• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS Rack

Hi All,

Just in case anybody needs their EPS rack rebuilt, Matt (d1 guy) has proved once again to save the day one of our Western Australia owners. John contacted me a while ago as somebody had mentioned that I had a similar problem with a knock in the power steering on my NSX.

I put John in-touch with Matt (d1 guy) in America, who has once again, fixed the problem and added another very happy customer to his growing list. John was quoted $10,000 for the rack in WA, whereas I was quoted $12,000, the repair even after shipping costs to and from the US is a much cheaper option than what is available here.

Anyway, if anybody does have any questions about this please let me know, but I just thought I would remind people if anybody does need this fix, this is the place to go.

Cheers,

David
What are these 10-12k numbers?

What are these 10-12k numbers?

I was quoted $12,850 + fitting if I needed my EPS rack fixed at John Blair Honda in Victoria Australia. They said it cannot be repaired and is a throw away unit!!!

I Western Australia John, who contacted me having heard I had sent my rack to America, was quoted $10,000 + fitting for his EPS rack. Needless to say, even after freight costs, sending the racks to (Matt) d1 guy was a great option and in both cases he did a fantastic job.

I suspect the prices I am quoting above are insane compared to America, but keep in mind, a new NSX in Australia was $220,000 and a good secondhand manual 91-94 with low kilometres would fetch $70,000 - $85,000 at the moment!!!

All automatics NSX regardless of year have EPS, manuals 93 and onwards have it with the exception of Type S and Type Rs, Zanardi etc.

Interestingly the part numbers for the NA2R steering rack and the 91 manual rack are the same. I've gone from EPS to manual, its significantly heavier at low speed but worth it in terms of feeling more connected with the car, was way cheaper than repairing the EPS rack.

All automatics NSX regardless of year have EPS, manuals 93 and onwards have it with the exception of Type S and Type Rs, Zanardi etc.Interestingly the part numbers for the NA2R steering rack and the 91 manual rack are the same. I've gone from EPS to manual, its significantly heavier at low speed but worth it in terms of feeling more connected with the car, was way cheaper than repairing the EPS rack.
Does it feel the same above 60ish kmh?

I'd say still slightly heavier; I thought the EPS only really worked at low speeds but I do remember the EPS steering feeling lighter at speed. I had the NA2R front swaybar and tie bar installed at the same time, don't think that would influence the steering weight too much though.

If anyone has problems with their EPS light, pull the clock fuse first then, re-insert and re-start before considering going to the service department Light usually goes away, may take 2 or 3 attempts.

Back