• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX kills light post , sad day

Wife was driving...but I guess it could have happened to anyone. Luckily no other cars were around, no bodily injuries.

I'm sure your wife feels horrible. You are correct it could have happened to anyone and it has to some.

It would be interesting to hear how the rear tires are on the car. The one I know of that spun had been planning to purchase tires before it happened.

Stuff happens. The most important part is nobody was hurt. The car can be replaced or fixed.

Keep us posted.

Very sad to see, the good side is nobody was injured.

Tires look like Falken 452's and I think I can see the wear bars.

you mean these wear bars NSXPRIME detectives at their best

- - - Updated - - -

996162_10103216315909010_1690812219_n.jpg

I'm not as fast as Shawn on this one :rolleyes: Glad your wife is okay and your wise enough to "understand" it could happen to anyone.

I have a 2002 yellow/yellow I'm about to put up for sale :smile: All stock except Comptech exhaust, no accidents or mechanical problems, and just turned 54K this last weekend.

PM me if you are interested. It is not listed anywhere yet but it was listed here on Prime last year for a few months

you mean these wear bars NSXPRIME detectives at their best

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 101839

Dam, I'm so smart.....

Yep, that looks like negligence. If there was serious bodily injuries or death it would have been criminal negligence.

OP would consider himself lucky if he isn't cited for that.

I've driven 65 MPH in a DELUGE of rain with brand new RE050 with the NSX and it wasn't a problemo.

Falken tires (nor any brand that I've used) just don't perform as well as Bridgestones in the wet.

BATMANs gets the credit he called it out. but I think he has his tires all wrong.

BF Goodrich KDW fire tread grips like your on a sandy hot desert road in the rain.

they are pricey though 899 a full set I have gone thru 2 set in the rear since jan.

I have tried almost all the tires some are OK. most dont feel right, and none lasts longer with the way I drive better than KDW BF goodrich

try them out BATMANs

Last edited:
Shawn, I've tried the KDW. They are not bad, but from my NSX and GTO exprience I've kept on relying on Bridgestone for their awesome wet traction (as well as dry).

I think it's some combination of the tread design in evacuating water as well as the quality of the rubber (silicon/carbon content?).

The other thing is that Bridgestones are suppose to get softer as they were down. My understanding was that a 180UTA new will wear down to 140UTA for example to help compensate for smaller water channels in the tire tread.

- - - Updated - - -

Moral of the story:

Don't wear the tires down
Don't use cheap tires on an expensive and rare car
Multi piece forged wheels and cheap tires is like wearing an Armani or military cut bespoke suit with $20 sneakers to a job interview.
Get Classic car insurance and have an agreed value of $100k for the NSX

I'm in the market for some new tires for the rear. I was leaning toward the Falken FK452 265/35 18's. Since I know somebody who likes his and has ran his car in open road course events.

I currently have the same size tires in the Bridgestones. After this thread, maybe I should stick with the Bridgestones.

My car rarely if ever sees the rain or wet roads. Only when I've been out and been caught in a sprinkle.

In this part of Texas we have been in a drought. So when it starts raining and especially if it's a light rain the road gets real oily. My accident happened at about the same speed and my tires had only 3K miles on them. Hell the other people who were driving in my group were sliding on the spot in their shoes. No matter how much tread you have there is no grip on oil. But Shawn and Batman are right those tires look very worn. As far as insurance, because it's an NSX and the car's condition (except the tires) was excellent prior to the accident you should come out OK no matter what option you choose to take. So glad no one was hurt. Give you wife a hug and tell her it's OK . Things could be a lot worse than a wrecked car. I feel your pain but it will all work out in the end it's just a hassel that's all.

Thanks all for your thoughts and i'm sure many of you understand what were going through as NSX Owners. We all got this car for similar reasons I would think. There are things unknown like how the driving will be even after its fixed and whether the body may crack later on is what I've gathered.

Nobody was there to really know what happen. My wife said she was in 2nd gear and had shifted to 3rd, at which point she slightly turned the steering wheel. She also did not apply the gas smoothly coming into 3rd and must have spun the wheel more then needed. When rain first come pouring down on texas asphalt it is the most slippery as oil seeps up. There's no doubt tires should be in good condition, but I hope this thread doesn't turn into a tire discussion anymore as I don't think any of that helps.

I don't want to think about super chargers or upgrades...just need to figure out what insurance will do and what options will be next.

Thanks again.

I thought the TCS would be suffice to advert this at 35MPH.

Not if you are hydroplaning on bald tires. A friend of mine did the same thing back in 2000 on warn drag radials. He was just driving in traffic and hit a puddle, no throttle just hydroplaned and the rear of the car went into the guard rail.

OP, glad your wife is ok as the car can be fixed. It is an accident that could happen to anyone.

Lotsa' wannabe Sennas here w/ mercurial wet driving skillz! :D

What happened isn't out of place in CenTex, as it's just a matter of the right ingredients (3"-4" standing water along a residential boulevard/parkway from a quick downpour, oil/petroleum-particulate from the asphalt road surface & other grime/slime from vegetation & daily sprinkler run'off) for a undesired recipe (low-gear & low-speed but high rpms, total loss of traction while skirting over the stationary sheet of water). These center barriers should be barred! :p

A year or so ago, similar demise for an area Ford GT, near identical situation.

nsx4real - definitely avail the opportunity to converse w/ pbassjo. He's on the same wavelength w/ regards to you when it comes care/condition of an NSX.

Sorry to hear OP, and glad you and your wife are OK. Not to dwell on the tire subject, but this looks like a simple case of hydroplaning on bald tires. I have driven multiple times in the rain on 452's and 453's and never had any issues (albeit, very good tread). You don't need the most expensive tires or best wet/dry performance tire as some are suggesting here to "survive" in the elements. But you do need good tires that aren't on it's last leg.

so now that the dust has settled...have you gotten a bill yet for the light pole repair?:frown:

The important thing is your wife is OK. The car can be repaired/replaced.

If you do give it to the insurance co. when they cash you out, you should keep the rear lower valance from the car so I can buy it from you ;)

Good luck bud, hopefully you come out alright on the deal. I'm sure you will.

Just wondering what degree of frame damage would deem this car either totaled or unrepairable. To what degree can you safely straighten aluminum assuming frame damage. Shawn, what is your experience with this?

Back