• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recaro fitment questions.

I have done some research on getting Pole Position seats for my NA2. Here are my findings so far.

Popular option right now are the PP ABE seats because they are 2 inches wider at the hips and allow for the use of the OEM buckle and SOS rails fit perfectly. And the extra space around the hips wont hurt. I'm 5'11" 195 pounds with a 35 waist. I had the Bride low max for a bit and they were tight for me.

Then we have the NSR-R seats. Be it the OEM or aftermarket (DF,KSP, ATR shell) with the beautiful exposed carbon-Kevlar overlay. I was talking with the owner of the green NSX-R at NSXPO and it never crossed my mind to try out the seats....stupid me. If I pursue this avenue, here are my options. Keep in mind all the options below can be used with the OEM buckles. That is why I haven't mention the regular PP seats.

1-Get a home equity loan and buy the OEM seats with electric rails. (or regular rails) $$$$$
2-Buy the DF or KSP knock offs if I can find them. $$$$
3-Get the shells from ATR and then source cushions and skins. Skins I can find, my issue is the foam. I cant get or find a clear answer if any of the other seats can be used as donners for the foam. (FIA, NG, SPG etc) $$$
4-Get the ABE with SOS rails and be done with it. $$
5-Someone messages me that they have options #1-2-3 and buy them form them. :)

My thought process is that I want to buy seats that I will never sell again. I am at the point now that I do not mind paying more money for special parts. I just dont know if I fit in the NSX-R seats . What other seat can I try that is EXACTLY the same size as those. Any feedback or images would be highly appreciated.

What model of Bride did you have ? Was that the "wide" model ? How was the fitment into the car ? (rubbing on glove box or door panel) ?

Also for another option I believe you can have custom PP ABE made by AS Motorsports. Gives you the option of getting the carbon fiber version too.

It was the Low Max model. I actually bought the car with them inside. Drove with them maybe 10 miles before putting my red oem seats inside. Everything seems to fit fine. But I don't even think I moved them at all. :)

Yes, I have reached out to Adan at ASM. Just looking at my options for now.

Get the pole positions and be done. Nsx r seats are for 34 waist max any bigger go with the pole positions they are a little wider at the base allowing for larger waist sizes. Out of all the seats the oem nsx seats are really comfortable and easy to get in and out of so maybe you may want to get a set to retrim.

I went through a similar thought process and did #4. No regrets but I did not like using the OEM seat belts. This is with UK market DC2 ITR rear seat belt buckles. I am a few pounds heavier than you and an inch taller, but I would not want anything more narrow. These were perfectly comfy on a recent 2500 mile road trip.
buckle-jpg.171914

NSX-R seats are more tight around the midsection than pole positions. Keep that in mind.

BTW speaking from experience, KSP seats look like utter shit unless you get them reupholstered.

I went through a similar thought process and did #4. No regrets but I did not like using the OEM seat belts. This is with UK market DC2 ITR rear seat belt buckles. I am a few pounds heavier than you and an inch taller, but I would not want anything more narrow. These were perfectly comfy on a recent 2500 mile road trip.
buckle-jpg.171914

Nice! I am waiting to install my set of abe with sos rails, just curious, whats wrong with the oem seat belt and what makes the dc2 rears better? do you have the oem item number for the dc2 seatbelts? thanks

buckle-jpg.171914
Man that looks nice!!!

Which rails did you end up using?

Man that looks nice!!!

Which rails did you end up using?
Thanks!

They are SoS low rails. Be aware that they are a little fiddly to install *and* the 'low' version don't move forward quite as far as you might expect. I'm 6' long torso and used to drive with the OEM seats about 3/4 back and reclined back the firewall. With the Recaro's I have them set to drag the carpet and one notch of 'recline' for headroom. This means I have the sliders ALL the way forward. Unless you are a very long legged 5'11" I think you might prefer the standard version.

Very interesting. I'm actually 5'10.5"" and 35 waist. With short legs for my height. So I think the ABEs with the SOS low rails will be perfect.

I wish I had someone near me with these seats to try them out.

I think you'll love the seats and you'd be welcome to try them if you ever got to town, but I would strongly advise getting the standard and not the 'low' version of the SoS rails.

I am also in the process of swapping out my stock seats with NSX-R style red Recaro Abe thru AS Motorsport, it is literally same seat as the original NSX-R except the white Recaro lettering is in a different position to the NSX-R. I think they look great other than the lead time is like 3 months, I will like go with the RKY seat rails and I am 6'2 hopefully this will give me some more headroom.

I am also in the process of swapping out my stock seats with NSX-R style red Recaro Abe thru AS Motorsport, it is literally same seat as the original NSX-R except the white Recaro lettering is in a different position to the NSX-R. I think they look great other than the lead time is like 3 months, I will like go with the RKY seat rails and I am 6'2 hopefully this will give me some more headroom.

They are not literally the same seat. They look similar, but the ABE are wider and have smooth backs vs NSX-R skeleton like backs. The seat covers from the PP or PP ABE also don't fit the NSX-R seats.

Correct. The NSX-R and NSX-S seats are not the same as any other Recaro seat. The measurements of those seats and the regular pole position are the same as far as fitment around the occupant. The ABE are 2 inches wider around the waist. This also helps with the buckle. You can still use the OEM one or better yet the NSX-R ones for a better fit.

Look into replica porsche 964 /993 rs seats. They look similar to nsx r seats with the reinforced backing but the seat bottoms more like regular pole positions.

The OEM seat belts don't work well with the ABE which is why you see most people use fabric receivers from a different vehicle. I installed ABE with OEM receivers in my buddy's car and it works, but it doesn't work well. The receiver is has so much tension on it that the button doesn't want to reset (pop back out) easily after pressing it. We're going to replace his with fabric receivers soon.

The OEM R or S seats are no longer available new and incredibly rare to find used, so even if you can afford the 20-30K price tag, you'd have to track some down first.

Out of all your options, I would go with ABE + fabric belt receiver. I wouldn't trust any of the aftermarket R style seats. They haven't gone through any crash testing (or likely any type of stress testing at all) so who knows how safe they are.

Out of all your options, I would go with ABE + fabric belt receiver. I wouldn't trust any of the aftermarket R style seats. They haven't gone through any crash testing (or likely any type of stress testing at all) so who knows how safe they are.

What exactly are the fabric belt receivers?

Agreed with Chris. People tout perfect fitment wtih the ABEs, but I've found the OEM receivers don't fit perfectly, at least not on the RFY rails. Obviously much better than the FIA version, but still far from perfect.

Here's a link to the install video I made. The factory rigid belt receiver doesn't work well because it's still being forced into the opening when mounted to the seat rail. So i assume it will happen with any seat rail, whether RFY, SOS, PCI, etc. Also, I don't think the factory NSX-R belt will be any better. I could be wrong on that, but the factory R receiver just has a longer rigid bracket on it. I think the lap belt holes on the factory R seats are slanted more so the belt receiver can point up more.

Here’s a shot of a OEM R seat and you can saw how the receiver is able to point upwards.

IMG_0225.jpeg

The OEM seat belts don't work well with the ABE which is why you see most people use fabric receivers from a different vehicle. I installed ABE with OEM receivers in my buddy's car and it works, but it doesn't work well. The receiver is has so much tension on it that the button doesn't want to reset (pop back out) easily after pressing it. We're going to replace his with fabric receivers soon.

The OEM R or S seats are no longer available new and incredibly rare to find used, so even if you can afford the 20-30K price tag, you'd have to track some down first.

The Type S seats and all the associated parts are available from Amayama - I haven’t checked for the R parts.

The Type S seats and all the associated parts are available from Amayama - I haven’t checked for the R parts.
You can try to order them but I know a handful of people that have tried to order (and would gladly pay oem msrp) only to have their orders cancelled due to the parts being discontinued. I think there’s a reason why both R and S seats have gone for such a high amount on the used market (YAJ)….

I think last time I heard there was only one side available new.

Back