• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Troubling news from my tuner tonight,

Put my CTSC 96 nsx on the dyno tonight because something just didnt feel right. Basically he got it to 5k RPMs and said the engine is starving big time, and after a few mini pulls, cancelled the dyno. It's the high boost CTSC kit, but I feel like the gear from the previous owner has become too dated to justify a similar set up. He recommended I get a 340 aeromotive fuel pump, Aero FPR, 1000cc ID injectors and a stand alone AEM. What do you guys think? I've seen people get up into the high 300's on a high boost CTSC with similar set ups, but 3k all at once is no easy pill to swallow, but neither is a blown motor :( As far as the motor goes, I have Headers, intake, exhaust, clutch, CTSC (and w/e came with the high boost kit), 106k miles, 6spd tranny. Thanks for the help fellas!

Last edited:
In my opinion, the AEM FIC is a poor tuning system for a forced induction Civic, let alone an NSX... The difference between the Civic and the NSX is the impact on your wallet if a catastrophic failure occurs.
You may not even have an FIC though, and if that is the case, you probably have an FMU, which, again in my own opinion, is like hooking a horse up to the front of your car for more power, which will probably get you down the 1/4 mile faster, but unless you are in the nineteenth century, you will look like a fool... The same goes for an FMU..

The AEM EMS is really the best option. Only thing better would be if someone could hack the oem ECU (like Hondata), then you could retain all of the oem features that you could potentially lose with the EMS (traction control comes to mind).

Last edited:
Well all of the tuning and previous stuff is assumed, I've only had the car for a week and I'm like the 7th owner. But, what I know is it uses a FMU, it appears to have an upgraded fuel rail, stainless lines. All seems to be in concordance with the high boost comptech kit; 8-9 psi on the gauge. It's a 3.0 motor, injectors are unkown, I havent pulled them yet. @ekhonda87, Yeah I'm working on just getting a full EMS system, according to what I read, the high boost CTSC uses a chipped computer and a preset FMU for tuning.

The way I see it you have two solutions.

1. If you're budget restricted at the moment get the low boost pulley and tune the FMU to get the best AFR possible. I'm currently running the low boost pulley with the Comptech fueling solution (FMU, RRFPR, etc..) pushing 350+wHP at 7lbs on the 3.0L. It sure would be nice to know which injectors you had because that's the wildcard at the moment.

2. If you want to spend the $$ then get an EMS and all the other stuff you mentioned and be done w/ it.

2a. I don't think the F/IC is a bad solution but not as good as the EMS. The F/IC is better than the FMU though if tuned properly. I'm going this route first with the RDX injectors at 60psi on the Fuel Rail. This will help me understand the limitations. I run a piggyback F/IC in my supercharged pickup and it's been 60k miles and bulletproof.

Last edited:
I would upgrade the fuel pump first and try again. Mine was leaning out at high-rpm until a new fuel pump was added. Then all was good. Its not expensive -- though a bitch to put in.

^ +1

Pull the injectors out and send them to RC Eng to get cleaned. You'll get a nice report and you'll have hard data on the flow rates as well (before and after).

I think cleaning the 240 cc fuel injectors is a waste of time and money. If he's running a high-boost setup he is way undersized on his injectors to begin with.

Assuming that the previous owners all: (a) drove it hard, and (b) didn't follow good maintenance practices, I would replace/upgrade the fuel pump - it's 17 years old anyway - and definitely replace/upgrade the fuel injectors.

And, on top of everything, I would definitely run much better engine management.

^ +1

Pull the injectors out and send them to RC Eng to get cleaned. You'll get a nice report and you'll have hard data on the flow rates as well (before and after).

Well, I just got off the phone with science of speed and they suggested I go with 550cc injectors and a 255lph pump to avoid the rewiring, with a stock FPR. My tuner said he can tune the ID1000cc injectors pretty well, and agrees 340lph is a bit over kill, but kinda takes the Bazooka to a gun fight approach. Both agree on the stand alone EMS since FMU's are quite dated. The difference between what my tuner says and sos is around 250$. My tuner tells me he can get the 1000cc injectors to idle completely fine, and can tune them very easily. Just don't want to go crazy overkill here, but if i have the opportunity to prepare the car for possible future goals it doesnt seem to be a bad choice, and yeah the first thing I'm doing is changing the fuel filter and getting a new fuel pump, but idk which one yet. I heard it's a huge PITA and most people just pay to get it done.

I think the 550s that SoS sells are the old RCs, which even RC themselves will tell you is old, outdated technology. The IDs would be my choice.

With the ID the 750 and 1000cc are the same price, might as well go with the 1000?

It's supposed to and a fuel pump, and modified rail. But, I dont know what my issue is at the moment, and at the moment I have no ability to program or change anything. It might be something as small as a fuel filter, which would be nice, but the more I think of it, it's not entirely a bad idea to give this new car of mine a complete fuel overhaul. Speaking of any chance someone has a 95-96 AEM EMS? I'll probably buy all the rest new!

- - - Updated - - -

also: Is the fuel tank removal on the 91 service manual pretty much the same thing on a 96?

Just want to check with you guys, does this look about right, placing an order with SoS, their qoute.

enpp-2221 ScienceofSpeed AEM EMS Series 2 Engine Management System - NSX, 1995-96
s erial no. XXXX, XXXXX/X1

enpp-2152 Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injector (includes installation hardware) - each
specify vehicle application - 1996 NSX 6

enpp-2154 Injector Dynamics Honda OBD1 plug-and-play connector - UPGRADE PRICE - each -
NSX, all years & S2000, 00-05

enpp-2051 ScienceofSpeed Injector Resistor Bypass Harness 1

enpp-2191 Aeromotive 340 LPH In Tank Pump (part no. 11141) 1

enpp-2301 ScienceofSpeed Fuel Pump Power Distribution Kit - NSX, all years 1

enpp-931 Aeromotive Compact EFI Fuel Pressure Regulator 1:1 30-70 PSI (13105) 1

enpp-258 AEM Universal Inline Wideband UEGO Controller (30-2310)
(NEED TWO OF THESE, OR ONE OF THESE + ENPP-985)

enpp-259 ScienceofSpeed UEGO Electrical Install Kit - NSX, all years

ipp-985 AEM Digital UEGO / Wideband AFR Gauge & Controller (30-4100)

My car is a 96, shouldnt the Injector adapters be OBD2? also, they added the wideband stuff, is this necessary if I'm going to a tuner immediately after anyways, or is this more for peace of mind even after the tune?

Last edited:
Back