• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY: the S2000 glovebox mod

Hi Primembers

This mod came to my mind a long time ago, and finally I decided to share it with you:biggrin:
Owning an S2000 in my early ages, I found that one of the very few inconvenients of the NSX is that there is almost no room luggage to fit small items and personal belongings such as home keys, wallet, mobile phones, chargers, papers and so on...
Only way is to place them all togheter in the centre glovebox, but to find them may really gets anoying after a while :biggrin: there is no doorcard compartments, and the dash glovebox is too far away to use it while driving. The 94+ double centre glovebox must be even harder to use

So I remembered to add the S2000 vertical glovebox in place of the centre speaker!

5607266026d9f5c5d5af.jpg

For my Reventon build thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157635, I will not modify its interior (for now) as for the NSX-R, but will include this glovebox:wink:

I got my S2000 glovebox from my good friend Shawn, that bought and send it to me. Thank you Shawn!! :biggrin:

For this mod, I have to sacrifice an S2000 glovebox and an NSX centre piece
There may be other ways to do it, we could do a fiber replica of the NSX part to avoid destroying it, but this way it seemed much easier to me, and I have no much experience working on fibre and molding

So, first task is to remove the leather from the NSX centre piece. Some heat or boiling water will soften its glue and it can be easily removed without tearing it

dsc02447x.jpg

Then, with a dremel I cut both pieces as in the picture so i could fit them one into the other. After some testing, here´s how it started to look like. One good thing is both doors have the same width, so they perfectly match, only diference is S2000 one is made in plactic while ours is covered with leather, but we can´t hardly notice the diference:wink:
Some temporary bolts hold the 2 parts togheter

dsc02443uy.jpg

here´s how it looks from the inside:
dsc02448t.jpg

dsc02449sk.jpg

Be sure to able to open both doors, not at the same time of course, before you definitely join the 2 parts togheter

dsc02445x.jpg

dsc02446z.jpg

The S2000 has a 2nd glovebox with 2 more comparments on top of the vertical one, sometime called the secret glovebox as its opening is not imediately intuitive. To keep it simple, I won´t fit that secret compartment, and simply fit there the OEM centre speaker attached to its original cut piece.

dsc02450ey.jpg

dsc02451e.jpg

Then I will smooth the joins with some poliurethane foam or some fibre, and cover the part with leather. The door will be left uncovered because of the opening botton.
Glovebox depth must also be reduced, but I will deal with that later
I will include the 12V plug of the S2000, located on the sidewall of the glovebox.

What do you think?
Fell free to add your own mod and solutions here

Really Cool! I'm always looking for more storage in my NSX... this would be a great solution!

Very good idea, it is true that the lack storage space in the cockpit of the NSX, I'm eager to watch more of your work, thank you to you for services you provide to the community NSX:smile:

Thanks for the props Hugo I did mine a little different
I used a Soilder gun to melt the shape of the NSX Centre

I am not finished cuz I was waiting on you to post how you did it.

my versions It will overlay the Original Leather so no need to glue
the original leather back onto the Centre.

I will retain the upper door but will need to trim it to fit.

as for the box I will cut it in half remelt the box to a smaller version
I will post my results in this thread if you dont mind let me know.
I can start another thread but if i post in this thread all the info needed would be in one place.

2012-04-07_12-54-20_450.jpg

2012-04-07_12-54-36_971.jpg

have you figured out what to do with the speaker?

I am not sure if I want to cut into the S2000 door yet.

and the trunk release I might leave it and make it into a Push button start.

also the extra Cig lighter I am going to relocate it into the box next to trunk release.

I have waited so long to talk about this mod per your request.

Im excited.

and while we are at it I will tell you guys about the doorarm rest mod I am working on, the parts are sourced from a 2009 Porsche boxster S
creating a glove box in each of the doors.

with Hugo's advice I discovered it will have plenty of room in the door panels

Last edited:
Hi Shawn! I told you there were several ways to do it
Please, you can absolutely post any pic you want here yes, let´s keep all the info packed in one single thread :)
I will include my speaker on top, in place of the 2nd s2000 door that I won´t include and to be replaced by the original cut piece of the NSX that holds the speaker.
In your case, as you want to keep the top door, I don´t know where you can fit it, maybe you could simply delete it?

Anyway, thank you for your patience Shawn, I have been really busy with my double build project that I couldn´t found time to work on this mod earlier
Now is the perfect timing, with cars being disassembled to take measures and do some fitment tests.

Last edited:
Subscribed and very interested as I've changed my ICE so have no use for centre speaker ...

Please share more on the door storage ...

Thanx and regards,

Paul

Subscribed, as I removed the center speaker in the LoveFab car.......and was wondering how best to utilize that space?

Brian

This looks really neat. I considered trying this a while back but wasn't really sure how to make it work. If this turns out well, I may give it a try.
I built a new glovebox that is a good bit bigger than stock but I can never have too much storage space in this car.

just bought a S2000 centre storage, damn you Hugo for putting these ideas in my head!! and more on the door pocket idea!!!!

Subscribed and very interested as I've changed my ICE so have no use for centre speaker ...

you can't help playing with honda perfection!!!!

Last edited:
as regards leaving the release switch in the box, I took over 2 1/2 inches out of the depth
z2012-04-21-333800x600.jpg

and the switch would have been about here....
z2012-04-21-316800x600.jpg

so it might be tight....

Hugo... if it's not too late, lift yours a little and it'll let the door lay flat on the centre glove box
z2012-04-20-288800x600.jpg

i'm now looking for a suitable cup holder to work into the lid!!!

Great result Jonathan, thanks for the detailed write-up!
One question, since I've deleted the center speaker (no radio at all in the car) can the top portion (what S2000 folks here call the "secret compartment" ;^) be utilized as-is for additional storage?

Cheers,
Brian

awesome job

I dont have time to even finish mine But I will include the top hatch

One question, since I've deleted the center speaker (no radio at all in the car) can the top portion (what S2000 folks here call the "secret compartment" ;^) be utilized as-is for additional storage?

Cheers,
Brian

you'll have to rework the hinge mechanism as that's the first thing to be chopped off!!! but i'm not sure how much space you'll actually have under there that'll be useable. HTH

Back