• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving Ambition vs. SOS Laminova intercooler

I still want to know how you are passing CA smog. I want to know because I may move there and I want to keep my car. My standard CTSC is CARB legal. Your SC system is not. I'd like to have more power but I can't use things that will get me in trouble.

he is getting overlooked on visual for sure... it wont pass if scrutinized closely.

for more power, you can go AEM standalone and get it tuned for more power... come smog time, swap to the stock ECU again.

the aftercoolers, you simply hope is overlooked by the smog tech.

If you have an AEM EMS and you are tuned properly, shouldn't you burn cleaner since you're dialed in, so to speak?

After that your only concern would be the visual inspection, really.

I think it has something to do with CEL when you bring your car in with aem ems and not stock ecu plugged in. It's not about clean or dirty air.

I think it has something to do with CEL when you bring your car in with aem ems and not stock ecu plugged in. It's not about clean or dirty air.

What about the FIC (which I have)? No CEL.

And since it's OBD-1 there was nothing to plug into.

So with that said wouldn't the AEM EMS pass smog from a visual inspection? They dun dig around looking for the stock ECU.

no CEL when running is important, but...

the CEL needs to come ON when the ignition is in the ON position, engine not running. if this does not happen, it is an automatic fail.

in addition, OBDII checks readiness codes of sensors and you can fail if those are not ready.

Gents - Dave has an OBDII car. OBDII has to read a clean ECU and a clean tailpipe. They're both different. BATMANs passing is irrelevant because Dave is OBDII.

Dave - My suggestion FWIW is to keep it stock and CARB legal. Go with a FIC if you're looking for more power. However, your limitation will be the injectors. If you decide to push more power you'll have to swap back to the smaller injectors. Easy on the Autorotors.. not so easy on the Whipples (from what I read).

BATs - "dun".. dude.. I can't keep up with your ebonics!

......Dave - My suggestion FWIW is to keep it stock and CARB legal. Go with a FIC if you're looking for more power. However, your limitation will be the injectors. If you decide to push more power you'll have to swap back to the smaller injectors. Easy on the Autorotors.. not so easy on the Whipples (from what I read).

BATs - "dun".. dude.. I can't keep up with your ebonics!

OBD-2 NSX are the suck for power then.

Good thing there are OBD-1. Otherwise i'd be rolling in a C6Z with intake, exhaust and a tune good for another 50HP.

florida-hurricane-damage.jpg

hurricane1.jpg

Ryu, I can't even do a FIC if I move. And I'm fine with current cold HP levels but now you got me thinking how the CTSC heats up too much on the track. Of course our meth talk (or E85) never got anywhere. Now the new nsx will be out so I'm hesitant to go nuts on anything.

I still want to know how you are passing CA smog. I want to know because I may move there and I want to keep my car. My standard CTSC is CARB legal. Your SC system is not. I'd like to have more power but I can't use things that will get me in trouble.

LA? Give us plenty of warning to hide!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LOL My thoughts exactly. But we don't have to worry about him moving to LA. He would have to become a Lakers fan and that won't happen:biggrin:

All kidding aside it would be great to have you part of the SoCal group Dave. Getting yours to pass smog with the CTSC won't be that hard. Besides we need more CTSC NSX's here as we are getting over run with guys going turbo lately.

Last edited:
Dave dude it seems to me you are looking for the perfect solution: crazy power and carb legal. Problem is, there isn't one. You just have to live with the compromise or hassle if u want to go for mad power.

Ryu, I can't even do a FIC if I move. And I'm fine with current cold HP levels but now you got me thinking how the CTSC heats up too much on the track. Of course our meth talk (or E85) never got anywhere. Now the new nsx will be out so I'm hesitant to go nuts on anything.
Still working on the heat soak solution. I'm just A.D.D. when it comes to the NSX. I'm currently in the process of putting together a custom Brembo kit with off the shelf Honda parts (85% done), building a custom VRH (50% done), still working thru my steering rack rebuild (need to send back), and still have to install a prototype radiator for testing (waiting for temp sensors).

But hey! At least I got my window-auto-up working! :biggrin:

There's a way to fix the heat soak issue with Meth. I just know it.

LOL My thoughts exactly. But we don't have to worry about him moving to LA. He would have to become a Lakers fan and that won't happen:biggrin:

All kidding aside it would be great to have you part of the SoCal group Dave. Getting yours to pass smog with the CTSC won't be that hard. Besides we need more CTSC NSX's here as we are getting over run with guys going turbo lately.

I say not going to happen. His NSX would have to be driven here.......

quick question to confirm...

With either DA or Laminova intercooler, is a new supercharger intake snout required due to the whole SC being raised up or does the Throttle Body just raise up with it? How about a new belt? Any affects on the stock CT pulley setup?

I think the long term solution is build a better intake manifold the Comptech is out dated. See the attached this is mine and has over 40SQ inches of cooling and lots of room left for air.
This also has other advantages like the relocation of the recirculating valve for easy service, standard off the shelf IC core for about $500.00, Bolting on many different SC's. and it allows use for your targa top storage. This will also work for Turbos with a diffrent top plate.

I’m currently running a 2.5" core now but I also have a 4" core that drops in if needed both are off the shelf products of Fluidyne.
The last time I had it tuned with the SOS AEM 2 at DA we had 525RWHP on a 3.2L. the highest recorded intake temp was 139 degrees with 19 PSI on my Whipple 2.9L SC. I am not interested in building these but will give all my drawings to anyone who needs them and is willing to have these produced. Ken

Wow Ken.... how long you been working on this? How is it your targa top still fits? I don't quite get that. Does this manifold not sit higher?

Wow Ken.... how long you been working on this? How is it your targa top still fits? I don't quite get that. Does this manifold not sit higher?

This has been on my car for about 4 years now. I used up the space below the other intakes available. We have a large area below the NSX intake manifold so my setup sits about the same hight as the stock intake. Targa is no problem.
Ken

Last edited:
Back