• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5-Point Harness and OEM seats

Can I see a couple photos of what some of you have done for a harness setup with the OEM seats? I'd like to see what it looks like and where the mounting points are. :)

First is my setup and second is DocJohn's. My pics are several years old and since then I have replaced the belts and added a Titanium Dave's anti-sub bar along with a racing cushion that has the cut out for the anti-sub belt so it doesn't wrap around the front. DocJohn uses the oem cushion but with the cutout for the anti-sub belt.

6353152_DEn3S-XL-1.jpg

6454496_Arvqu-XL.jpg

6454497_QdXfZ-XL.jpg

That's one thing I'm not sure of yet, wrap the 5th point centered on the front, or through the seat. Sitting in the car, I'm thinking through the seat will cut it pretty close and be uncomfortable for me (I'm about 190lbs and fill the seat).

Which harness bar are you using? Where do the other straps mount to?

RSO 34,
DO U have any close up of how the lap belt straps bolted to TiDave harness bar?
i have the same harness and bar, just dont know how to mount the lap belt straps to the bar.. angle and what not.

thanks

That's one thing I'm not sure of yet, wrap the 5th point centered on the front, or through the seat. Sitting in the car, I'm thinking through the seat will cut it pretty close and be uncomfortable for me (I'm about 190lbs and fill the seat).

Which harness bar are you using? Where do the other straps mount to?

I'm using a bar from a vendor I would never recommend so forgive me for not using his name.

I will try to take current closeups to show mounting spots.

Wrapping the 5th point around front of cushion not recommended because you can slide forward in an impact so through seat with Dave's sub bar should be used. I am 6'1" and 220lbs and it works fine for me. Racing harnesses are supposed to be " tight".

Subscribed.

I know some harness bars require some interior trimming to install correctly. I think the TI Dave bar avoids this, but other sometimes-available bars need it. If anyone has pictures of exactly what needs trimming, I'd be very curious to see. I did some searching and it's been described many times, but you know the cliche: picture = 1000 words.

Thanks.

I know which vendor you're avoiding, it's the same one who shafts 50% of customers.

Anyways, I basically want a harness bar that bolts in firmly and safely without me having to do major interior modifications and avoid cutting panels if possible. Then, I want to know where the anchor points are for not only the harness bar, but also the harness. I've already found a thread about the seat modification for the 5th point, so once I figure out everything else, I'm moving forward.

Also, where to buy whichever harness bar fits the above description, helps too. :)

I wouldn't run 5 points with a stock seat, the seat wasn't designed with harnesses in mind. They are generally reserved for non-reclineable racing buckets. Also if you were in an accident that caused the roof to cave in you would have nowhere to go because your body can't move side to side like it can with a stock 3 point belt.

Leave the harnesses for caged race cars, for your own safety.

we have had some really good in depth discussions on prime throughout the years about this.In the end we have all decided to do whats best for our own needs.I'm happy with my choice of the comptech bar which adds stifness to my T because it not only bolts to the oem lapbelt C pillar location but also to the rear seat bolts.My subelt is simply the simpson model bolted to the floor pan.

I wouldn't run 5 points with a stock seat, the seat wasn't designed with harnesses in mind. They are generally reserved for non-reclineable racing buckets. Also if you were in an accident that caused the roof to cave in you would have nowhere to go because your body can't move side to side like it can with a stock 3 point belt.

Leave the harnesses for caged race cars, for your own safety.

AGREED 100% from first hand experience! Got this same advise from a rep at Willans harness just two weeks before my wreck. would not have lived should I have had harnesses.

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

BeatDeadHorse.gif

The safety equipment or combination thereof used by an individual is their choice based on their own personal risk threshold and judgement.

Now, before this gets utterly derailed.....pics of the B-Pillar mounting for those harness bars?!? :biggrin:

Now, before this gets utterly derailed.....pics of the B-Pillar mounting for those harness bars?!? :biggrin:

sorry for the delay in pics but I am on the road on trial so most likely will not get a chance until the weekend unless I get a verdict early tomorrow afternoon.

As the saying goes, patience is a virgin.....

sorry for the delay in pics but I am on the road on trial so most likely will not get a chance until the weekend unless I get a verdict early tomorrow afternoon.

As the saying goes, patience is a virgin.....

He he he, not trying to rush anyone, just trying to keep the thread on the "how does this fit in the car" topic rather than degenerating into the philosophical debate of "should one put this in their car". :smile:

AGREED 100% from first hand experience! Got this same advise from a rep at Willans harness just two weeks before my wreck. would not have lived should I have had harnesses.

I disagree and think you would've been fine either way.

Injuries in rollovers generally result from the head or other body parts being partially ejected (or exposed) to the side window, head contact with the door frame (with a 3-point belt you are directed that direction), or in the body "dropping" onto the roof when the car comes to rest upside down.

During a rollover the it is not unusual to see g-loads of 10 to 35. It is quite impossible to control any actions of the body by human force at much more than 5g if even that. You have absolutely NO POSSIBILITY OF CHOOSING THE DIRECTION OF YOUR BODY (ducking out of the way) You are basically along for the ride. Severe head and neck injuries usually occur NOT by the roof collapsing but by the body dropping down on the roof. During the event, the body is basically suspended in space (even in a harness), you have no opportunity or possibility to duck or move out of the way of a collapsing roof. At the end of the event (if the car is inverted) the risk is that the body drops down and the head hits the roof causing the head or neck injury.

A properly installed and worn 4, 5 or 6 point belt will help to keep the body properly positioned in the seat which is the best source of protection. A very tight lap belt might even get you an inch lower (further away from the roof). Most newer (1990+) cars have significant roof structures that even when collapsed provide more protection than you might imagine. Ask any EMT and they will tell you that they seldom see serious head or neck injuries resulting from a crushed roof.

John Melvin (nationally recognized independent racing safety expert) touched on this topic at a SCCA National Convention with basically the information above. As long as a 4, 5 , or 6 point belt is installed in COMPLETE compliance with the manufacturers instructions you will be better off with such a harness in a rollover.

Back on topic...

So, are there any 5-point DOT approved harness options out there? If so, which brand and link?

Also, which harness bar option is the best choice for the NSX without destroying panels. :)

i personally have TiDave harness bar and really like it.. no cutting of interior whatsoever.. oh yeah i need to mention that i have the 1st gen bar for the coupe, which is also the last one made. sos sells the v2 but require u to cut the panels..so aside from that, i don't think anyone out there made a bar that doesn't require cutting the interior..

pm TiDave maybe he might have one somewhere.. maybe.. i don't know for certain.

i personally have TiDave harness bar and really like it.. no cutting of interior whatsoever.. oh yeah i need to mention that i have the 1st gen bar for the coupe, which is also the last one made. sos sells the v2 but require u to cut the panels..so aside from that, i don't think anyone out there made a bar that doesn't require cutting the interior..

pm TiDave maybe he might have one somewhere.. maybe.. i don't know for certain.

Any idea if it works for the targas?

been on the back-burner...

I believe titaniumdave is the Prime member being referenced. He had fab'd some NSX-application harness bars.

FWIW, I have an uninstalled/unused gray mini texture NSX harness bar (no cutting/modification required) , front-seat NSX fire extinguisher mount, Schroth 6-point camlock harness (black/gold) + Schroth 4-point camlock harness (black/gold), Simpson 6-point camlock harness (red/silver) + Simpson 6-point camlock harness (red/silver), Cobra & blank harness-belt pads (black), children's safety belt adjusters (lowers shoulder-belt, adds comfort for adults).

I've been wanting instead to go w/ an RM-Racing'like harness-bar (single bar connecting b-pillars to which shoulder harness-belts fasten onto, lap harness-belts fasten to seats' rear floor-bolts). I have some Sabelt camlock harnesses I was gonna use w/ this setup.

I'll snap some pics & make a marketplace thread this weekend for the harness-bar & accompanying bits. Jeez, I got too much (unused) NSX stuff... =/
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/member.php?u=9035

Also if you were in an accident that caused the roof to cave in you would have nowhere to go because your body can't move side to side like it can with a stock 3 point belt.

And that side to side motion and total lack of control that a 3 point has is much more dangerous in all other types of accidents where the roof DOESN'T cave in. Strong B pillars in the NSX, especially the targa. Car has very low center of gravity. A full rollover is less likely.

It is a trade off. Do you want more safety in non-lethal type accidents where you have fewer injuries or death.... or do you want to flail around the cabin in those accidents but allow your head/body to duck the one super accident where the roof fully caves in.

I take it your not Joe Marko who you cut and pasted this from? Good info, but next time cite your sources :)

http://www.justracing.com/driver_safety/viewtopic.php?p=90

Mine may have been a one off, but when I sat in the drivers seat a few weeks after the wreck my head protruded out what once was the glass the t-top from my eyes up. But good to know that you said I would have been fine either way.

Error on worst case scenario.

I disagree and think you would've been fine either way.

Injuries in rollovers generally result from the head or other body parts being partially ejected (or exposed) to the side window, head contact with the door frame (with a 3-point belt you are directed that direction), or in the body "dropping" onto the roof when the car comes to rest upside down.

During a rollover the it is not unusual to see g-loads of 10 to 35. It is quite impossible to control any actions of the body by human force at much more than 5g if even that. You have absolutely NO POSSIBILITY OF CHOOSING THE DIRECTION OF YOUR BODY (ducking out of the way) You are basically along for the ride. Severe head and neck injuries usually occur NOT by the roof collapsing but by the body dropping down on the roof. During the event, the body is basically suspended in space (even in a harness), you have no opportunity or possibility to duck or move out of the way of a collapsing roof. At the end of the event (if the car is inverted) the risk is that the body drops down and the head hits the roof causing the head or neck injury.

A properly installed and worn 4, 5 or 6 point belt will help to keep the body properly positioned in the seat which is the best source of protection. A very tight lap belt might even get you an inch lower (further away from the roof). Most newer (1990+) cars have significant roof structures that even when collapsed provide more protection than you might imagine. Ask any EMT and they will tell you that they seldom see serious head or neck injuries resulting from a crushed roof.

John Melvin (nationally recognized independent racing safety expert) touched on this topic at a SCCA National Convention with basically the information above. As long as a 4, 5 , or 6 point belt is installed in COMPLETE compliance with the manufacturers instructions you will be better off with such a harness in a rollover.

Back