn ignition to turn off

Attachments

• ClimateControls.jpg
    ClimateControls.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Climatecontrol2.jpg
    Climatecontrol2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 110
Thanks NSXFriend, but the manual doesn't say anything about releasing the buttons. I did assume that you just press them at the same time then release.

The reason I ask is because if I run through the procedure as described, I do not get any erros show up on the display.
The AC and the ON light do come on though while I have both buttons pressed.

If that is the way it is supposed to work, then this would indicate a problem with my Air Mix Control and/or Mode Control motor.

I currently have a problem where I only get hot air from the blower despite replacing all the capacitors on the PCB for the controller. Hence why I am trying to further diagnose the problem.

If you ever need to remove or repair it Member BrianK has this good info.

http://nsxe-repair.com/

Maybe BrianK can chime in or another member for more details.

Thanks NSXFriend, but the manual doesn't say anything about releasing the buttons. I did assume that you just press them at the same time then release.

The reason I ask is because if I run through the procedure as described, I do not get any erros show up on the display.
The AC and the ON light do come on though while I have both buttons pressed.

If that is the way it is supposed to work, then this would indicate a problem with my Air Mix Control and/or Mode Control motor.

I currently have a problem where I only get hot air from the blower despite replacing all the capacitors on the PCB for the controller. Hence why I am trying to further diagnose the problem.

The "AC" and the "ON" coming on show you have a problem with the MIX and MODE motors.

Just replacing the capacitors is only half of the repair the other half is repairing the damage caused to the circuit board from the capacitor leakage.

Thanks Brian,
I could not see anything obvious when I cleaned it. There was no corrosion or anything like that.

What does the damage look like? What am I looking for?

Ah! There was a black stain around one of the capacitors when I took it off. It looked like it was under the lacquer and wouldn't clean off.
How on earth do you repair that ?

Brian when you are done helping mart I need to pick your brain about the CCU if possible. My CCU conked out about 2-3 years back. I rarely use the thing so it's never been a priority to get fixed. (Usually drive with the windows down and rarely go out in the rain with the NSX)

The only symptoms I have (or can remember) is the following:
1) Initially the display went bad. It was flickering, then eventually just went black. But everything still worked, just couldn't see the display.
2) Recently when I actually tried to turn on the AC/Heater, it only turns on when the dial is turned to full blast. Still gets hot or cold though, but zero control, just full blast.

Thanks much.
Ed

Ah! There was a black stain around one of the capacitors when I took it off. It looked like it was under the lacquer and wouldn't clean off.
How on earth do you repair that ?

It's like a rust bubble under paint just scrape off the solder mask and wash with soap and water then repair any broken circuit board traces.

Brian when you are done helping mart I need to pick your brain about the CCU if possible. My CCU conked out about 2-3 years back. I rarely use the thing so it's never been a priority to get fixed. (Usually drive with the windows down and rarely go out in the rain with the NSX)

The only symptoms I have (or can remember) is the following:
1) Initially the display went bad. It was flickering, then eventually just went black. But everything still worked, just couldn't see the display.
2) Recently when I actually tried to turn on the AC/Heater, it only turns on when the dial is turned to full blast. Still gets hot or cold though, but zero control, just full blast.

Thanks much.
Ed

Hi Ed

Yes you have 2 of the problems people experence with there CCU's. Both are very repairable I just need you to send your control board and I will get you all fixed up. PM or Email me for more info.

Many thanks Brian, I will have another look.
I assume you just have to find some way of joining the tracks back up to bridge the breaks, either with a wire or fine track of solder.

Hi Ed

Yes you have 2 of the problems people experence with there CCU's. Both are very repairable I just need you to send your control board and I will get you all fixed up. PM or Email me for more info.

Will do man. Thanks. I'll print out the deatils off your links and remove the unit...might be a good weekend project for me. :tongue:

Okay, my turn. I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Stock 2001 NSX-T, 30k miles. Will not go into recirculate mode, stays in fresh air mode, recirculate button has no effect. Common problem? Common fix? Thanks in advance for any help, especially where to start troubleshooting.

Okay, my turn. I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Stock 2001 NSX-T, 30k miles. Will not go into recirculate mode, stays in fresh air mode, recirculate button has no effect. Common problem? Common fix? Thanks in advance for any help, especially where to start troubleshooting.

Sounds like just a bad button contact, does it switch to recirc when you go to min temp in auto?

I will check it tomorrow and reply back.
Thank you.

YES! It WILL go into recirculate mode if I set the temp to 60 degrees, but NOT via the manual recirc switch. What's next? And thanks!

I'd be hard for you to do the repair...I'm in Arkansas.
I have the shop manual (CD version), I'll try to figure
out how to get to the switch contacts myself. If that
fails, I'll email you directly and take this off-line.

Back