• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

JDM 180 kmph Speedometer into USDM cluster

Might be a oddly specific question but I had purchased a JDM 180 kmph speedometer awhile back and tried to swap it into the original USDM cluster but it didn't work. I thought I might have screwed something up with the cluster so swapped the original back in and everything is functional again. The range is quite different as the JDM speedometer has the km markings similarly to the mph marking on the original. I would have thought maybe calibration would be an issue but the JDM one didn't register anything at any speed. Anyone run into similar problems or have successfully done the swap that could shed some light? Do I have a defective JDM speedometer maybe?

Likely defective. You should check the stepper motor hair diameter wires to see if they are connected.

Look at your original speedo as a guide.

You can use a Legend cluster to rob parts from if all else fails. It will be a difficult robbery, but it can be done.

You will have to change a resistor on the circuit board to get the reading down to calibration range. But speedo should work out of range as a test.

Likely defective. You should check the stepper motor hair diameter wires to see if they are connected.

Look at your original speedo as a guide.

You can use a Legend cluster to rob parts from if all else fails. It will be a difficult robbery, but it can be done.

You will have to change a resistor on the circuit board to get the reading down to calibration range. But speedo should work out of range as a test.
I did a comparison between the two and couldn't note any differences between them with the wires. Yeah I would have expected the speedometer to work any maybe been off in terms of calibration but since it doesn't function at all it may be defective. I guess I have a cool looking gauge as "art" now

Do a resistance check between the leads of your working speedo.

Legend KA5-KA6 clusters are cheap enough. Get one, with the use of tweezer pliers, you can swap out the stepper motor, and install in your JDM speedometer body.

Last edited:
Back