• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GENUINE NSX-R Battery and Battery Case

well, we can discuss about that.
There are different part numbers for NSX-R batteries available, yours doesnt match any of the numbers, which I got from Honda R&D.

Here is a picture from the 1th JDM NSX-R in Europe from year 2003, it has the JDM R battery installed too.

If you take a look at one of my previous picture, you can see its the same
battery type.

It's very possible then that there were different batteries used and part numbers for th year of car.

As my car is based on NA1 I choose the numbers based on that, the last numbers I posted are from the last year of NSX-R produced.

I think 02 03 NSX used the S6M J03 and 505 part number, which would indicate a different battery again! Possibly yours? 38B19L

I wonder just how different it is, as the case I bought comes with its own Tray, Honda changed to that style from around 1997 onwards so became standard on all models. But te Zanardi does have a different part number and is cheaper too!

Forgot to add, NA1 NSX-R still used the old style plate assembly NO3 as seen in the parts pic you posted.

The battery tray is just different enough: the Zanardi is designed to hold the smaller Zanardi/Integra/Civic battery, the standard one, well, is designed to hold the larger standard battery.

The first generation NSX-Rs probably used the older ladder style battery tray, but I have yet to be able to find one to order.

If you look at the difference in designs, it seems like the older battery tray seems to also function as a chassis brace? The older ladder style bridges the front cross beam, what the steering rack is bolted to, to the floor.

If you have an earlier NSX with the ladder style tray, Pre '97 I believe, and you are switching to the Zanardi battery tray: you will also need another part:

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/find-p...ANARDI ED)/KA6MT/OUTER PANEL - REAR FENDER (1)

Number 50 in the drawing: 60535-SL0-000 PLATE, SETTING

The battery tray is just different enough: the Zanardi is designed to hold the smaller Zanardi/Integra/Civic battery, the standard one, well, is designed to hold the larger standard battery.

The first generation NSX-Rs probably used the older ladder style battery tray, but I have yet to be able to find one to order.

If you look at the difference in designs, it seems like the older battery tray seems to also function as a chassis brace? The older ladder style bridges the front cross beam, what the steering rack is bolted to, to the floor.

If you have an earlier NSX with the ladder style tray, Pre '97 I believe, and you are switching to the Zanardi battery tray: you will also need another part:

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/find-p...ANARDI ED)/KA6MT/OUTER PANEL - REAR FENDER (1)

Number 50 in the drawing: 60535-SL0-000 PLATE, SETTING

I'm not changing the plate setting as the NA1 NSX-R still ses the same setup as mine. Amazing to see all these little changes for certain models.

Are you sure it's the battery tray is the same part number?

The photo posted by Procar Specials looks like a 1st generation NSX-R and the battery tray is definitely different than a pre 97 US one, at least.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=87599&d=1339090329

Hi,

I wasn't going by the photo, I was going by the JDM parts system which lists the same part number for the plate assembly on NA1 NSX-R and my own car, plus shows the old style plate.

I think I've also worked out the battery types, and it would seem the NSX-R used 2 types of battery; however one type of battery [YUSA 38B19L] was only used on a specific year/chassis of facelift NSX-R. So just trying to narrow down the findings. But again, the YUSA battery is nothing special, it's quite cheap and would seem to shared with other Honda models.

Ok little update on the NSX-R battery.

There were in fact 2 types of battery used in the NSX-R! But from my research, it was only on the facelift model.

Pre-Facelift NSX-R used the battery I posted earlier, type 55B24L; however the facelift NSX-R used either 55B24L or the smaller type 38B19L as seen above.

It would seem that only facelift NSX-R models that had no AC, no airbags, navigation etc, used the smaller battery!

The smaller battery weighs 9.4kg on my scales, and it is either Yuasa or FB as seen in my photos, exact same battery and comes fom Honda, again this battery is nothing special and its shared with other honda models, [at least in the country it is] it can be purchased from your dealer and not that expensive either, again this applies to UK.

Last edited:
P1020452.jpg

P1020454.jpg

P1020455.jpg

P1020457.jpg

Last edited:
Let's loop back around and consolidate all this info.

My NSX is a 1996 USDM NA1, manual transmission.

I would like to install the NA1-R battery, size code 55B24L.

In addition to the battery, I need the following USDM Zanardi OEM parts:

60535-SL0-000

Which others? anyone got a complete list?

Back