• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000 Steering Wheel DIY... sort of

Thread from the dead resurrected after 11 years! Perfect timing - I was just posting looking for some way to have a center horn button instead of the small side ones that I keep missing. Strongly considering this - it looks like what I want. What wheel did you use? Is that the RSX wheel? I don't remember that perf pattern. Custom Euroboutique? How did you mount it?

Pages with pictures and wiring diags on how to hook up the cruise wiring, but for the 2 button version. Shouldn't be too difficult to test the pins on the 3 button assembly:
http://regans66.blogspot.com/2010/02/s2000-steering-wheel-for-nsx.html - 4th pic
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...to-DC5-ITR-EP3-AP1-AP2)?p=1316978#post1316978 - post 33

Last edited:
I'm doing this mod myself shortly. The question I have is this. With a 1st generation airbag, how much actual benefit is there over the seatbelts? With the Tanaka airbag recall, I'm wondering if the danger from premature detonation means we'd be safer to not install an airbag at all. That seems pretty simple to do.

So... safer with or without a 20 year-old airbag?

Second question. Is there a resistor I can install to fool the SRS system into thinking the airbag is present, so the SRS light doesn't come on?

Last edited:
I'm doing this mod myself shortly. The question I have is this. With a 1st generation airbag, how much actual benefit is there over the seatbelts? With the Tanaka airbag recall, I'm wondering if the danger from premature detonation means we'd be safer to not install an airbag at all. That seems pretty simple to do.

So... safer with or without a 20 year-old airbag?

Second question. Is there a resistor I can install to fool the SRS system into thinking the airbag is present, so the SRS light doesn't come on?

So...in my younger days I was in charge of all of our company's personal injury litigation. We have over 25,000 driving routes per day all over the US. By virtue of the large numbers, that translated to hundreds of auto accidents. So, by proxy I got real close to accident and injury data. At best, the driver's airbag is going to add 5% to 10% more margin to reducing severe injury than just a seatbelt. By an enormous margin, your seat belt is still the absolute best way to protect yourself in an accident. I always wear it (and I deleted the NSX airbag long ago), but after seeing the truly horrific post-accident photos and medical reports of people who did not wear a seatbelt, I'm even more in favor of it.

You're right to consider the age of the airbag too. Most airbags are rated for a 10-15 year service life. once you go beyond that, it's anybody's guess. I, for one, did not like the idea of driving with essentially a live grenade in front of my face that has a detonator well past its shelf life...

So about fooling the airbag system... I can't believe there isn't already a thread on this. Where's old guy to weigh in?

Last edited:
So about fooling the airbag system... I can't believe there isn't already a thread on this. Where's old man to weigh in?

There is, but I'm too lazy to find it.

Just use a ~4ohm resistor. Or try whatever you got laying around too, it's a completely analog system that is pretty forgiving. The hard part is connecting it to the connector so it can be reversed.

Back