• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why NavPod?

I've thought about adding a Navpod a few times but I am looking for a compelling reason to do do. I can think of one:

Right now I have a double din Kenwood DNX6690HD. I do experience the glare issue and wanted to know if I would be able to run the nav part of it on a different screen in the NavPod? It has a composite audio/video out. Would I be able to broadcast one function on the din (such as radio) and have the nav display on a NavPod screen OR would it just mirror what I'm seeing on the double din?

I've thought about adding a Navpod a few times but I am looking for a compelling reason to do do. I can think of one:

Right now I have a double din Kenwood DNX6690HD. I do experience the glare issue and wanted to know if I would be able to run the nav part of it on a different screen in the NavPod? It has a composite audio/video out. Would I be able to broadcast one function on the din (such as radio) and have the nav display on a NavPod screen OR would it just mirror what I'm seeing on the double din?

That will depend if the Kenwood is able to send a different signal from the video out than what it's showing on it's display. A lot of the units don't.

That will depend if the Kenwood is able to send a different signal from the video out than what it's showing on it's display. A lot of the units don't.

How does one figure this out? It would be an excellent use for the navpod.

How does one figure this out? It would be an excellent use for the navpod.

Check the user manual or contact Kenwood, I had to contact Sony to find out mine does not do it.

Ok will do. If it does, I may need to get your bracket.

Do the smaller vents in the NavPod result in less air blowing--is it noticeable?

I have a navpod and havent been able to find a headunit that that will seperate the nav for the scrren in the navpod, been looking for YEARS.

I have not noticed a decrease in my a/c from the small vents, HOWEVER when you turn the a/c off on a hot day the screen will condensate.

Thanks Ko. What do you currently use your Navpod for?

I have a navpod and havent been able to find a headunit that that will seperate the nav for the scrren in the navpod, been looking for YEARS.

I have not noticed a decrease in my a/c from the small vents, HOWEVER when you turn the a/c off on a hot day the screen will condensate.

Check this out--it's for the Kenwood system I have. By the looks of this video, it seems like you could split functions on to 2 screens.

http://www.howto-make.org/US9-QMone...6990HD-True-Dual-Zone-DVD-and-Navigation.html

I'd also like to integrate my radar detector somehow--not sure if there's any kind of radars that could integrate into a screen type display currently available--might be asking for too much.

Last edited:
I will check out your build. I have a double DIN that I use for music (XM), Nav, and backup camera. So I am wondering what additional functionality I can get out of a space for a NavPod?

I have gauges in mine.

Ozone,

I have pondered this question myself on numerous occasions but unless you track and need the additional gauges I just don't see the need for the extra pod. Couldn't you just add gauges to the A pillar and be done with it? Don't get me wrong everyone has their preferences but I haven't seen a truly great layout yet that has convinced me to pull the trigger. For example, for all the uses people say there is often an simpler and cheaper way to do it without putting this big pod on your dash. Examples:

Music - I have a Grom+Smartenna in my ride so my music is from my phone with no wires. Didn't have to cut up my dash. All OEM. Leave phone in pocket or buy a cheap air vent magnetic mount to keep your phone in view and within reach.

Nav - Phone is mounted as above and since the Grom is Bluetooth I receive all my phone calls, nav directions, etc via the speakers. If you need to view the nav then just have the phone unlocked. Besides your phone gets constant never ending free updates via google maps + traffic for free. Why pay for it or worry about doing software updates to a head unit?

Radar - I have a Valentine 1 unit with the hidden display mounted in my ash tray. Believe it or not if fits perfectly like it was meant for it. Flip the cover up when you want to see the display and flip it down for it to be hidden. I have also seen people hide the radar display behind the clock or in an aftermarket rear view mirror. The point is the options are whatever you can think of. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...e-Display-Solutions-for-NSX-owners-Option-A-B
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/179087-Valentine-One-Custom-Install

Cameras - Swap out the OEM mirror for an aftermarket mirror with a hidden display in it and add a little camera on back license plate area and on front air inlet. When I pop it into reverse the screen automatically comes on and give me the rear view and when I want the front view I have a switch to turn that camera on which overrides the rear view. When not in use it just looks like a regular mirror as the screen can't be seen unless it iis actively displaying something. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/179087-Valentine-One-Custom-Install

Garage door opener - Can get one on an aftermarket rearview mirror. Or do the secret switch and utilize clock illumination button. Or nowadays you can add internet connection to your garage and use your phone+app to unlock. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/182894-That-Secret-Switch!!!

Plus this setup doesn't care what phone or operating system you are running. If you want to pair with a friends phone for their music selection then its easy. Why would you want a fancy head unit and a tablet sitting on your dash screaming for someone to steal it? All my stuff is hidden and looks OEM. No one wants to steal my tape deck! Your phone is easily the most important thing you don't leave home with out anymore. Just think of all the cool things it will be able to do next year and then after and etc... why lock yourself into something that doesn't evolve?

Just my thoughts. I would love to see the people running the Pods explain things a little better as perhaps I am missing something. Plus I have never seen a car in person yet with one installed so I can't really say how well it all ties together.

Hopefully we will both learn something.

Took a few pics show what I mean.

78823cb188f88b2b9f6ca1e2de861f8e.jpg

2aacfe1e5d91a0d0840299ef981ff73d.jpg

c0a89d8dabe316e974d0bcfdd1ba8059.jpg

158edefc827d4b76ca9bd601f90c9073.jpg

Back