• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Titanium bolts on aluminum parts- Any corrosion Problems?

I'm considering using titanium bolts on some suspension components and am wondering if titanium will interact with the aluminum parts and have any corrosion problems.
Also would using annodized titanium bolts reduce any corrosion?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I need to order OEM bolts and am wondering if I should be considering titanium replacements.

Edit: I replaced the sway bars and need to replace the drop links to make them adjustable to solve an interference problem and for adjusting corner weights. This means that I will need to replace the OEM "bolt" that goes through the aluminum suspension part that the lower shock is attached to. I have searched the internet for hours and have not found any steel flange headed grade 10.9 bolts in the M12 x 1.25 pitch. I have only found titanium bolts in this thread and in the lengths needed.

Last edited:
I would stick with OEM. High grade steel automotive fasteners are right up there in strength with the best titanium alloys. Unless you're getting graded/certed Ti replacements, you won't know if you're actually risking your safety. Weight benefits on a handful of suspension fasteners isn't worth the risk.

As far as corrosion, titanium and its alloys are very noble and will not suffer this. However, because of this nobility, the difference in potential with other materials (e.g., steel nuts/nutplates) will "encourage" the steel, even stainless, to corrode. This is even moreso a concern in a salt air environment. Not saying it will happen, but there will be more potential. Aluminum interaction won't be an issue, as it oxidizes too readily and builds up a protective layer of oxide immediately.

All that said, if you're getting graded Ti bolts *and* nuts I guess that all looks fine...on paper. I personally would never buy anything but OEM for suspension fasteners. :smile:

Ti generally has a low galvanic corrosion effect on aluminum (depending on the allow). However, The sheer strength of a Grade 5 Titanium bolt is only marginally better than a high grade steel fastener.

note:Using anti-seize and thread locking compounds where needed will improve the performance of any fastener.

Thanks for the replies. I updated my original post to explain how the bolts will be used and that I can't find any steel bolts with flanged heads in M12 x 1.25 pitch in the longer lengths needed (60mm, 70mm, 90mm and 140mm). The OEM weren't standard "bolts". They had one "ball end" flex joint that I will be replacing with spherical rod ends.
I am concerned that there could be an interaction with aluminum and a resulting corrosion problem. Does anyone have any information about the corrosion potential problem?

Last edited:
Steve,

I actualy spoke to Ryan from bb last night. Vroom is correct... any anti-seize will work and the corrosion effect is almost the same as what we currently have in the car... anti-sieze is the cure.

Vroom is also correct about the strength but is not factoring into account the weight savings.... but I am sure he understands it exsists :)

Regards

I am concerned that there could be an interaction with aluminum and a resulting corrosion problem. Does anyone have any information about the corrosion potential problem?
As I stated in my first post, there is no concern with corrosion/oxidation between titanium and aluminum. The titanium is noble; the aluminum is already oxidized and protected. Are you sure the titanium would not be in contact with any other material?

Steve,

I actualy spoke to Ryan from bb last night. Vroom is correct... any anti-seize will work and the corrosion effect is almost the same as what we currently have in the car... anti-sieze is the cure.

Vroom is also correct about the strength but is not factoring into account the weight savings.... but I am sure he understands it exsists :)

Regards

I do understand the weight savings. That is why all my body fasteners are 7075 aluminum :biggrin:

The bolts will be in contact with the Aluminum forging/casting and plated steel rod ends and steel sway bars... also plated steel washers and nuts.
I spoke with Ryan of Baller Bolts and he said the corrosion problem can be averted with the use of any anti-seize compound that contains copper.

Back