• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GENUINE NSX-R Battery and Battery Case

Thought I would share this bit of info with you guys, as I would say most didn't know and the bits are easy accessible by you guys in the US!

Of course it might not suit everyone, but for the purists of the "R" model its a little bonus for what I think is cheap money.

So this is based on NA1 NSX-R, I'll tell you NA2 NSX-R setup after

New item for my car is the NSX-R battery, NSX-R battery covers and base, the top securing bar and the side stay bars etc.

P1020299.jpg

P1020300.jpg

P1020301.jpg

P1020303.jpg

To be honest, nothing overly special, battery is smaller and a bit lighter. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing unique about the battery at all and its shared with other Honda models and can also be purchased outside of Honda at most motor factors, but I purchased this direct from a dealer as it was cheaper and has the Honda logs.

The NSX-R battery box setup and top securing bar, believe it or not, is shared with a well know SPECIAL US model! Im sure most can guess what its is...........If not............Part numbers can be found here: http://www.oemacuraparts.com/find-parts/Acura/NSX/1999/2DR NSX (ALEX ZANARDI ED)/KA6MT/BATTERY

So there you have it, NSX-R parts for reasonable money and no need to order from Japan!

The NSX-R battery is part number: 31500-SR1-100M

For NA2 NSX-R setup, it just uses the plastic base as seen in my photos and parts diagram, the top securing bracket and the side bars for mounting the top bar.

Of course it might not suit everyone, but for the purists of the "R" model its a little bonus for what I think is cheap money.

Wouldn't an NSX "purist" scoff at the notion of outfitting their non-R vehicle with R spec bits and pieces?

The NSX-R is a half hearted attempt by the factory to produce a tuner/track car. I would bet that if they actually tried to sell them to anyone that wanted one, almost no one would buy one and there would be dozens of threads on Prime about how to go about saving yourself a ton of cash by simply taking choice aftermarket parts and doing it yourself.

The ONLY reason this car has a cult following is simply because it was dangled in front of everyone's nose but Honda said nope, we're only building a handful of them.

Those putrid Nissan Skylines from the '90s have a similar following. Seriously now, I don't care how much horsepower it has. It's uglier than a 300 pound hooker's ass. At least the NSX-R is beautiful. :)

Have you weighed the battery? =) The NSX-R battery should be 9.2 lbs.

Hi there,

Where did you get that info?

I've seen a few claim to have the battery but when I looked at the photos, it was NOT it. This battery was ordered at Honda Japan with the NSX-R part number,[which has superceeded a few times] Honda also confirmed the battery type as the 55B24L. I also spoke to our NSX master, who also confirmed the battery is not really anything special and that its shared with other models, plus you can buy similar from an auto parts store.

The battery does not weight 9.2lbs! Thats only around 4.1kg!

The battery actually weight 12.2kg

Last edited:
According to the NSX Prime Wiki, the stock NSX battery weighs 35 lbs (15.9 kg): http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Weight_Reduction. Do you know whether that’s correct?

If the NSX-R battery weighs 12.2 kg (26.9 lbs), that’s a weight savings of 3.7 kg compared to the standard NSX battery. That’s not much, but knowing there’s a genuine NSX Type-R battery in the front compartment has got to give you a warm feeling nonetheless. Thanks for posting the part numbers.

So that’s the battery used in both the NA1 and NA2 NSX Type-R’s?

According to the NSX Prime Wiki, the stock NSX battery weighs 35 lbs (15.9 kg): http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Weight_Reduction. Do you know whether that’s correct?

If the NSX-R battery weighs 12.2 kg (26.9 lbs), that’s a weight savings of 3.7 kg compared to the standard NSX battery. That’s not much, but knowing there’s a genuine NSX Type-R battery in the front compartment has got to give you a warm feeling nonetheless. Thanks for posting the part numbers.

So that’s the battery used in both the NA1 and NA2 NSX Type-R’s?

Hi,

Cant comment with regards to wiki as I dont know how or where they get the info.

All I can say is, I used the genuine NSX-R part number for the battery and ordered it from Honda, they in turn were able to confirm the part number and the new superceeded number, that I posted above. The battery arrived and it fits the NSX-R battery box PERFECT. The battery as I weighed it on my scales is 12.2kg.

Plus our NSX master here (KAZ) was also able to confirm the battery is nothing overly special, and its a 55B24L.

It's special in that it has proper mounts. But I know for a fact my OEM 2005 batty is lighter than what the wiki says. I will weigh it soon.

Wouldn't an NSX "purist" scoff at the notion of outfitting their non-R vehicle with R spec bits and pieces?

The NSX-R is a half hearted attempt by the factory to produce a tuner/track car. I would bet that if they actually tried to sell them to anyone that wanted one, almost no one would buy one and there would be dozens of threads on Prime about how to go about saving yourself a ton of cash by simply taking choice aftermarket parts and doing it yourself.

The ONLY reason this car has a cult following is simply because it was dangled in front of everyone's nose but Honda said nope, we're only building a handful of them.

Those putrid Nissan Skylines from the '90s have a similar following. Seriously now, I don't care how much horsepower it has. It's uglier than a 300 pound hooker's ass. At least the NSX-R is beautiful. :)

I rather like my NA2 R suspension, and i don't have the chance to screw up the settings like an aftermarket one. Plus its not hype the suspesion is much better than the usdm 91 suspension and has way less roll (10k/8K springs) and external rear resavoirs.

It's special in that it has proper mounts. But I know for a fact my OEM 2005 batty is lighter than what the wiki says. I will weigh it soon.

The battery itself doesnt have special mounts.

The mounts are also nothing special from what I can tell and fairly sure they are used on other Honda batteries.

I wouldn't think HUK would sell ANYTHING for a better price than anywhere.
Still looks the business.
Sudesh, were you able to make contact with Tim Poliniak per my p/m ?

Cheers
nigel

There is actually something unique about the battery tray: it is different than the standard one to fit the smaller battery.

One could probably just get away with drilling holes through the existing one for the hooks to latch into.

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/find-parts/Acura/NSX/1999/2DR NSX (ALEX ZANARDI ED)/KA6MT/FRONT FENDER

part #4. 60500-SL0-A10 PLATE ASSY., SST HOLD

Standard model same part http://www.oemacuraparts.com/find-parts/Acura/NSX/1999/2DR NSX/KA6MT/FRONT FENDER

It's different from a same year NSX: 60500-SL0-A02 PLATE ASSY., SST HOLD

I wonder just how different it is, as the case I bought comes with its own Tray, Honda changed to that style from around 1997 onwards so became standard on all models. But te Zanardi does have a different part number and is cheaper too!

Forgot to add, NA1 NSX-R still used the old style plate assembly NO3 as seen in the parts pic you posted.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think HUK would sell ANYTHING for a better price than anywhere.
Still looks the business.
Sudesh, were you able to make contact with Tim Poliniak per my p/m ?

Cheers
nigel

Hi Nigel,

Yes got your PM and info for Tim, thanks for that!

Your 'NSX-R' battery has 3 kg (6.6 lbs) more weight as the JDM Original, think you doesnt have the correct part number.

The NSX OEM (standard) battery is 16,9 kg

yours has 12.2 kg

The one I have installed at the Procar NSX has 9.2 kg.

IMO thats a big difference :smile:

I can't verify this or anything but it has been my understanding that the Zanardi battery is identical to the battery used in the ITR. I recall seeing a thread on some ITR forums that the battery has been discontinued.

I can't verify this or anything but it has been my understanding that the Zanardi battery is identical to the battery used in the ITR. I recall seeing a thread on some ITR forums that the battery has been discontinued.
The ITR battery has 14 kg. (12V/45AH)

In Japan, the NSX-R battery is still available, I have 2 units in stock all the time.

Because I known the part number, I can say that the part number, which is listed here, is not the right one.

But who cares :smile:

The ITR battery has 14 kg. (12V/45AH)

In Japan, the NSX-R battery is still available, I have 2 units in stock all the time.

Because I known the part number, I can say that the part number, which is listed here, is not the right one.

But who cares :smile:

The part number I received was from Honda themselves and the battery has ben correctly identified! The original Part number has been superceeded as I mentioned and the battery I received is a perfect fit for the OEM box.

The part numbers also listed for the battery state it to be a 55B24l

31500-SL0-N12 55B24l
31500-S12-505 55B24l

The battery in your photos is different, it's 38B19L

well, we can discuss about that.
There are different part numbers for NSX-R batteries available, yours doesnt match any of the numbers, which I got from Honda R&D.

Here is a picture from the 1th JDM NSX-R in Europe from year 2003, it has the JDM R battery installed too.

If you take a look at one of my previous picture, you can see its the same
battery type.

Back