• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone on here own a Honda Ruckus?

Just thought I would see if there is any other owners here.

I bought my new 09 last week and so far I got about 200 miles on the odometer.

Here it is in all its stock glory right before I bought it.
f3ucf6.jpg

For those that dont know what a Ruckus is,well its basically a scooter made by Honda.It has a 1 gallon fuel tank and you get at least 100mpg.Top speed is about 43-45mph on the stock 50cc motor.

But just like anything,they can be modded.The 150cc swap is readily available so you can hit much more "normal" speeds.

Here is pics of some modded ones.

71752d.jpg

okazawa_z4_l.jpg

aokid_l.jpg

2913877355_8b0eeaa760.jpg

Im reading up for now so I know my mods will work together.Plans are frame extension,wide rear wheel/tire,custom paint,chrome work,motor swap,led's and some other little bits.

Any other owners here?

-Alex

I own one. Its an 05 and pretty much all stock.

I rip on it almost everyday. Its pretty fun little machine. Zip through traffic really good, cheap on gas, great for parking, cheap on insurance.

I only get about 82 mpg though and its not that fast for a top speed. I dream of 45mph.

I own one. Its an 05 and pretty much all stock.

I rip on it almost everyday. Its pretty fun little machine. Zip through traffic really good, cheap on gas, great for parking, cheap on insurance.

I only get about 82 mpg though and its not that fast for a top speed. I dream of 45mph.
I wonder if they improved mpg over the years because mine hit 110 without hesitation.My top speed is usually 40mph but I have gotten it past that.It just takes forever.Maybe if I lose some lbs I can gain some top end. :biggrin:

I just got back from a 30 mile ride.I most definitely will be doing the 150cc swap on this thing.Tired of cars passing me up! Im trying to find a pic of this 1 that had a nos tank under the seat!

I wonder if they improved mpg over the years because mine hit 110 without hesitation.My top speed is usually 40mph but I have gotten it past that.It just takes forever.Maybe if I lose some lbs I can gain some top end. :biggrin:

I just got back from a 30 mile ride.I most definitely will be doing the 150cc swap on this thing.Tired of cars passing me up! Im trying to find a pic of this 1 that had a nos tank under the seat!

Boost that 'ish son... add some vtec solenoids and adjustable valves, and you're golden...

vtec-just-kicked-in-yo.jpg

Last edited:
Vtectapestry.jpg

vtec_yo.jpg

Vtec_just_kicked_in_yo_asia.jpg

vteckick0zu.jpg

f1a71225.jpg

Vtec....
It just kicked in, yo

Those are pretty bad ass looking.....

My friend back in FL picked up one and he talks about it all the time and can't stop modding it. I'll post some pics he sent me. I can remember he did the 150cc swap and some light and guage mods. Eventually I want to pic one up but in CA you need a motorcycle license to drive it. Most other states 50cc bikes don't need one.

Quick question, if you do a 150cc swap and mod it to the extent that the ones in the pics are modded, why not custom fab one from scratch?

I think they are neat and are probably fun as hell, but those modded ones barely resemble the stock scooter.

I spent alot time debating on what I should do.

Big bore it.
150cc swap.

I do want more power out it because the slightly incline or wind and you can feel the difference in performance. But in the end I decided to leave virtually stock because Honda Engineers are smart. I don't want to mess with something that could affect Honda's reliability when it came to this 49cc motor. I rev at 8000rpm WOT all the time on this thing and its going strong.

I did a compression test on it a few weeks at 210 psi with 19,000km on the odometer.

The 06+ Honda changed the main jet needle, pcv system, and got a better map in the ECU, and a 8800rpm redline vs my 8000rpm redline

Next year Canada is getting a 150cc scooter that is fuel injected. I think its something like $4000 CND though.

Last edited:
Quick question, if you do a 150cc swap and mod it to the extent that the ones in the pics are modded, why not custom fab one from scratch?

I think they are neat and are probably fun as hell, but those modded ones barely resemble the stock scooter.
Im not a fabricator by heart and paying someone for custom fab work to that extent would be really expensive.Bolt on parts for this thing are pretty dam cheap.The 150cc swap is less than $500bux brand new.The frame extension is about $200,etc.etc.Plus this thing comes with a 17 digit vin,title,the works so you can ride it on the street without having to subject your project bike for approval.

Some questions:

Is the 150cc engine upgrade a Honda factory motor?

Do scooters less than 50CCs not need to be registered, and therefore, don't require license plates or registration?

How would law enforcement know you went from 50CC to 150CC if you didn't volunteer that info?

I have been toying with the idea of getting a Ruckus for some time (wife and I were just talking about it yesterday in fact)but i never thought of modding it after I bought one...

150 cc swap? Very interesting!

P

Some questions:

Is the 150cc engine upgrade a Honda factory motor?

Do scooters less than 50CCs not need to be registered, and therefore, don't require license plates or registration?

How would law enforcement know you went from 50CC to 150CC if you didn't volunteer that info?
It has a vin so it has to be registered and you will get plates.And no cops wont know the difference if you dont say so.That is unless you get clocked doing 75mph on a scooter rated at 45 tops. :biggrin:

The 150cc motor is known as the gy6.Here is a thread with some info on it.More info than I can tell you. :redface:

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11655

I have been toying with the idea of getting a Ruckus for some time (wife and I were just talking about it yesterday in fact)but i never thought of modding it after I bought one...

150 cc swap? Very interesting!

P
I bought mine just to super mod it.They look so nice when they are fixed up like the pics I posted.Im planning my build out on paper 1st so I wont have too long of down time and I can do it in the right order without having to backtrack.

Last edited:
It has a vin so it has to be registered and you will get plates.And no cops wont know the difference if you dont say so.That is unless you get clocked doing 75mph on a scooter rated at 45 tops. :biggrin:

The 150cc motor is known as the gy6.Here is a thread with some info on it.More info than I can tell you. :redface:

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11655

I bought mine just to super mod it.They look so nice when they are fixed up like the pics I posted.Im planning my build out on paper 1st so I wont have too long of down time and I can do it in the right order without having to backtrack.

I believe the 150cc motor is a Chinese scooter engine. There is an outfitting in California that gives you everything complete for the 150cc swap engine wise.

The next step after the 150cc motor swap is to change the front drum brake to a disc brake setup.

An easier way to get more power of out Ruckus is really just to get a larger cc scooter or buy a 2 stroke 49cc Yamaha BWS. for about $200 you can increase the BWS to a 70cc machine.

I got one of these because I know if I got a real bike, I might get myself killed (just based on my nature of extremes).

I didn't get mine just to be fast. I wanted a fun little scooter that would look all tricked out so that I could ride it around my side of town whenever I felt like it.

Im not a fabricator by heart and paying someone for custom fab work to that extent would be really expensive.Bolt on parts for this thing are pretty dam cheap.The 150cc swap is less than $500bux brand new.The frame extension is about $200,etc.etc.Plus this thing comes with a 17 digit vin,title,the works so you can ride it on the street without having to subject your project bike for approval.

I gotcha. I did not realize so many of the more extreme ones in your pics are bolt on stuff. I was following 2 different builds on different sites a while back and it seemed like a lot of one off fab work.

The one off fab work comes into play when doing engine swaps. However, the most common engine swap is off a GY6 scooter made in China. Since it's so common, there are kits that you can just buy so it will be a straight bolt on.

My problem I've run into is that with each mod I've done, I've needed to re-jet and it's such a pita for someone like me who never dealt with carbureted engines.

I have a "big ruckus" the big model...250cc Looks like a hummer scooter.....

wow..this is so dumb and stupid looking that it is beautiful. :cool: I have never seen one before. How big is it comparing to a scooter? How fast would a 250cc run?

Back