• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 to 94 split armrest swap

I am wanting to switch to the split armrest. Are there any requirements for this to happen or is it a direct swap? Do I need to swap the rear center speaker plastic as well?

Out of curiosity, why do you want to swap out armrests? Do you want the cupholders?

I actually like the older one. the newer style has to many doors, and when you open the main door, it only open half the way and its hard to get you wallet out etc.
but I need the cup holder.

and miss the VTEC metal badge. but when the cars sits in the heat of the sun, and you touch it with your arm it burns the shizzz out of you.

You're not a real NSX owner unless you have that DOHC badge branded into your arm ;)

You're not a real NSX owner unless you have that DOHC badge branded into your arm ;)

WOW, can I vouch for that, sometimes I sit in the passanger seat just to get the other arm branded to match :tongue:

I went the other way -- I have a 1994 and got a 1991 arm rest, paid $150 for the 1991 arm rest, and sold my 94 one for peanuts... You don't need to replace the center back panel if you are doing the reverse swap.

It's more not-really-usable compartments.

The top compartment (forward) is apparently for coins, but I can imagine that being really annoying with all the jingling around every time you open up the bottom compartment. The cupholders can't hold any modern fast food drink bigger than a medium without struggling, and you definitely don't wanna put two drinks in there. The owner's manual smartly reminds you that drinks shouldn't be kept in the car while driving, and if you ever put a drink in there which is more than half-full it's easy to see why they recommend this. That leaves the the bottom 'large' compartment as really the only usable space. It is just enough for me to keep my wallet, sunglasses and maybe one other small random item.

Dunno if the earlier armrests are more functional, but I imagine a single larger storage space may be handier than one which is split into smaller compartments.

I dig having that front split space - an EZPass fits perfectly in it.

- - - Updated - - -

This almost happened to my GFs left *b*****t* as she was leaning over to wrestle something outta my paws.

Good thing for her just half of it was a temporary red tittoo....

- - - Updated - - -

I switched to the EZ Pass Flex to use with the Lexus-lanes they opened late last year, but it doesn't fit in that compartment. I guess that'll be pointless now that I'm driving a car that will never qualify for HOV +3 though hahahah

I just keep my parking permit in that compartment =/

I find the split design to be very useful, I can fit the garage door opener and house alarm fob in the front compartment, and my phone in the rear compartment (where the useless cupholders are designed to reside), makes access easier for each.

I like the look of the 91 arm rest but the newer model is much more useful :wink:.

If you want the "look" of the old (DOHC) and the functionality of the "new"... The only model year that is perfect for that is : 1993

The 1993 NSXs had the dual compartment and retained the badge... no other year did this!

Attachments

• 1993 nsx armrest.JPG
    1993 nsx armrest.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 137
If you want the "look" of the old (DOHC) and the functionality of the "new"... The only model year that is perfect for that is : 1993

The 1993 NSXs had the dual compartment and retained the badge... no other year did this!

I meant the one piece ( one door compartment) look :smile:.

Back