• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

custom built front sway bar from laivins racing

this may be of interest to those of you that autocross and/or track the NSX rather heavily:

one of the drawbacks of competing on the stock spring rates (i cannot change that in my competition class) while using HIGH GRIP hoosier A6 tires is that the car rolls a LOT! this is bad for multiple reasons... the car flops from side to side in transitions, there's a lot of diving/squatting under braking/acceleration, very delayed reactions and the car never really takes a set, and lifting the inside rear wheel under trail braking as the rear suspension runs out of droop. the cure/treatment for the problems is well-known; a big front sway bar.

i already had a bigger-than-stock front sway bar in the car; the 1" diameter hollow daliracing "track bar" with multiple bends (to clear the spare tire and battery tray). it has a bar rate in the 250-300 lbs/inch range. this was NOT sufficient for my needs as i have been lifting the inside rear tire under heavy trail braking and getting a LOT of inside rear wheel spin on corner exit (stock diff, cannot change it). the daliracing track bar was the largest "off the shelf" bar i could find for the NSX. dali does also list the trophy bar (500-650 lbs/inch), but it didn't seem to be in stock any more, and after waiting/searching for a couple of months, it was time to look for a custom solution.

enter andris laivins, of laivins race cars (http://www.laivins.com/). andris has built up one hell of a reputation as a perfectionist and a meticulous race engineer, fabricator, builder, and badass. he regularly travels with and supports the CJ Wilson race team in the efforts in the playboy MX5 cup and continental grand am series. we are lucky to have him in the austin area, and i decided to pay him a visit. i'll save you the gory details, but the end result is that andris built me a 1.25" diameter, .25" wall hollow nascar-style splined bar, with custom engineered sway bar arms to clear the rest of the suspension (with multiple mounting holes to fine tune the bar rate), and spherical mount endlinks. the end result is a bar with a range from 660-960 lbs/inch. not only that, the center section of the bar can be easily swapped out with readily available center sections of different diameters and wall thicknesses to give near endless possibilities for minimal additional cost (each center sections costs about $75).

i got my first taste of the bar at an autocross this past weekend, and it has transformed the car! i can now be much more aggressive without the car turning into a flopping super loose beast :)

full details and driving impressions here: http://nsxftw.blogspot.com

Attachments

• IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Interesting. The center section is just a straight bar? And that spline holds it in place?

Interesting. The center section is just a straight bar? And that spline holds it in place?

yup, just a straight tube with splines. that is plenty to hold it in place, and is how most race sway bars are built because of how easily they can be swapped out to adjust for different track conditions.

Does the spare fit?

Does the spare fit?

no. you cannot get a straight sway bar in there with the spare tire in. well, you could... but you would have the relocate the sway bar mounting point.

So the bar actually twists torsionally? wow that seems way stiff!:eek:

I do like the blade style end adjusters though.

So the bar actually twists torsionally? wow that seems way stiff!:eek:

I do like the blade style end adjusters though.

it is certainly VERY stiff, but it is necessary when using very high grip tires with the soft stock suspension... the high grip pushes the stock suspension beyond its capabilities.

Nice looking bar! And as mentioned, this is the style bars that most professional race teams use.

You going to be campaigning the setup this weekend in Lincoln?

Nice looking bar! And as mentioned, this is the style bars that most professional race teams use.

You going to be campaigning the setup this weekend in Lincoln?

yes i will. i had one event this past weekend to feel it out. it feels great transitionally, but pushes through sweepers. i suspect part of the push will be "cured" at lincoln simply by the surface being so much grippier. the rest, i'll just have to adapt my driving style.

yes i will. i had one event this past weekend to feel it out. it feels great transitionally, but pushes through sweepers. i suspect part of the push will be "cured" at lincoln simply by the surface being so much grippier. the rest, i'll just have to adapt my driving style.

Wow, with that kind of rate I would have thought it would understeer more than is gained in transititions. Glad to know it is working out well. We're looking forward to your continued quest to be successful autocrossing your NSX.

In general, doesn't a car go more toward understeer the higher the grip?

Great post. However, could you also share with us roughly what you paid to have this done and if they would be able to make additional setups for retail sale for us? What about a groupbuy for 5-10 of us maybe?

Wow, with that kind of rate I would have thought it would understeer more than is gained in transititions. Glad to know it is working out well. We're looking forward to your continued quest to be successful autocrossing your NSX.

In general, doesn't a car go more toward understeer the higher the grip?

it does understeer (A LOT) in sweepers right now... and i am trying to cure that by playing with the alignment and shock settings.

as for what happens when grip goes up... it is not easy to generalize, because it all depends on the suspension setup. the stock NSX is set up with stiffer springs in the back than in the front, so when you increase grip the front end is going to compress/collapse more, increasing the likelyhood of unloading the inside rear tire. on a car set up with stiffer front springs (or with a big front bar to increase front roll stiffness), the opposite may be true.

Great post. However, could you also share with us roughly what you paid to have this done and if they would be able to make additional setups for retail sale for us? What about a groupbuy for 5-10 of us maybe?

i will check with andris and see what he would charge for a group by. stand by...

Nice part, thanks for sharing...........and as always best of luck!

Brian

Back