• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AEM EMS to iOS Digital Dashboard and Gauge Display

Prototypes available $199:

http://www.enoughlogic.com/digital-display/prototype-aem-ems-to-ios-digital-display

Enter coupon code: PRIME PROTOTYPE at the checkout to save $50

Also you can now add on PLX Sensor modules(IE. Wideband O2, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, EGT) at a discounted rate when you order them with a transmitter. Just select them from the drop down menu on the transmitter site.

The project I'm working on brings AEM EMS users and hopefully other engine management system users a digital dashboard and gauge display setup to their iOS device. My hardware streams data to your iPad/iPhone Via bluetooth. Because AEM EMS is used on so many cars and can output so many parameters I make the software as flexible as possible so it can be used to show any 19 channels you want in a usable format.

Some of the features included:
-Customizable gauge interface, add/move/size gauges as desired,
-Choose style and settings for each gauge

-Each channel will have its own limitations, IE even though AEM EMS outputs 0-12500 or 0-25000rpm you can still choose a gauge that only shows 0-9000rpm with appropriate scaling.
-Any output from the AEM EMS can be read. If you hook up a fuel pressure or oil pressure sensor the software can read it and output in a user friendly format, not just voltage.
-Choose your colors, Gauge bounds, and Warnings individually for each channel
-Analog, Round Bar, Horizontal Bar, Graph, Text based and other gauges
-Data-logging that can be viewed on any iOS device you own. Log the data on your iPhone view on your iPad etc. The data can also be exported and opened in desktop datalogging applications.
-The new Advanced Warning Trigger system works with the warning system to trigger inputs on your AEM EMS to help protect the engine, lower boost and can activate many other AEM EMS features.

I also want to note that right now the hardware will not work with all iOS devices. It will only work with newer Bluetooth 4.0 devices. iPhone 4s + 5, iPad 3 and 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th generation. I do plan on making a version to work with older devices but this will have to work using wifi instead of bluetooth. My main focus right now will be finishing up the software and I should be able to release the wifi version once I'm done with testing and ready for a complete release.

Here is the app running in my NSX.

iOS%20Simulator%20Screen%20shot%20Aug%2031,%202013%201.05.06%20PM.png

Datalogging:
IMG_0102.jpg

Advanced Warning System:

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Last edited:
One of my customer's test units in a turbocharged S2000. He just got the device today and is still setting up a few channels. He has a few additional sensors hooked up to his AEM EMS including Oil temp and Oil Pressure, these sensors work seamlessly with my app. I've still got a couple more test units ready to ship if anyone is interested. These are fully functional, and I'm updating the software constantly as the test phase progresses.

As of right now I don't have any specific plans to produce one for android. I haven't programmed for android at all yet. I would have to learn the programming language and rewrite the app so it would take a lot of time. If the demand it there then it may happen but I don't want to get anyone's hopes up yet.

Thanks, I wanted something like this, so I decided to make it myself.

Quick clip of the app running in my turbocharged NSX.

Thanks.

Right now I'm working on the advanced warning system. In addition to the basic high/low warning system built into each gauge is a separate advanced warning system. Each advanced warning can be setup for multiple or singular conditions. IE Boost greater than 5psi & AFR greater than 12.2. Another example RPM > 3500 and Oil Pressure Less than 40psi. They can also be compared to other channels, IE AFR Not within 10% of target AFR, or Bank1 AFR not within .3 AFR of Bank2 AFR. Warnings can be visual and/or audio.

What type of screen do you mean? Computer monitor, tv, something like that? With an adapter an iphone can use HDMI to output to just about any screen, or you can use an Apple TV to mirror the display over wifi to any hdmi compatible device. Additionally can also export the datalog to be viewed on an iPad.

Last edited:
If it has a digital input I would say its possible but might require jail breaking the phone though. I'm not sure if all apps can be mirrored or video only.

Added a few more features. The datalogs now have a very easy export to virtualdyno feature. Zoom to any area of a datalog with a full throttle complete gear pull and you can easily export that area of the datalog to be emailed and opened in the VirtualDyno application. I made a quick second gear pull today and this program was literally within 1 percent of what it made on the dyno using a 1.00 correction factor. The application is impressive to say the least.

http://virtualdyno.net/

I also began working on my trigger system as well. Right now the app can wirelessly tell the transmitter to ground certain pins on the AEM EMS(not through the serial port but wired in to auxiliary connections on the transmitter). Setting up the optional switched inputs in the AEM Tuner/Pro application you can setup the two step or nitrous maps to trigger, and protect the engine during any number of conditions using the advanced warning system. This allows you to use the app to detect lean conditions at any boost level, low oil pressure mapped against any RPM, over boost conditions etc.

Here is the export from the app used in the VirtualDyno application:

I hope to beef up the track features more. Throw out some features that track guys might like to see and I can give you an idea on how feasible they may be to included.

So far I've got the google maps integration working well, including streetview integration so you can see the Google street view from any point of the datalog with the appropriate bearing (Google maps does have many race tracks with the street view of the track). I added the G Force channels this morning using the built in accelerometer, they can be viewed and datalogged like any of the other 19 AEM EMS channels, I'm going to add a crosshair style gauge to show lateral, and acceleration G forces. The plan is to log the G force of the car and plot the G forces onto the map in a color format. Hopefully I can finish that up by the end of the day.

With all the new features I'm adding to the datalog system I'm going to try to work on a better interface to create a more useful viewing platform. Right now there is just too much information to show on one screen, between all the data/timestamps for each channel at selected point, the graphs for each channel, the maps with streetview and plot of the log, G forces, horsepower information etc. it's going to need it's own menu system.

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

Still working any chance I get. Added dropbox integration. All datalogs and settings files can be shared among all your devices. I decided to go the dropbox route vs icloud as this allows for better integration among all devices, be it an android device, or a windows pc. etc.

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

The iBorg collective saw fit to accept the app into the app store. Once the enclosure is complete I will have an introductory special. Hopefully within a few weeks.

Still working on the gauge designs. Adding some style and more advanced features:

iOS%20Simulator%20Screen%20shot%20Aug%2031,%202013%201.05.06%20PM.png

Subbed. Amazed this is for series1 also. I want one for my 3000! Let me know if you need another tester;)

Back