• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Daisy Imports is Great

I own a 26,000 mile stock 1996 white NSX-T and am a perfectionist As such, I have done/been forced to do everything within my capabilities on this car myself. I, however, cannot change a timing belt and have unsuccessfully looked for a technician of my ilk to do same for years. Some years ago I started to track the comments on Ben Schaeffer of Daisy Import Auto Care of Woodbine, MD and, as a result, decided to speak to him.

One Saturday morning Ben and I met for the first time. Among other things, I advised Ben how I worked on my car, that I wanted a technician who would do the same, and what needed to be done; e.g., timing belt, etc. - I provided a detailed parts list. Ben went over the car in detail and explained all that needed/should be done.

I must admit that I was shocked as to Ben’s knowledge of the NSX; he knows what will go wrong and when. I knew all the stuff I read on Prime, but Ben knew the whole story; his depth of knowledge was amazing. Beyond that, he would work on the car as I would. After years of looking and waiting, I finally found the technician I wanted and the results justified the wait. Ben was even better than the technician I met that Saturday.

Succinctly, Ben rejuvenated my NSX and he did it as it was his own. For example, he repainted the booster to OEM after replacing the leaking master cylinder; he took care of the corrosion caused by a non-sealed battery (replaced with Optima); etc., etc. Ben also sent the fuel injectors to RC, sent climate control to Brian, had one or more dents removed, had it tinted, obtained unavailable parts, etc. etc. I could not have been more pleased.

What I learned beyond finding Ben: what you don’t know could hurt you. The money and time spent with Ben (I was with him for half a day as he pulled off parts to replace the timing belt) was propitious, educational, and fun.

Subsequent to the above, I had Ben do some repairs on my Maxima and Toyota with the same great results. He squeezed them in between NSXs - the word is out; he is the man to take your NSX.

Edmond

I am remiss not to have already posted almost exactly the same thing. I was given my car by my mother, the original owner since '97. It has 34k miles and spent its life in Portland, Oregon, under the care of the local dealer. Once the car made it out here (barely), I connected with Ben because of posts on Prime. Actually, I called him when the car was on its way and he returned my call at 8:30 the same day, after finishing up at the shop. That was the first sign that he is not your average mechanic. Once I was able to send Ben copies of the maintenance records, he already had a pretty good idea of what he wanted to do to the car to get it up to date.

Two weeks later, when the car finally made it, Ben convinced me to bring it up for him to look at, notwithstanding that I wanted to drive it for a few weeks before service in order to see if anything popped up. First of all, I enjoyed arriving at a shop surrounded by corn fields and packed with NSXs. It was a fun hour and a half with Ben rattling off and pointing out a number of issues from sloppy maintenance, and was clear that I had found the right person. He wouldn't let me leave without a new air filter and also insisted I get the oil changed immediately (using the filter he supplied; he didn't have oil at the moment).

After my time of acquaintance with the car, I left it with Ben for a couple weeks, while he did the usual service including TB/WP, new hoses, valve adjustment, multiple seal replacements, coolant bottle, sent the CCU in for preventive care, sent the injectors for cleaning, new rotors, pads, master cylinder, new clutch master & slave, and a few other things. He allowed me to put off a few cosmetic (and other) issues for now, but thankfully insisted on taking care of the major mechanical items. He knew that I am bringing the car to the NSXPO track event and expect to attend other HPDE/autocrosses.

Last weekend I picked it up and couldn't be happier. The brakes are tremendous and have vastly improved the pedal feel. Moreover, I feel fortunate I live close to Ben and his shop. I know that regardless of what may come up with the car, he will be able to handle it. And he understands my desire to tinker with things on my own (although I'm sure he prefers that I practice on my other cars). I wish I were available to go to the indoor karting day that Ben proposed here on Prime but won't be available. He's an entertaining, educational, and fun person to spend time with. In a strange, ironic way, I somewhat look forward to my NSX needing work so that I have the privilege of Ben working on it. Okay, that might be a step too far. :)

-Jason

Just got my nsx back from Ben. As always Ben went above and beyond and my car runs like brand new once again.

Thank you Ben for treating my car like your own!

Kenny

Back