• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

99 MCB "Reimagined"

Hi guys,

I got my NA2 in MCB delivered yesterday. One of the two colors (GPW was the other) I was looking for.

This is my third time around owning an NSX. The first being a 1996 and the second being a low mileage SOS SC 05, both being Berlina Black. I sold the 96 to buy the 05, and the 05 for a 993. Some of you guys here told me that I'll "be back", and you weren't wrong. Every since selling my 05, I found myself searching for another NA2, even though I was in love with my aircooled Porsche. Owning the 993 made me appreciate everything about the NSX even more. They are definitely special in their own ways and I feel blessed to own both.

I've always wanted to document my project and keep a record of how my car evolves over the years. I'm envious of some the builds on here and don't want to replicate what you guys have already done too much but it's hard not too. If you guys are familiar with Singer Porsches, they are the pinnacle of restomoding aircooled Porsches - their motto is "Everything Matters". I want to bring some of that to my NSX (budget allowing), with NSX-R, Type S, and rare JDM parts. I'll try to stay OEM as much as possible. Being that my 993's ethos is being an "Aircooled GT3" - then I guess my NSX's ethos is a "Type S Zero+"

Here is what I have instore for this thing:

Stage 1: Refresh
Full paint correction (possible PPF - if paint acceptable, otherwise full respray)
Frunk and engine bay cleaning
Underbody cleaning (possible dry ice blasting)
Replace all plastic and rubber trim as needed
Replace all lights - front headlights, signals, markers, JDM or 02 taillights
Interior detailing - replace all damaged trim
Remove EuroBoutique Carbon console and door trims - back to OEM
Replace aftermarket filter with OEM Box
All fluid replaced
New OEM radiator
TB/WP service with Shad

Stage 2: Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
02 Wheels or Type S wheels
ADVAN tires or BS Potenzas
2000+ ABS System
GiroDisc rotors or NA2R rotors
Rebuild Calipers
NA2R brake pads or Endless SS pads
SS Brake lines
NA2R Sway bars & bushings
NSX-R chassis braces
NSX-R suspension

Stage 3: Mods
Fujitsubo Ti Exhaust or ARC Ti (if I can find one, both my previous NSXs had it, NA1 and NA2 versions)
NA2R engine dress up
Maintanence lid
Recaro ABE Classic seats - I have them in my 993 in pepita already, so maybe go all leather or Type S inspired black Alcantara
Type S steering wheel with Momo hub
NSX-R yellow needle gauges
Radio delete
Alcantara headliner, pillars, and door cards to match seats

Sorry if this seems long, but I've had a long time to plan all this out. Just had to find the right car - which I now have :)

It's going to take time to source all these parts, any help and advice along the way is much appreciated.

IG: kevie_p (pics of my 993 here)

Journey begins.....

1999_acura_nsx-t_img_3276-40629.jpeg
1999_acura_nsx-t_img_3281-40744.jpeg
1999_acura_nsx-t_img_3277-40885.jpeg

1999_acura_nsx-t_img_3385-40798.jpeg
1999_acura_nsx-t_img_3359-40853.jpeg

I appreciate a good car list. The main question is if you've moved to spreadsheets that also calculate cost and keep track of maintenance. :LOL:

I'm curious about aspects of the 993 that made you want to get another NSX back in your stable.

@kevie_p welcome to Prime! I for one LOVE a nice long list like you have and I think it's a very good project concept. I can tell you've spent some time on Prime, since many of your selected components are for people who "get it." Most people just start modding and end up with kind of a mess of a car at the end. I think it's always better to decide what you want at the beginning and work towards it step by step. You plan looks that way to me. I especially like the S-Zero concept. :)

The main difference between the S and S-Zero consists of three things: radical weight reduction, the NSX-R suspension and the twin-disc clutch. If you're really aiming for S-Zero, that means the audio system has got to go- seeing the stereo delete plate is an instant, iconic S-Zero thing and a conversation starter. It's like you know the car means business. ;)

20230115_154205.jpg

As I've gotten older, I'm not as much a fan of putting 02+ cosmetic bits on a pop-up car unless it's a full conversion. You could aim for a 02+ Type-S and then it would make sense, though. But that means a lot of conversion stuff like the bumpers and headlights, etc. And then paint... It all adds up lol. I would go for the JDM tails (The S-specific ones with the titanium H) and the blue JDM "H" badge. They were made for the MCB and will look sharp. I get lots of thumbs up for those features on my car.

If Shad is doing the TB/WP, make sure he does the complete refresh of all the rubber bits, LMAs, pulley, etc. I'd also have your injectors cleaned at RC while he's got the engine open. Same idea for your gauge cluster, CCU, headlight control unit, main relay, etc.

You have the most beautiful color for the NSX and I'm super excited to see where this goes!

Love the color, you don't see MCB often at all.

Start ordering parts now. NSX basic maintenance parts are still easy to get, but the more "refresh" oriented parts are rapidly going the way of the dodo or on very long backorder. Also be sure to do the coolant hoses if they haven't been done already.

NSX 2000+ ABS modulators are gone for good unless you can find one 2nd hand or NOS at an Acura dealer so you might be stuck with the S2K modulator. Some of the rubber trim pieces and door sashes are also permanently gone. The NSX-R chassis braces are getting hard to get too.

I appreciate a good car list. The main question is if you've moved to spreadsheets that also calculate cost and keep track of maintenance. :LOL:

I'm curious about aspects of the 993 that made you want to get another NSX back in your stable.

Oh yes, I have spreadsheets. With links to all the parts I'm sourcing and pricing comparisons too. It's a bit much and my wife thinks I'm crazy. LOL

The 993 makes glorious sounds when you drive it, the sound of the door closing, and the driving characteristics of a RR makes it fun. I came to quickly realize that comparing the two - the NSX is a samurai sword - very precise, shifter is second to none in my opinion, sits low but still very comfortable to drive. The Porsche in stock form is good but definitely softer - I had to spend a lot of money to get the shifter to feel closer to the NSX's. I think the mods I've done to the 993 make is more raw, a bit like a "RSR" or NSX-R version for NSXs.

Another thing with Porsche modding is it makes everything for the NSX seem like a bargain. My 3.8 engine build is costing me $30k! The short shifter kit with rods cost $1200 in parts alone. I got quoted around $5k for TB/WP and engine refresh service with Shad, so I'm happy to pay that for top notch mechanic to work on my car.

@kevie_p welcome to Prime! I for one LOVE a nice long list like you have and I think it's a very good project concept. I can tell you've spent some time on Prime, since many of your selected components are for people who "get it." Most people just start modding and end up with kind of a mess of a car at the end. I think it's always better to decide what you want at the beginning and work towards it step by step. You plan looks that way to me. I especially like the S-Zero concept. :)

The main difference between the S and S-Zero consists of three things: radical weight reduction, the NSX-R suspension and the twin-disc clutch. If you're really aiming for S-Zero, that means the audio system has got to go- seeing the stereo delete plate is an instant, iconic S-Zero thing and a conversation starter. It's like you know the car means business. ;)

View attachment 183824

As I've gotten older, I'm not as much a fan of putting 02+ cosmetic bits on a pop-up car unless it's a full conversion. You could aim for a 02+ Type-S and then it would make sense, though. But that means a lot of conversion stuff like the bumpers and headlights, etc. And then paint... It all adds up lol. I would go for the JDM tails (The S-specific ones with the titanium H) and the blue JDM "H" badge. They were made for the MCB and will look sharp. I get lots of thumbs up for those features on my car.

If Shad is doing the TB/WP, make sure he does the complete refresh of all the rubber bits, LMAs, pulley, etc. I'd also have your injectors cleaned at RC while he's got the engine open. Same idea for your gauge cluster, CCU, headlight control unit, main relay, etc.

You have the most beautiful color for the NSX and I'm super excited to see where this goes!

Love your build Honcho, I've been going back and reading your build thread.

Yes, I agree with you. I don't think I'll do the 02 conversion on this car, maybe I'll use some of the 02R suspension parts and keep the body lines true to Type S Zero. The goal is about 2800lbs, radio delete is a must. It's like you said, as I get older, I look at these cars at a work of art and a piece of automotive history so I'll do my best to stay true to OEM.

Another thing with Porsche modding is it makes everything for the NSX seem like a bargain. My 3.8 engine build is costing me $30k! The short shifter kit with rods cost $1200 in parts alone. I got quoted around $5k for TB/WP and engine refresh service with Shad, so I'm happy to pay that for top notch mechanic to work on my car.

It's not as cheap as you might think, especially once you start getting into stroker and sleeved turbo builds. My factory stroke 3.2L NSX motor build is over $30k for parts and machining alone, and thats DIYing everything I possibly can.

First wash. The paint has patina and I'm hoping a good 2 stage polish will take out 70% of this. Looking to get some touch up paint to cover up some of the really noticeable rock chips.

I'm headed to see Shad tomorrow for his initial assessment. He quoted me about $5500 to replace TB/WP and an engine refresh. Not sure what that all entails. Will find out and report back.

I also found some OEM Type S wheels on eBay for about $5000 used, I've contacted the sellers to see what shipping would be. Also found, what I think is a pretty good deal, on NA2R Championship White wheels for about $7500 brand new from Japan. Waiting on shipping cost on those as well.

I like the look of the Type S wheels but 17/17 has a nice balance to it, these wheels are about the same weight too.

376248822_10160873426388416_7407641438263019753_n.jpg
378124898_10160873426318416_83461627699365077_n.jpg

FYI you can get the S wheels in 17/17 from @MITA Motorsports. I'd reach out to Marc. He can do them in both original Type-S colors (Washi Gray and BMW Silver). I prefer the 16/17, but I'm a purist. ;)

Be careful with online Type S or R wheels....there are standard Enkei and BBS wheels that look like them just not oem...don't pay oem price for regular style.

Got the car to Shad's place and got a quick tour of his shop. It's been awhile since I was there. Lot's NA1, NC1, S2KCR, and also got lucky and caught my first glimpse of a real NA1R. The car was purchased recently and only had 10k km on it or so, so it was in pristine condition!!!

Took some photos to reference some of the differences from my car. For the owner's privacy, I won't post the pics of the car.

It was so cool to see a MCB and a CW NA1R next to each other!!!

Anyways here are the things we are replacing:

Timing belt
Water pump
Adjust valves
Valve cover seals
Cam seals
VTEC seals
Oil sending unit seals
Alternator belt
AC belt
Intake manifold clean out and check butterfly screws
Oil pan gasket
Clutch master and slave replace - bleed and flush
Bleed and flush braking system and ABS system
Fuel filter
Thermostat
Coolant tank
Oil change

IMG_1865 (1).jpg

Tell him Hello from Pa!

How time flies...

Got all the parts ordered from Amayama, there were a few parts on back order but I finally got shipping confirmation.
Hoping to get them in a week so I can schedule the work with Shad before the holidays come.

The paint was pretty rough in my eyes so I had it detailed professionally and ceramic coated. Never had a car coated before but for an extra $400, it was worth it. I did a quick maintenance wash and the hydrophobic characteristics of the paint is much improved. I was able to just use my airtool to blow off the excess water and barely had to wipe down the car.
71617989089__F62F0B13-252A-4CFF-B337-80B34D6D8F80.jpgIMG_1824.jpgIMG_7590.jpgIMG_7594.jpgIMG_7597.jpgIMG_7690.jpgIMG_7691.jpgIMG_7737.jpgIMG_2232.jpg

While washing the car, I pressure washed the engine bay and the underbody as best as I could. The car was from AZ so there was a lot of dirt and sand in the crevices. Found sand and debris in the trunk and interior. Pulled the seats and console out along with the stereo and speakers. I gave everything a good cleaning, especially the carpets - used some resolve and oxy clean and worked pretty well.

IMG_2207.jpgIMG_2209.jpgIMG_2216.jpgIMG_2140.jpgIMG_2214.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2216.jpg
    IMG_2216.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2219.jpg
    IMG_2219.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2161.jpg
    IMG_2161.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 71617989089__F62F0B13-252A-4CFF-B337-80B34D6D8F80.jpg
    71617989089__F62F0B13-252A-4CFF-B337-80B34D6D8F80.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Also deleted the CD changer

IMG_2165.jpgIMG_2173.jpgIMG_2175.jpg

Order new OEM filter cover and filter.
IMG_2221.jpgIMG_2222.jpgIMG_2229.jpg

I think everything turned out pretty good. Found myself a set of clean OEM 95 wheels, so gonna pick those up for now until I can order my Type S wheels from Japan. Matching the wheels up with Potenza RE-71RS from Tire Rack and some black OEM lug nuts.
IMG_2231.jpgIMG_2230.jpgIMG_2219.jpg

I've been good at sticking to my "Refresh" plans first. Once I get the work done at Shad's, I think I got most of my items on my Stage 1 list. There is just so many little plastic bits I want to replace so that's probably going to be an ongoing thing as I come across them.

Can't wait to move on to Stage 2: Wheels/Suspension

Weight reduction items removed so far:
Spare Tire/bracket -32
Engine Cover -25?
Radio -5
Speakers/sub -10
CD Changer -5
Wipers -3

Attachments

• IMG_2174.jpg
    IMG_2174.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Just got the car back from Shad, he does awesome work, such a cool guy. Us NorCal guys are lucky to have him so close.

I ended up having him go thru the entire engine bay and servicing everything he could.
He even changed out my AC control unit and blower motor.

Also snuck in changing out my intake manifold cover to an NSXR red cover. Waiting on the plastic cover to arrive from Japan. Got a the coolant tank cover as well since I won't be running the targe cover.

I was also lucky enough to get one of the last of the last NEW ABS pump to fix my ABS system. Shad had found one he had ordered for another customer a while back that he forgot about. Ended up finding it and replacing mine. I have a 2000+ unit on order from the UK but I didn't want to wait since the car was already there. I'll just keep the it as back up when it arrives.

1700181517609.png
1700181540095.png
IMG_2423.jpg

The drive home was bliss... the engine sounded so smooth, revved up nicely and didn't have the belt winding noise like when I first got it. Transmission shifted like it was new, Honda does make one of the best shifters in the business. I think I address all the maintenance items. Let me know if I missed anything else?

On to Stage 2 then!!!

So that didn't take long... with all the Zanardi/Type S wheels on BAT lately, it only made me want them even more. Just could justify paying the $8-9k price tag. My friend in Japan was able to source me a set of BBS/Type S wheels that were on a demo car, barely used. It had the original finishing on it and looked great, no curb rash or scratches.

I negotiated a price and was able to purchase them. Shipping from Japan wasn't too bad so considering they are crossing the Pacific Ocean to CA.

I also purchase new OEM black lug nuts and am currently searching for tires. Potenza RE-71RS is probably what I'll end with.

What size should I go with? OEM spec 215/45 and 245/40? or up size 225/45 and 255/40?

Also going to get the BBS caps redone with "H"onda logo - or maybe get a set of Washi Grey Honda caps and modify them. Not sure yet.

BBS Type S wheels.jpg
rear wheel up close.jpg
wheel upclose.jpg
wheel4.jpg

That's what makes me chuckle a little at the price of the oem Zanardi wheels....BBS baby..

Back