• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil change? Every 3,000?

I use Amsoil, Denso tall filters and Auto-Rx. I've owned my car almost 10 years and it had 70K miles on it when I bought it. I change the fluids and filter every 3000 to 5000 miles. Now that she is fed by twin turbos and stroked there is normal oil consumption to the tune of about 1/2 quart every 750 miles or so.

I only use the best fram filters and royal purple oil but because I was told its good stuff, not because I know better. Any thoughts on this combo?
I change it every 3,500 and plan to continue although it is $120 every change :/
I also run 2-3 ounces of the Lucas gas treatment in my tank every other fill up. I just keep the Lucas in my trunk.

I only use the best fram filters and royal purple oil but because I was told its good stuff, not because I know better. Any thoughts on this combo?
I change it every 3,500 and plan to continue although it is $120 every change :/
I also run 2-3 ounces of the Lucas gas treatment in my tank every other fill up. I just keep the Lucas in my trunk.

How is it costing your $120 every change? I use RP & it only cost's me $50-60.

Use the Acura oil filters, not Fram.

In response to the OP's question:

Yes: I firmly believe changing the oil every 3000-5000 miles is good practice. While in theory the molecules in synthetic "oils" never really wear out there are additives that do get used up and these additives are what make todays oils so superior from those of the past. I want them fresh.

I also think its good practice change your oil once a year regardless of mileage (just likey your manual says) because over time waxes and impurities can build in the oil, especially over the winter or in colder climates, stop and go driving, that cause thickening and can affect oils ability to flow and lubricate.

I myself use MB1 0-30 only because MB1 is what I've aways used and all three of my Hondas are/were clean as a whistle and running like new when they passed 200,000 miles, so I'm sticking with what I know...AND since common sense tells me most engine wear occurs at startup, before the engine oil is warmed to its operating viscosity and flowing properly, I want the oil that stays closest to that operating viscosity and thickens the least when its at ambient temp in the crankcase and filter. I choose the upper number based on what the manufacturer says is best viscosity for that engine and its lubrication system.
Don't forget that fuel contamination from fuel passing by the rings and into your oil pan also degrades the performance ability of your oil. The more start-ups and the longer the oil is in there, the more fuel build-up there is.

Oil dosn't thicken with temperature but rather thins out. Every oil does. The second number in the oil's multi-viscosity name refers to the relative viscosity at operating temperature (~215*F). A straight 30 weight oil will be a heavy 30 weight at ambient temp but a certain thinner viscosity at 215. A 5W30 will be better for cold startup but will have the same viscosity at 30 weight. Technically a 0W40 will have a thinner cold-start viscosity while being thicker than a straight-30 or 5W30 weight oil at operating temperature. Again, this is at a thinner viscosity than any of them are at ambient.

I like MBaker's BMW recommendation by changing oil based on fuel used.

If you drive your car one the street and not aggressively, you can go longer without an oil change than you can if you are FI or track your car. The more you track your car, the more frequent you should change your oil.

I use Amsoil, Denso tall filters and Auto-Rx. I've owned my car almost 10 years and it had 70K miles on it when I bought it. I change the fluids and filter every 3000 to 5000 miles. Now that she is fed by twin turbos and stroked there is normal oil consumption to the tune of about 1/2 quart every 750 miles or so.

Hugh, what's your opinion on Auto-Rx? I've used it on several of my cars, specifically my Legends for conditioning valve stem seals and it seems to be the one additive that works. Not big on additives other than Techron---

......(they don't have ultra)..... 2 yrs interval with 7xx miles is reasonable to change the oil or is it a waste?

Sorry to hear that you don't have Ultra in your area.

Me personally I don't have an issue with time on the oil as oppose to mileage with regards to a high quality synthetic like Amsoil or Ultra. With lower quality oils and group 1 & 2 basestocks I would follow the "recommended" mileage and time intervals.

This one?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Cxiiy7odmA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Cxiiy7odmA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Hugh, what's your opinion on Auto-Rx? I've used it on several of my cars, specifically my Legends for conditioning valve stem seals and it seems to be the one additive that works. Not big on additives other than Techron---

Been using Auto-Rx for about 8 years. I think the stuff is great.

Back