• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brakes, please help explain Caliper sizes

I'm looking at the Brakes.

First off why are NA2 rotors like 3 times the price of NA1?

My brakes are NA1, i'm looking at fitting bigger rotors.

So my question is..

If NA1 rotors are 28mm wide and if NA2 rotors are 25mm wide are NA1 and NA2 calipers different width to fit the different width rotors?

Could i run a 25mm wide rotor on my NA1 calipers assuming i moved the caliper out to allocate the bigger rotor? Or would there be too much space?

Can someone actually confirm the dimensions of both NA1 and NA2 rotors as it's a little confusing. Different info all over the place.

Are all Honda Rotors the same fitment? 5x114 and the hole in the middle the same size?

What i am thinking is a DC5 DBA 2-Piece Gold series rotor. Which is 25mm x 300mm. Little shy of a NA2 rotor but bigger than my NA1 but a 2 Piece rotor which is heat treated and better technology.

Have you looked in the NSX Wiki yet? You can find it off the red action bar at the top of most pages. I looked in Modifying Your NSX under Suspension-Brakes and found the following Wiki page: http://nsxprime.com/wiki/Brakes
It's one of the older pages that was migrated over from the FAQ but it might have some information to help you. Be aware that some kits may no longer be marketed or available.

There is no such thing as "NA2 rotors" or "NA1 brakes". NA1 and NA2 are engine codes, and they do not always correspond with brake setups.

The NSX came with two brake setups. The '91-96 model years have one setup. (All of those cars have the NA1 engine.) The '97-05 model years have another setup. (Some of those cars have the NA2 engine; those years also have automatics with the NA1 engine but the later brake setup.)

Also, the rotor thickness is exactly the same for both setups (28 mm front, 21 mm rear). The differences between the two setups is in the diameter of the pistons, not the rotor thickness.

Are all Honda Rotors the same fitment? 5x114 and the hole in the middle the same size?
No, they are not. For example, NSX rotors will not fit on my 5x114.3 Integra Type R, and vice versa.

I would absolutely NOT recommend using a 25 mm thick Integra/RSX rotor on an NSX, as you are considering.

Also, the rotor thickness is exactly the same for both setups (28 mm front, 21 mm rear). The differences between the two setups is in the diameter of the pistons, not the rotor thickness.

The NSX Wiki states otherwise.

Front on both is 28mm.
Rear on the 1991-1996 is 21mm and the 1997-2003 have a 23mm thickness.

Front on both is 28mm.

Correct.
Also the brake bais is further adjusted trough the different piston sizing in the calipers.

Also i wouldn't put a 25mm rotor on a NSX OEM is 28mm and i'd stick to that. if you are really producing a lot of bake heat, (serious racing) you could go to 32mm.

Last edited:
I think OP is trying to save money by going with a rotor that is the same size, slightly thinner, but significantly cheaper than the 97+ rotors. Here's some specs that I've found..

How about some 00 RL front rotors and s2k for the rears (all $53 each). Size, thickness, bolt pattern, hub sizes all match, but not sure how the height of the rotors come into play. Any brake experts?

S2000 Spec's
Caliper
Piston Size: 2.0"
Weight: Approx. 9.5lbs (Loaded)
Rotor
Diameter: 11.8"
Width: 24mm
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3
Hub Size: 70.3mm
Height: 39.6mm
Weight:

06 RSX Type-S Spec's
Rotor
Width: 25mm
Hub Size: 64.2mm
Height:46.99mm(47mm)
Weight:

91 NSX Spec's
Caliper
Piston(s) Size: 34mm and 36mm (I believe this is correct.)
Weight: Approx. 12lbs Unloaded (Caliper + T28 Bracket, Info from Televator)
Rotor
Diameter:11.1" inch
Width: 28mm
Hub Size: 70mm
Height: 35.9mm
Weight:

98 NSX Spec's
Caliper
Piston(s) Size: 34mm and 36mm (I believe this is correct.)
Weight: Approx. 12lbs Unloaded (Caliper + T28 Bracket, Info from Televator)
Rotor
Diameter:11.7" inch
Hub Size: 70mm
Height: 36mm
Weight:

94-95 4DR Legend GS Spec's
Caliper
Piston(s) Size: 36mm and 38mm (I believe this is correct.)
Weight:
Rotor
Diameter: 11.1"
Hub Size: 70.2mm
Height: 47mm
Weight:

4thGen Prelude S & Si Model Spec's
Caliper
Piston(s) Size:
Weight:
Rotor
Diameter: 10.2"
Width: 23mm
Bolt Pattern: 4x114.3
Hub Size: 64.3mm
Height: 47.2mm
Weight:

4thGen Prelude VTEC Model Spec's
Caliper
Piston(s) Size:
Weight:
Rotor
Bolt Pattern: 4x114.3
Hub Size: 64.3mm
Weight:

5thGen Prelude Spec's
Caliper
Piston(s) Size:
Weight:
Rotor
Weight:

'99 - '00 Acura RL Spec's
Rotor
Hub Size: 70.3mm
Height: 47.2mm
Weight:

06' Acura 3.5RL Spec's
Brembo Style 4pot Calipers
Rotor
Diameter: 12.6"
Height: 50mm
Weight:

08' Acura TL TYPE-S MT Spec's (AT specs are different)
Brembo Style 4pot Calipers
Rotor
Diameter: 12.2"
Width: 25mm
Hub Size: 64.2mm
Height: 45mm
Weight:

Front on both is 28mm.
My bad. :redface:

Still, the OP is clearly talking about front rotors, which are the same thickness on the '91-96 as the '97-05. I would NOT recommend using thinner rotors than stock, no matter what the reason. If you want less expensive rotors, you can find some that are made for the NSX with the stock thickness; Tire Rack has aftermarket front rotors for the NSX for as little as $51 each.

Last edited:
What i am thinking is a DC5 DBA 2-Piece Gold series rotor. Which is 25mm x 300mm. Little shy of a NA2 rotor but bigger than my NA1 but a 2 Piece rotor which is heat treated and better technology.

Negative.

These or these are what you want. If you feel the need to have a 2 piece rotor and want to shell out the big bucks, then go for these.

Thanks for all the feedback.

A little more info...

Basically i want to go to a 2 piece rotor to save weight. as they say loosing weight on the hubs is the best place to loose weight.

I could go for a StopTech complete kit, save weight etc but the whole reason of this is to Run some Spoon calipers but i wanted to take it a step further to run the Spoon calipers on a bigger disk than the 91-96 rotors and a 2 piece design.

Racing Brake offer a 2 piece solution for the Nsx however i have no idea what they are like.

I will try contacting KSport and D2 to see what size their Nsx rotors are and see if i can buy just the rotors without the calipers.

It's a shame as Project Mu do a 2 piece rotor for the 91-96 but i wanted to step up the size to around 97 onwards.

I have checked DBA website and they offer nothing for the legend or RL in terms of 2 piece just their street series rotors. The reason i got confused is that on the DBA site the 97 onwards rotors are listed as 23mm on the fronts. Anyone ordering DBA need to be aware of this and make sure it's only a typo on their site.

What is interesting is what A.S. Motorsport said about a 32mm Disk. Can you go up in size in a caliper? how much can you go before it gets too big to fit?

Let me one thing clear there is NO Honda that will discs interchange with a NSX,
NSX has a unique rotor and wheel offset only car that comes remotely close would be a S2000 which is of by quite a way.

32mm disc is a option, i don't see it necessary unless your running a high brake load race track or running over 400 HP.

a 32mm disc would require ether 4 piston or Corvette C5/C6 twin piston calipers.
And off course a rotor hat to match and a custom cnc'd bracket

Be careful in what the aftermarkt MFG's say on NSX disc sizes as i have seen many errors in there documentation.

Last edited:
First off why are NA2 rotors like 3 times the price of NA1?
They aren't. The '91-96 front rotors (P/N 45251-SL0-030) are the exact same price as the '97-05 front rotors (P/N 45251-SL0-J00). Both list for $188.58 and you can get the same discount on both.

Basically i want to go to a 2 piece rotor to save weight. as they say loosing weight on the hubs is the best place to loose weight.
That's just plain ridiculous. If you want to lose weight, there are lots of other places where you can do it without spending a fortune for a few pounds of weight loss.

The ONLY reason to go to a two-piece rotor is if you're tracking your car and you're constantly cracking your rotors (and even then, the likely cause is your driving style). If this isn't happening, there's absolutely no reason to change to two-piece rotors.

Are you experiencing a problem with your brakes that makes you think you need to change your setup? If so, please describe that problem. Otherwise, just leave them alone.

well save your old rotors and calipers cuz people are always returning to stock. for some reason.

OEM all the way

I have been in contact with KSport.

I have the sizes for their rotors they sell with their kits.

These are 2 piece rotors.

304mm is a 28mm width, exact same as OEM ;)
286mm is 26mm width, 2mm smaller than oem or 3mm wider than the factory 97+ rears.

Remember KSport offer a Nsx application so surely these may be a viable option? just the rotors and bells. even on a factory caliper! maybe?

Back