• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommendation of new battery

Can anyone recommend a new battery for my 05 targa?? recently the battery has been dead and I even charged couple times. I guess some of my aftermarket electronic is causing the problem and I hardly drive the car. I have been using a portable jump starter recently. can Anyone recommed a good battery that have enough juicy and can handle with aftermarket electronics?? I went to sears and the guy recommeded Diehard Platinum saying it will be the best.. Can NSX experts help me??

Die hards and Interstate are good batteries. :smile:

I don't care what battery you buy, if there's a drain on it, it will go dead. If you seldom drive the car, as you state, the best idea is to keep a float charger on it at all times. The absolute best idea is to drive it :rolleyes:. Happy Motoring!

Ditto on the float charger. And, if the (poorly designed or poorly installed)aftermarket electronics draw enough current, a low-cost low-power float charger might not even keep up with the drain. Fix the problem!

My OEM replacement battery is 9 years old and still going strong. I put about 3kmi per year on the car, but it gets little use between December and March here in the NE. By the way, my float charger is an el-cheapo Harbor Freight unit I got for under $10. No whiz-bang features on it, but it applies the correct temperature-compensated float voltage, and that's what matters.

I just had my Motorcraft battery replaced under warranty. I've been happy with it though. It only died because I left it hooked up and didn't drive car for a few months so it gradually died.:frown:

You will get many opinions on this, none of them wrong. Costco batteries work just fine if you drive the car regularly. As for me personally, I prefer Interstate batteries. The only battery I would say not to get is an Optima. If you don't drive your NSX that often, get a Battery Tender or other float charger and keep it hooked up to the battery when you aren't driving the car. Battery Tenders have a quick-disconnect connector that you can easily unplug and go if you rig the cable properly.

Ditto on the float charger. And, if the (poorly designed or poorly installed)aftermarket electronics draw enough current, a low-cost low-power float charger might not even keep up with the drain. Fix the problem!

My OEM replacement battery is 9 years old and still going strong. I put about 3kmi per year on the car, but it gets little use between December and March here in the NE. By the way, my float charger is an el-cheapo Harbor Freight unit I got for under $10. No whiz-bang features on it, but it applies the correct temperature-compensated float voltage, and that's what matters.

My 2001 has 27k miles on it and still has the original ACURA battery. I guess those things are pretty good to last 9 years on a car with low mileage and not driven much. It was a Florida car however, with no real winters. It is stored here in the NE now on a Schumacher trickle setup, so let's see how much longer the ACURA battery lasts.
Anyone know who manufactured an ACURA OEM battery in 2001?

Heat is the real enemy of battery life. With the battery in the front, away from the engine & exhaust system, a battery should last longer in an NSX than in most cars. And compared to what it takes to crank my '84 Corvette, for example, the NSX is relatively easy to crank.

It was a Florida car however, with no real winters.
As long as the car was garaged and not driven in stop & go traffic (and having met you and seeing how discriminating you are, I'm sure that was the case:biggrin:), then life in Florida was good.

Note that batteries often fail in winter for the following reasons:
1. Battery capacity drops with temperature (but recovers as temp goes up again)
2. Starter resistance drops with temperature, and so starter current increases at low temp.
3. A cold engine is harder to crank.

Summer heat causes the battery to permanently lose capacity and life, but the warmth of summer makes it easier for a weakened battery to crank the engine. Then winter comes along, and the previously weakened battery is not up to the task.

I looked at my battery and see only the Acura name on it. If there is a manufaturer's name on the battery, it probably can't be seen without removing the battery. I need to do some routine preventative battery terminal & tray cleaning once the weather warms up a little. I'll look for a possible name then. (Its most likely one of the big 3 or 4 manufacturers, such as Johnson Controls, etc).

Last edited:
My 2001 has 27k miles on it and still has the original ACURA battery. I guess those things are pretty good to last 9 years on a car with low mileage and not driven much. It was a Florida car however, with no real winters. It is stored here in the NE now on a Schumacher trickle setup, so let's see how much longer the ACURA battery lasts.
Anyone know who manufactured an ACURA OEM battery in 2001?

right now there are three manufact. johnson controls ( delphi) ,exide, and deka (east penn ,small manfact in pa.) Deka is an excellant battery, i use them in two of my other cars. My 97 nsx came with an acura battery that was dealer instaled in 08, it is a delphi battery, I use an Optimate charger
during off season ,so far no problems !

As for me, I run and Optima Red Top in the NSX and an Optima Yellow Top in my 05 Nissan Frontier - As the others have advised, I keep my car on a battery tender as I don't take it out much.

However, I would not recommend an Optima battery in terms of price. They are expensive as there are other batteries that will do just as well. :smile:

I bought a Diehard Platinum battery because it was consumer reports top rated battery. It is AGM battery like the Optima and it had the greatest reserve power. I felt this would be helpfull because my car sits for long periods. I have found that I still have to use my battery tender or the battery will not start my car if it sits too long.

I will buy a top rated less expensive battery next time.

Back