• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cruise Control Mod

Thought I would share this little Cruise Control Mod that I've just finished up on customers car that is in for refresh work. Andrew wanted to upgrade the steering wheel to the NSX-R hub and Momo wheel, but was adamant about keeping the cruise as he is planning to drive the car regularly and going abroad on some trips.

At first I was going to use some after market buttons and build it into the ashtray but then decided to keep everything even the wiring loom from the SRS reel and go with a unique mod

We custom built/moulded the 4 button slot and used the original cruise buttons which I think turned out nicely.

Heres a few pics to give you an idea, once its all bolted up tight and cleaned I'll take some more.

SAM_1959.jpg

SAM_1960.jpg

Thanks! The customer is very pleased, turned out better than expected and its all plug and play, so if he ever needs to remove the console at some stage it just unplugs like the rest!

Did you have to extend the harness or was the factory harness long enough.

Thanks!

Yeah its as close to OEM as I could get it; with doing a total aftermarket mod as such. The owner wanted the OEM NSX-R hub and Momo Tuner wheel, so the sparco buttons option was out. So I decided to venture a different direction and create something unique. [well at least I think it is lol]

looks awesome, I was going to get the Foglight switches from SOS but then I thought it would look ugly with 3 blanks, but you created what I was thinking.

question, what is the other button for? looks like garage door opener? or aftermarket radio controls?

looks good though,

another question is the top a cover for the switches or plastic layer? on top of the switches? would like to see pics of the actual switches from under it!

The other button is a manual/overide entry code for the alarm/immobiliser, in the event the keyfob is lost or battery dies, the owner must press the buttons in the correct sequence to disarm the system.

Not sure I follow the next question correctly, but the top of the panel is custom moulded and is the OEM 4 button panel but modified on the cruise side. The cruise switch is then set into the groove cut out and bolted up. We added a carbon fibre panel underneath to keep it secure.

Hard to explain but I will post pics to show you.

looks awesome, I was going to get the Foglight switches from SOS but then I thought it would look ugly with 3 blanks, but you created what I was thinking.

question, what is the other button for? looks like garage door opener? or aftermarket radio controls?

looks good though,

another question is the top a cover for the switches or plastic layer? on top of the switches? would like to see pics of the actual switches from under it!

Wow, EXCELLENT work, Sudesh! This is exactly what I was thinking about doing, as I also have the NSX-R hub and Momo wheel. I just didn't know if it could be done with the OEM CC switch. My alarm also has a coded disarm option. Where did you find that switch?

hi mate

yes its a great setup for sure. really chuffed with it

with regards to the switch for the alarm, the car has an aftermarket Clifford system in the car, and this switch is installed with it

regards

Wow, EXCELLENT work, Sudesh! This is exactly what I was thinking about doing, as I also have the NSX-R hub and Momo wheel. I just didn't know if it could be done with the OEM CC switch. My alarm also has a coded disarm option. Where did you find that switch?

Many Thanks!

As Andrew [nobby] mentioned, the switch is part of the OEM Clifford alarm in his car, they just attached it to the OEM Honda blank that sits in the slot.

I think that looks absolutely perfect! I love clean little mods like this.

I PM's Sudesh about this, but didn't get any response. I want to do the same thing and have acquired an OEM cruise switch (thanks Shawn!) :D. Anyone know how to wire this properly? Sudesh semed to suggest you could use the existing cable reel, but I don't see any loose wire in the steering column- certainly not anything long enough to reach into the center column from the steering wheel!

Pics would be immensely helpful!

Could he have removed the cable reel from the steering column and moved it closer to the center console so the cable would reach? Just a guess.

Mike

hi mate

sudesh has his hands full at the moment with other things, and NSX work is done when he gets a chance.

if i am speaking to him in the next few days i will let him know

his forum posting, visiting etc can be very hit and miss. one thing for sure is that he is unlikely avoiding u

I PM's Sudesh about this, but didn't get any response. I want to do the same thing and have acquired an OEM cruise switch (thanks Shawn!) :D. Anyone know how to wire this properly? Sudesh semed to suggest you could use the existing cable reel, but I don't see any loose wire in the steering column- certainly not anything long enough to reach into the center column from the steering wheel!

Pics would be immensely helpful!

he probably cut into his reel from under the column

the cable reel plugs into this harness thing under the column
then goes off into another direction

hi mate

sudesh has his hands full at the moment with other things, and NSX work is done when he gets a chance.

if i am speaking to him in the next few days i will let him know

his forum posting, visiting etc can be very hit and miss. one thing for sure is that he is unlikely avoiding u

Thanks, nobby. I don't think he is avoiding me, it's just that I'm almost to the point in my refresh project where I will need to run the wires to do this mod, so I wanted to bump this topic to the top.

he probably cut into his reel from under the column

the cable reel plugs into this harness thing under the column
then goes off into another direction

That's what I thought too, Shawn, but Sudesh says this: "but then decided to keep everything even the wiring loom from the SRS reel and go with a unique mod."

That statement appears to suggest he ran the wire from the SRS reel all the way into the center console and just plugged it into the CC buttons with the OEM harness plug. That is ideally what I would like to do, but I can't see any wires in my steering column that even look close to long enough to reach the console.

Why didnt you use the sparco buttons?
I'm fitting a sparco wheel soon and am using the sparco buttons for cruise control. This method looks interesting.

The Sparco buttons are not a look I want for my NSX. What I love about this mod is it looks factory and uses the factory buttons.

Hi!

Sorry I thought I did reply to your PM! My apologies, I had a few PMs about various NSX bists and must have forgot. And as Nobby mentioned, been very busy.

I did indeed use the wiring from the cable reel, you can separate the reel and use the wiring , but you can also keep the reel complete and still manage to plug it all together, this just takes a bit of re-positioning of the the SRS cable that runs up into the steering colum [the one that has horn signal etc]

Another option would be to make up your own cable but it was much easier to go the route above.

Could he have removed the cable reel from the steering column and moved it closer to the center console so the cable would reach? Just a guess.

Mike

Your pretty much spot on!

If your using mono/nsx-r hub, you cannot use the cable reel at the steering anyway. So YES, the reel was moved to the centre tunnel, way down behind the radio, then the yellow SRS cable that goes up into the steering colum, was also moved and tracked backwards, along the front fire wall and up in behind te centre tunnel too, this way you dont have to separate the cable reel to use wiring.

Why didnt you use the sparco buttons?
I'm fitting a sparco wheel soon and am using the sparco buttons for cruise control. This method looks interesting.

I didn't use Sparco buttons as the owner of this car didn't like the look and neither did I, just my opinion but those buttons look cheap and tacky too me. But we all have our personality and taste and I'm sure there are some who won't like this mod.

Back