• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000 Steering Wheel DIY... sort of

Nice! I love my sparco wheel but would kill to get my cruise back. For daily driver would like to have cruise now and then, especially when driving next to cops :wink:

Try s2ki.net or S2000.com there is always someone parting out a car. GL & it looks awesome.

Where are you guys getting your S2K wheels? I can't seem to find them anywhere, and when I do find them they don't have the air bags. :(

Here is the Civic Steering wheel I was talking about. I think It looks better than the S2000 not so Flashy and not so Bubbley, and kinda retains the NSX look.. with the flat airbag,, what
picture.php
do you guys think?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Here is the Civic Steering wheel I was talking about. I think It looks better than the S2000 not so Flashy and not so Bubbley, and kinda retains the NSX look.. with the flat airbag,, what
picture.php
do you guys think?<O:p></O:p>

I think it would be awesome if someone figured out a way to use the ITR/CTR wheel.

I saw another Civic steering wheel, that looks even better but i cant find the damn pic. I will keep searching, the best thing to do is go to e-bay and look thru the different car years for hondas and look for the pic of the steering wheel. thats how I found it the first time.

I think it would be awesome if someone figured out a way to use the ITR/CTR wheel.

The ITR / CTR wheels have the same 4 bolts on them , they are made by momo.

Your logic makes total sense. I dont blame you for not hooking up the bag. Being that there's no real way to tell the exact pattern of the deployment I would rather risk have no air bag than possibly causing more injury to myself by having it rigged up.

I think you guys may be overcomplicating this, but I respect the thoroughness of your thinking. Airbag deployment has to be the made the same for drivers of different heights and seating positions so I think it's already taken into account in the design of the airbag. I do think it's a good idea to sit as far back as possible so that it doesn't go off right in your face. I personally decided to hook it up and that was my whole reason for using the Honda wheel, otherwise I would have gone for a smaller, lighter, sexier wheel than an OEM one.

I think you guys may be overcomplicating this, but I respect the thoroughness of your thinking. Airbag deployment has to be the made the same for drivers of different heights and seating positions so I think it's already taken into account in the design of the airbag. I do think it's a good idea to sit as far back as possible so that it doesn't go off right in your face. I personally decided to hook it up and that was my whole reason for using the Honda wheel, otherwise I would have gone for a smaller, lighter, sexier wheel than an OEM one.
Care to post up your airbag wiring schematics? Is the RSX a single-stage airbag too?

Care to post up your airbag wiring schematics? Is the RSX a single-stage airbag too?

Of course, I'm going to do a full write up on how I did it all pretty soon, just need to find some extra time. I want you guys to have working airbags too! And yes, the airbag is single stage but not a regular RSX airbag. SRS light is not on and everything is just like OEM.

Last edited:
I think you guys may be overcomplicating this, but I respect the thoroughness of your thinking.

Only concern I would have would be how much further back the passenger sits in the NSX compared to the s2k. The steering wheel is much much closer in comparison to how far back I sit in the NSX.

But yeah your right, just trying to look at safety from all angles :smile:

Yea would really be bad if the S2000 airbag slams your head against the back glass. or worse.

Recommended minimum seperation distance from driver to airbag is 10 inches so as long as you're legs aren't too short and you don't sit that close you'll be OK.

BTW I've now made my boss adaptor which is the safest way to fit this wheel to the NSX. I used the Science of Speed short "rapid" hub in the operation.

I will post my write up seperately in a day or so. It is a solid machined from billet CNC piece and is black anodised....I had major concerns with the current methods of fitting these wheels which is why I made this. I think most of you guys will see the thoughts behind it when you read the write up....

Let me just say i'm glad you're putting forth the effort of building/machining an adapter hub for this. I'm curious to see your design. If your adapter was available before I did all this then I probably wouldn't have gone through the effort of doing the research and experimenting. However, I'm happy with the install and I wouldn't redo mine after seeing the outcome.

I do disagree that the "current" method - my method, is unsafe or otherwise questionable. Shear loads, frontal impact loads, or what not... There is such as a thing as overbuilding something which is never a bad thing or making something completely 100% bolt-on...this is the route you're headed.

Recommended minimum seperation distance from driver to airbag is 10 inches so as long as you're legs aren't too short and you don't sit that close you'll be OK.

BTW I've now made my boss adaptor which is the safest way to fit this wheel to the NSX. I used the Science of Speed short "rapid" hub in the operation.

I will post my write up seperately in a day or so. It is a solid machined from billet CNC piece and is black anodised....I had major concerns with the current methods of fitting these wheels which is why I made this. I think most of you guys will see the thoughts behind it when you read the write up....

Just installed mine

it feels greattttttttt!

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 530
Let me just say i'm glad you're putting forth the effort of building/machining an adapter hub for this. I'm curious to see your design. If your adapter was available before I did all this then I probably wouldn't have gone through the effort of doing the research and experimenting. However, I'm happy with the install and I wouldn't redo mine after seeing the outcome.

I do disagree that the "current" method - my method, is unsafe or otherwise questionable. Shear loads, frontal impact loads, or what not... There is such as a thing as overbuilding something which is never a bad thing or making something completely 100% bolt-on...this is the route you're headed.

From an engineering point of view I am not happy with the methods I've seen posted. There is just no way of securely "locking" the wheel in place. With some methods you are using four bolts through oversized holes in the wheel. The bolts are holding the wheel clamped down but they are also handling torsional loads and shear stresses which is not what they are designed to do. I drive around on very twisty roads and the constant turning of the wheel doesn't give me confidence with the simpler method.

I don't feel I've over-engineered this but just cancelled out any potential points of failure and I guess it's up to the individual driver what we feel safe with....

My design is here is you want to have a look

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136639

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited:
Gary, I like that piece. Like I said earlier if something like that was available I would have saved myself the trouble and just bought one. Considering buying one now but the modifications needed to be done to the S2k wheel in your design is making me pause. There's no way I would be able to center drilling those holes 6 holes properly especially with a hand drill. I was wishing this was 100% bolt on. Any ideas? If those bosses don't perfect then I would think it's a potential area for introducing some play in the steering.

Gary, I like that piece. Like I said earlier if something like that was available I would have saved myself the trouble and just bought one. Considering buying one now but the modifications needed to be done to the S2k wheel in your design is making me pause. There's no way I would be able to center drilling those holes 6 holes properly especially with a hand drill. I was wishing this was 100% bolt on. Any ideas? If those bosses don't perfect then I would think it's a potential area for introducing some play in the steering.

Thanks for the comment....

I just hand drilled the big holes. The aluminum is soft so it is just a case slowly drilling. Just do small increments up to 12mm. The other four posts are just spacers. Depending on what hub you used you will possible have already drilled (opened up) the four holes on your wheel already to allow your bolts to pass through and align to your hub. If the hole spacing on the hub is the dame as the SoS one then your bolts will pass straight through the four posts, they are not tapped holes. Hope that makes sense.

where did you get the pins to hook up the cruise control?

I can't find them anywhere
Do a search for "Spade Mini Female Connectors". They are available everywhere. You need the smallest ones you can find. I ended up taking off the plastic molded insulation in favor of heatshrink tubing. You will need to crimp these on or better yet... solder them onto the wire.

n22an.jpg

Finally getting around to do this mod...2 questions:

1) Does anyone have the wiring schematics for hooking up a 3 button AP2/RSX cruise control?
2) The NSX SRS wiring harness is pretty big. Where are good placements for them?

457F7A64-5B69-4D53-91AB-512B915BA3A7.jpg

Back