• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS Rack

I had a problem with my EPS rack where the steering had about 10-20-degrees of play before it turned the wheels. I took it to the local Honda NSX dealer - John Blair Honda who provided me with a quote of $12,850 + fitting!!!

While I never would have considered agreeing to pay this, the hit and miss of trying to find a second hand RHD EPS rack on a Japanese website in good condition, especially as I don't speak the language, was not something that appealed to me at all.

After doing a number of searches on Prime I found a bloke in America "d1 guy" who from all reports did a fantastic job reconditioning these units. Obviously there was a considerable expense and risk for me to send the rack to America in the "hope" that he could fix it.

Nonetheless, I took the plunge in desperation, albeit with a fair amount of confidence based exclusively on all of the other overwhelmingly positive comments I had read about his talents. The steering rack is now back in the car and as good as new, in fact some might say better than new!!!

Matt (d1 guy) was sensational to deal with and in regular communication throughout the entire process, even helping me arrange cheap prices for shipping back to Australia. If anybody has a problem with their EPS rack, I can echo all the other comments you will read on Prime and very, very highly recommend Matt's work.

All the best,

David

I had a problem with my EPS rack where the steering had about 10-20-degrees of play before it turned the wheels. I took it to the local Honda NSX dealer - John Blair Honda who provided me with a quote of $12,850 + fitting!!!

While I never would have considered agreeing to pay this, the hit and miss of trying to find a second hand RHD EPS rack on a Japanese website in good condition, especially as I don't speak the language, was not something that appealed to me at all.

After doing a number of searches on Prime I found a bloke in America "d1 guy" who from all reports did a fantastic job reconditioning these units. Obviously there was a considerable expense and risk for me to send the rack to America in the "hope" that he could fix it.

Nonetheless, I took the plunge in desperation, albeit with a fair amount of confidence based exclusively on all of the other overwhelmingly positive comments I had read about his talents. The steering rack is now back in the car and as good as new, in fact some might say better than new!!!

Matt (d1 guy) was sensational to deal with and in regular communication throughout the entire process, even helping me arrange cheap prices for shipping back to Australia. If anybody has a problem with their EPS rack, I can echo all the other comments you will read on Prime and very, very highly recommend Matt's work.

All the best,

David

Great to heat the black beauty is back together and it all worked out.

I'm so envious of what the guys at the states have available to them over there...in terms of direct help...

Last edited:
Wow David! Thanks so much for the kind words. It was an absolute pleasure doing business with you. Although you had about $650 in shipping costs combined, it was certainly better than buying it from Honda :) we currently have 100% success on all EPS racks so far. I'm looking forward to making lots more happy.

I promise to do my best to take care of each of my clients on an individual personal basis. I'm happy to help abroad. Nsxprime has the best community of any forum on the net. Everyone is so classy.

Thanks again David. If every "bloke" were like you, the world would be a better place!

Last edited:
Wow David! Thanks so much for the kind words. It was an absolute pleasure doing business with you. Although you had about $650 in shipping costs combined, it was certainly better than buying it from Honda :) we currently have 100% success on all EPS racks so far. I'm looking forward to making lots more happy.

I promise to do my best to take care of each of my clients on an individual personal basis. I'm happy to help abroad. Nsxprime has the best community of any forum on the net. Everyone is so classy.

Thanks again David. If every "bloke" were like you, the world would be a better place!

Great stuff , I may have some jobs for you d1 guy

That would be phenomenal. It would be about $1650 for the job with shipping included. I charge $1,000 for the service and would love to accomedate you. It roughly takes me a week or two once the eps rack arrives. Thanks again.

I can supply New Powersteering Racks for less that half that Price if New is preferred.

That would be phenomenal. It would be about $1650 for the job with shipping included. I charge $1,000 for the service and would love to accomedate you. It roughly takes me a week or two once the eps rack arrives. Thanks again.

I,m curious , I measured the resistance of a good motor and its around 82 OHM's

My friend in Malaysia measured his and its open circuit, can that be repaired ?

his faullt code is 22 , tried a good working amp and eps unit

Hi Michael,

Yes, the black beauty is back on the road.

Like you, I think it would be great to live in the States, exclusively as an NSX enthusiast - I love Australia!!! However, when you look at how much you can buy a late model vehicle coupled with the available mods, it would be a pretty exciting prospect.

G'day Ricky,

I can highly recommend Matt's service from both the communication and quality of workmanship perspective. Even at a bit less than half the John Blair price, sending the rack to America it is still a much cheaper option than buying a new one.

As I see it, if your rack is shot, the worst thing that could happen would be that you lose the cost of the freight to America. Although I would suspect this is unlikely, as Matt pointed out, they have a 100-percent strike rate.

The above being said, had I known about the availability of the new ones before reading all of the positive reviews about Matt (d1 guy), I might have given it careful consideration. I'm not quite sure why John Blair Honda were quoting so much, it makes you wonder!!!

All the best,

David

yes, you can get a new one for about 5k over here. List price is about 7k over here. Then again, the only things that I dont supply new is the housing, the steering shaft, the commutator, and the torque sensor. Those parts usually dont go bad.

In regards to a torque sensor issue as mentioned above, and code 22......Its a tough journey to completely repair. I had the code 22 on my car and successfully rebuilt it with the help of my business partner and friend. He helps me with all the rebuilds and is brilliant. The torque sensor is a nightmare to repair, but it can be done. Most of the time, I charge an hourly rate to work on the torque sensor and I have to have the car here :(

In regards to a torque sensor issue as mentioned above, and code 22......Its a tough journey to completely repair. I had the code 22 on my car and successfully rebuilt it with the help of my business partner and friend. He helps me with all the rebuilds and is brilliant. The torque sensor is a nightmare to repair, but it can be done. Most of the time, I charge an hourly rate to work on the torque sensor and I have to have the car here :(

I don't think its a torque sensor issue (i've had a crack at repairing those to) just gotta get though the goo .

Its the rack motor that seems open circuit. Torque sensor codes are 11,12,13 I think .

Do your self the favor Mate. Send it to Matt. It will be brand new and you won't have to worry about it again. He is magical.

I don't think its a torque sensor issue (i've had a crack at repairing those to) just gotta get though the goo .

Its the rack motor that seems open circuit. Torque sensor codes are 11,12,13 I think .

It could really only be the brushes and the commutator then. Yes the goo is crazy terrible :) I don't know if I would be of much help without having the car here. If its the brushes or commutator I think I could fix it but no way to test it without your car.

Do your self the favor Mate. Send it to Matt. It will be brand new and you won't have to worry about it again. He is magical.

Thanks JC. You're awesome! I appreciate it.

Buddy, I guess it might be the brushes get stuck by grease. I dismantled all except the armature, from D1_Guy's pictures I saw 3 holes and now it was covered by something from inside, that might be the bolts under it. I would do that tomorrow, too tired today.
Anyway, all the grease aroud the gear were dry-out, it's a good time to clean it all.

Buddy, I guess it might be the brushes get stuck by grease. I dismantled all except the armature, from D1_Guy's pictures I saw 3 holes and now it was covered by something from inside, that might be the bolts under it. I would do that tomorrow, too tired today.
Anyway, all the grease aroud the gear were dry-out, it's a good time to clean it all.

Keep going , just make sure the torque sensor section is ok if you tried to take off the case.

Thanks JC. You're awesome! I appreciate it.
Matt, I have a 1991 Auto NSX and find the steering wheel feels notchy. In the old days it would be caused by loose steering wheel nut - thats the sensation. It moves 1/2" with a little resistance then is tight again. One owner says all manuals are like this. But mine is an Auto.
Is this a fault and is it dangerous? Can you fix it and what is involved at your end?
Cheers

Matt, I have a 1991 Auto NSX and find the steering wheel feels notchy. In the old days it would be caused by loose steering wheel nut - thats the sensation. It moves 1/2" with a little resistance then is tight again. One owner says all manuals are like this. But mine is an Auto.
Is this a fault and is it dangerous? Can you fix it and what is involved at your end?
Cheers
sounds like your internal bushes in the rack are worn.
I had the same issue so i sent my rack to Matt.
Now it feels sensational.
He does great work.

Cheers

I have a spare EPS Rack here I need gone, it works fine except for a faulty torque sensor. I could put your torque sensor in mine and your in business . Easy solution !

Did a canyon run last Sunday and the whole time I was thinking how well the car drove. Matt does awesome work.

Hi All,

Just in case anybody needs their EPS rack rebuilt, Matt (d1 guy) has proved once again to save the day one of our Western Australia owners. John contacted me a while ago as somebody had mentioned that I had a similar problem with a knock in the power steering on my NSX.

I put John in-touch with Matt (d1 guy) in America, who has once again, fixed the problem and added another very happy customer to his growing list. John was quoted $10,000 for the rack in WA, whereas I was quoted $12,000, the repair even after shipping costs to and from the US is a much cheaper option than what is available here.

Anyway, if anybody does have any questions about this please let me know, but I just thought I would remind people if anybody does need this fix, this is the place to go.

Cheers,

David

My EPS rack was starting to 'Knock' slightly so i pulled it apart and rebuilt the rack. A local engineer machined a a sleeve around the piston and eliminated the noise, worked really well. I also have some parts available for the EPS unit, power unit, electric motor (Rack), steering sensor, and some other smaller items.

My EPS rack was starting to 'Knock' slightly so i pulled it apart and rebuilt the rack. A local engineer machined a a sleeve around the piston and eliminated the noise, worked really well. I also have some parts available for the EPS unit, power unit, electric motor (Rack), steering sensor, and some other smaller items.

Hi Brendan,

I didn't think your car had EPS, I thought it was a 91 model, although I was obviously wrong!!!

Can anyone confirm the differences between the 1991 and 2002 EPS racks? Apparently the new ones have an extra wire, but I haven't been able to confirm.

I need to fix mine and there's a 2002 for sale, be great if they're interchangeable.

Back