• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving Ambition vs. SOS Laminova intercooler

A month ago in this thread I had mentioned that my SOS Laminova IC was leaking.

I just got the NSX back from Driving Ambition last Friday.

I was blown away by the results on paper and in real-life acceleration feel.

First off I must commend SOS for bringing the Laminova design to the NSX forced induction community. What better marriage between 2 Scandinavian designs (the Autorotor and Laminova) to be offered as single package for the NSX. Both solutions are considered by many to be the most technically advance in the realm of supercharging.

However, while the Laminova is a good idea for the NSX, I felt that the current offering wasn't a good fit based on the following 2 reasons:

1. Not enough cores (there were just 4). Where the SOS Laminova IC connects to the OEM engine is the limitation in the number of cores that can be implemented. I felt that at least a 5th, but more ideally a 6th core probably was warranted. This is based on loosing 2~3 psi (I was running a 13~psi pulley with the SOS Laminova IC at the time)

2. Concerns about the rubber O-rings leaking from any combination of factors (assembly errors, part fabrication errors, part failure, and wear & tear from being heat cycled)

Air Fuel Ratios:

AFR.jpg

Yellow is the SOS Laminova running more boost while the green is the Driving Ambition (DA) running less boost:

POWER.jpg

The purple line (yellow boxes) represents the DA IC. Notice how the line is smoother. The SOS IC (green boxes) starts to oscillate. This part made me wonder if there was alot of turbulence once the air passed the Laminova cores.:

BOOST.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

tubesinstalled_450.jpg

Last edited:
I dont know anything about the da ic. more details please. price etc?

I know you have posted boost and HP #'s but you have never posted charge temps before the cooler and after the cooler on either set up. The Laminova is more restrictive but I believe it is also more efficient at removing heat in very shallow applications.

The balance between charge heat and boost loss is in the hands of the tuner with the ultimate design goal in mind.

For what it's worth, I am still running my original Laminova cooler installed 5 years ago with no leaks so far.

Last edited:
I know you have posted boost and HP #'s but you have never posted charge temps before the cooler and after the cooler on either set up. The Laminova is more restrictive but I believe it is also more efficient at removing heat in very shallow applications.

The balance between charge heat and boost loss is in the hands of the tuner with the ultimate design goal in mind.

For what it's worth, I am still running my original Laminova cooler installed 5 years ago with no leaks so far.

With the Laminova I really felt that I was getting power flexuations in the higher RPM range.

Bats, piggybacking on what jdnsx is saying. Any plans to measure IATs?

What happened to you (i.e. leaky IC) is my biggest fear but if there's a significant drop in IATs with nominal drop in boost pressure it might be worth the risk. Yes, i know boost isn't everything :)

Bats, piggybacking on what jdnsx is saying. Any plans to measure IATs?

What happened to you (i.e. leaky IC) is my biggest fear but if there's a significant drop in IATs with nominal drop in boost pressure it might be worth the risk. Yes, i know boost isn't everything :)

Yea I'm going to measure IATs. I was originally thinking about the Camp 2, but heard that it's simply not worth it, especially in terms of real time readings.

I'm open to any recommendations on other gauge pods/solutions. No ricer pods like A-pillar mounts please.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on the special pricing that will end on the 15th for the new center console that will eliminate the ash tray. I'm thinking about having gauges installed there. I don't want to rush things in my research to the point of missing important details. But right now I've had great luck with a local business PLX Devices and will most likely lean towards them.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on the special pricing that will end on the 15th for the new center console that will eliminate the ash tray. I'm thinking about having gauges installed there. I don't want to rush things in my research to the point of missing important details. But right now I've had great luck with a local business PLX Devices and will most likely lean towards them.

I have my AFR and Boost guages where the ash tray used to be. I don't really recommend it. You can't look at them when it is important because they're way too low, or your hand/shifter blocks the view. If it is something less important than AFR it'd be fine I think.

I have my AFR and Boost guages where the ash tray used to be. I don't really recommend it. You can't look at them when it is important because they're way too low, or your hand/shifter blocks the view. If it is something less important than AFR it'd be fine I think.

Yea, that was one of my concerns. The HKS camp 2 looks so clean and OEMish.

Couple that with a Double DIN conversion and the NSX is updated for sure.

By the sounds of it , we have similar cars except I continue to have the SOS intercooler. I do have the Camp 2 and because I have an OBD1,it runs off the Fcon pro, not through the OBD2 port.*
In one word...amazing. All my inputs are monitored in real time (those that are important to me) and because I have the Fcon,I have 3 trim maps all of which can be altered through the Camp 2 with the switch of a button.
All this through my double din ,a clean look with the tunes playing!!

Can't you use a navpod with PLX guages? they are very flat. Or a monitor in the navpod with PLX hardware?

Just got my Driving Ambition water intercooler back.

As you can see the ends are ceramic coated to help minimize the radiant heat from the engine bay during stop and go traffic from soaking up the intercooler core.

The actual fins are left untouched.

I'll probably have the front mount cooler coated with a thermal dispersant to help assist with removing the heat from the charged air.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I still want to know how you are passing CA smog. I want to know because I may move there and I want to keep my car. My standard CTSC is CARB legal. Your SC system is not. I'd like to have more power but I can't use things that will get me in trouble.

I still want to know how you are passing CA smog. I want to know because I may move there and I want to keep my car. My standard CTSC is CARB legal. Your SC system is not. I'd like to have more power but I can't use things that will get me in trouble.
LA? Give us plenty of warning to hide!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

btw.. it's not impossible to pass smog here. they just make you jump thru flaming hoops to do so.

There is no LEGAL way to pass smog with the SOS SC.

^^ if he has a carb sticker from comptech, he should pass the visual inspection easily. The tech wouldnt know the difference. You already has the ct sticker, so....

^^ if he has a carb sticker from comptech, he should pass the visual inspection easily. The tech wouldnt know the difference. You already has the ct sticker, so....

yes that is what Batman is doing. I am not saying that should or should not be done. I am only saying it is not LEGAL. Some people care some don't.

Back