• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX kills light post , sad day

Just started raining. slick road. hydroplane @35mph. jump curb, kills light post. 360 in mid air. landed and popped a wheel.

Wife was driving...but I guess it could have happened to anyone. Luckily no other cars were around, no bodily injuries.

Both doors don't close all the way anymore, does this look like a potential frame damage? Any thoughts on what the repair needed and potential cost might be here? Will she ever drive the same again? Its hard to find another 2003 Yellow/Yellow combination that has low miles...

7459_10103216316223380_816671618_n.jpg

998322_10103216315514800_1097946591_n.jpg

942838_10103216315854120_1840524361_n.jpg

998253_10103216316108610_111314918_n.jpg

996162_10103216315909010_1690812219_n.jpg

1001469_10103216315509810_2061733215_n.jpg

That does not look good. I think definite frame damage. This car may be totaled. I'm sorry man that sucks. Talk to pbassjo. Shawn is probably already after it.

- - - Updated - - -

See? I told you. LOL he's like a vulture... Hehe but thank God we have him.

I can see in the pics the doors dont open all the way cuz the sideskirts are pressing into the door. intill you take the panels off hood bumper etc. your not gonna know for sure.

now the insurance company is gonna price it out since parts are so expensive and then total it. give you its value then auction it off and get 90% of their money back.

if you tell them you want them to total it out and you keep the car, use the money they gave you to get it fixed. now she is branded rebuild/salvage but you can now add some more ponies
under the hood. with that extra cash.

Last edited:
Yeah Shawn got on this pretty fast! I'm still waiting for adjuster to look at it today and will update...

I don't understand how the total and keep your car works. Would they just give the cash amount for total and still let you keep your car or do they subtract the auction value?

Keep in mind though. Repairing it as a salvage may damper resale at a later date. I'm not saying don't do it but salvage titled cars stay on the market considerably longer. Banks usually won't finance. Hopefully it's not totaled.

All the NSx's I have rebuild having a salvage title the buyer finaced thru your normal ventue's USAA, PENFED etc.

how it works is you let them tell you the bottom line what your gonna get your gonna get XXXXX dollars then you tell them you want to keep the car they subtract from the offer they just gave you.
I have seen people buy their car back for 8000 and keep the rest.

so lets say they offered you 50,000 dollars then you say I wanna keep the car they would subtract 8,000 off the 50,000 you get the check for 42,000 and you keep the car. use that money how ever your want. add headers etc. have a fun car. drive the hell out of it.

as for re-sale value yes your not gonna get what you paid for it but your will get close to that. and if repaired correctly and documented the next guy will love the car as much as you do.

yes its still branded but what other branded rebuilt car in the world will retain 90% of it value.... None only the NSX will

Keep in mind though. Repairing it as a salvage may damper resale at a later date. I'm not saying don't do it but salvage titled cars stay on the market considerably longer. Banks usually won't finance. Hopefully it's not totaled.

true statement. just cash out completly and buy another clean title one.

Last edited:
total drag.... very odd to hydroplane at just 35 mph. Must have been a real Texas storm!

You guys are wusses (minus shawn), this can be rebuilt properly and enjoyed for years to come. You're acting like a flood car.

I would much rather have a car with a dirty title that I KNOW the exact history and care it's been under rather than a clean title car that is at the mercy of trusting paperwork.

All the NSx's I have rebuild having a salvage title the buyer finaced thru your normal ventue's USAA, PENFED etc.

how it works is you let them tell you the bottom line what your gonna get your gonna get XXXXX dollars then you tell them you want to keep the car they subtract from the offer they just gave you.
I have seen people buy their car back for 8000 and keep the rest.

so lets say they offered you 50,000 dollars then you say I wanna keep the car they would subtract 8,000 off the 50,000 you get the check for 42,000 and you keep the car. use that money how ever your want. add headers etc. have a fun car. drive the hell out of it.

as for re-sale value yes your not gonna get what you paid for it but your will get close to that. and if repaired correctly and documented the next guy will love the car as much as you do.

yes its still branded but what other branded rebuilt car in the world will retain 90% of it value.... None only the NSX will

This is some good info here.
The salvage title is going to cut in to the resale value for sure, but that doesn't matter much if you are going to keep and enjoy the car. Very sorry to hear about the accident and I hope that things work out as best as they can for you going forward.

Really feel bad for you - the photos are hurtful :frown:

Please forgive her as quickly as you are able to.... NSX can be replaced but she cannot.

It's sad to see a 2003 yellow / yellow go like this, what's the serial number if you don't mind?

OUCH :frown:

Shawn is the resident rebuilder. He has a very large buffer and those dings come right out. :smile: I kid about the buffer, but he has rebuilt several and documents the work here on prime for documentation of the damage and the process the car went through on the rebuild. So that potential future buyers will hopefully be more willing to pay more for a salvage titled car.

Shawn is the president of "Save the NSX" movement.

LOL thanks for all the shout out guys I just have a passion for the NSX and dont want any to die, while searching for my next project

I have found several NSX's sitting with trees growing around them no shit. grass 4 feet tall were they mow the grass around it. makes me sad.

if anyone wants info on any of these parts cars let me know

the one I am talking about is a yellow 02 sad sad minor damage too.

Same thing happened to me back in '04 in my neighborhood. No cosmetic damage (other than front lip), just the under-bits (A/C, lines, cross-members, suspension parts, right-front framerail, wheels, battery-tray, etc).

You got 3 likely options to look into:

- If you want to get fair value for such a rare example, let the insurance adjuster total-loss it & compensate you market-value +TTL.

- If you want to get fair value for such a rare example, the insurance adjuster will total-loss it & compensate you market-value +TTL; buy it back (minus your deductible) & get it to shawn110975 for repair. You can/will come out ahead in the end.

- If you want to get it repaired w/ a lifetime warranty for the repair, David McDavid Collision Center can likely repair it to near-new condition. The insurance-adjuster will likely just link up w/ the repair facility. And you can then also look into getting diminished-valuation settlement as-per your coverage policy.

Last edited:
If a car is totaled by the ins co, but is "technically" repairable. Will a reputable shop such as David McDavid do the repairs or will they not want the liability?

I think any shop will do the repairs money talks have they ever done an NSX before need to ask but I sure they will say yes.. ask for pics of the NSX they did.

I am sure any shop with the tools can do it.

- - - Updated - - -

and BATMANs has a point take some pics of the rear tires are they bald. to automaticly hydroplane at 35 the rears have to be bald or near it.

the one thing that I always check is my tires its the only thing between you and the grim reaper ya know

one way to check if they need to change is put your pinky finger in the tread if it goes to the middle of your fingernail its time to change tires

If a salvage title, it's not just getting less for resale. It's that 90% (I reckon) of potential buyers will walk away. I guess having a known salvage rebuilder do the work may help, but most folks won't even read that far into a listing.

But if you never want to sell again....who cares?

In shawn's example, 42k and a rebuildable car that might cost 20k to rebuild (shawn, is that about right? I know it 'depends' of course....) might be really attractive. Install CTSC + go on a Mediterranean Cruise with the balance perhaps ?

Last edited:
happy your wife is unscathed physically..but she sure got a tremendous scare.....good luck in whatever path you choose with the car.

If you would like a experienced, knowledgeable and sympathetic ear, advice or help navigating this stressful event please give me a call.
I believe i can help you understand what is happening, understand the options and their consequences and hopefully empower you so you can be confident in choosing the course of action that is the best one for you, your needs and personal situation.
Click on the link below and you'll find my number and hours best to reach me. Tell my secretary it's regarding the NSX in Texas.
Regards, Joe.

That is a very kind and generous offer from an expert in the field.

Back