• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX changes by year, NA1/NA2 explanation, and production numbers (all in one simple chart)

Here's a new chart that combines info from previous threads, and clarifies the NA1/NA2 confusion.

NA1 has 3.0 engine: Manual cars 1991 through 1996, and ALL automatic cars
NA2 has 3.2 engine: Manual cars 1997 through 2005
Note, every car has either NA1 or NA2 as part of the VIN number.

Hopefully this chart shows everything you need to understand when looking for your first NSX.
new nsx chart 10.jpg
To give credit where credit is due, this evolved from a sketched chart I did in this thread that was refined and enhanced by @Wild Turkey:

In addition, I added production numbers from this thread, which shows charts by @Jetpilot3 where he used info by "Ben Lin." His charts also show detailed "how many of each color" production numbers, check them out.

Last edited:
print it , laminate it.....placemats...:p

oops, I had the automatic tranny a 5 speed, just fixed that. Let me know if there are other glitches!

And, yes, I know that manual or power steering is not part of the "drivetrain," but it made sense to group it with that.

Last edited:
There is more detailed "changes by year" info here:

And also, Acura still has most of their press info for each NSX year online here:

Last edited:
Hey, I’m not that knowledgeable about the automatic cars- is the 1995 change to “sportshift” significant enough to mention?
That's a great question. That might be worthwhile to mention but I'm also of the opinion of where do you stop! For example, 91-94 are the OBD1 vs 97-05 are OBD2 but within the 00+ it was considered LEV or ULEV (Low Emissions Vehicle vs Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) but I can't recall exactly the cutoff dates.

It's also my understanding that the 95-96 5spd had a shorter ratio 2nd gear but I can't quite find proof of that atm.

Where do you stop!!! aiya!

My thought was for this to be an overview- only including the info you would use to decide what years to pursue for your first NSX- showing just the big differences between versions.

I suspect most folks know which headlights and roof type they are attracted to, but probably don’t know which cars have manual steering, or know about the brake differences and interior differences, etc.

Adding the production numbers helps show how easy or hard it may be to find your preferred configuration.

Great job. I'd say the sport-shift change warrants separation, but I can see both sides of that. I waffled on the additional column to identify the rows originally, but I like it better your way now that more categories have been added.

But what I really feel was lost from the previous tables was the color change from NA1 to NA2, which was originally the focus since that's what so many people get wrong.

Along with that, how about a color change from manual to EPS, with both steering rows coloured consistently with each other, instead of with displacement, since they changed in different years.

Last edited:
OK, here's a slightly revised version. I actually decided all the different colors weren't helping the chart, so simplified it.

After looking over all the numbers, a couple things really stood out to me.

The original coupes made from 1991 through 1994 make up 5545 cars, that's 62% of the total production.

Production from 1991 through 1996 makes up 6833 cars, 76.3% of total production.

NA2 production (3.2L cars, all with manual tranny) was only 1998 cars from 1997-2005.

As a comparison, Ford made about 2000 Ford GTs in 2005 and another 2000 in 2006.

Anyway, I edited the first post and put the improved chart there.

Last edited:
I suppose this would be the most appropriate thread to link this video to.

Over the past several months I've been editing a podcast style NSX Buyer's Guide that lays out all of this and more. It got quite long so I had meant to edit it down further and add photos and stuff. Well.. Life is getting busy and who knows if i'll be able to get to it so here it is. It's currently "unpublished" on youtube so it's only discoverable through this thread. Hope it can help some folks in the market. Please provide constructive feedback so I can edit it with those taken into account - as best as i can at least...

Thank you for putting this together. There's always work on the forum's about some USDM coupe in the 2002-2005 era, any truth to that?

Thank you for putting this together. There's always work on the forum's about some USDM coupe in the 2002-2005 era, any truth to that?

I have zero personal knowledge about production numbers, I just used the data from the tables from the second link in my first post in this thread.

Pretty sure that is a NSX legend and not true. Kind of like the one where all 2002+ US 6-speed cars have the same engines as the NSX-R. Coupes weren't even offered as a special order option at Acura dealers starting in 2002. I believe the reason may have been revised crash standards that would have required additional (expensive) testing for a model that only sold 25 units between 1997 and 2001.

To me what's really amazing is that after making over 3000 the first year, they continued to make the car even when the sales were tiny. For example, mine is one of only 166 made in 2001!

We are very lucky they kept making this car as long as they did.

Kinda surprised they didn't try something dramatic, like make the aftermarket supercharger standard. Wasn't that an "approved" mod when dealer-installed?

To me what's really amazing is that after making over 3000 the first year, they continued to make the car even when the sales were tiny. For example, mine is one of only 166 made in 2001!

We are very lucky they kept making this car as long as they did.

Kinda surprised they didn't try something dramatic, like make the aftermarket supercharger standard. Wasn't that an "approved" mod when dealer-installed?
They were. The Gen 1 CTSC was Honda-approved and most of them were installed at the dealer when the car was brand new.

Believe it or not, Honda would have happily kept making the NSX, but it was ultimately revised FMVSS/NHTSA crash standards that finally killed the car. Honda had been able to keep the original chassis current with the standard over the years by making small changes. For example, the door intrusion beam on the 1994 is much more robust than the early cars. However, for the 2006 model year, the government standard changed enough so that Honda would have had to pretty heavily revise the underlying monocoque and body lines to comply. Considering the small sales volume, they didn't want to spend the money.

It's sad because there was a fairly well-developed NA3 in the works at the time. It was using a 3.5L J-series engine with twin turbos and would have resembled the HSC concept car, but largely kept the legacy NSX chassis for cost control. Between the new crash standard and Honda's turn away from sports cars into its "Earth Dreams" phase, that was the end of the Gen1 NSX.

EDIT: For those who really want to go into the weeds, IMHO the two primary regs that likely killed the car are:

FMVSS No. 214, “Side impact protection”; and
FMVSS No. 216 "Roof crush resistance"

Both of these standards changed drastically starting in 2005, as a result of the
Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A
Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) that was passed by congress that year. The Act required the NHTSA to revise the FMVSS safety rules to "enhance" vehicle occupant protection.

For FMVSS 214, the NHTSA revised the reg to add a "side pole" crash test, where the chassis was crashed into a rigid pole (simulating a light post or tree) at a 75 degree angle and 20 mph. It also added a "deformable barrier" impact test to simulate a car hitting the side of the vehicle in a "T-bone" style collision. In both tests, maximum acceptable crush distances were implemented. In addition to the new tests, the agency also mandated the inclusion of a side-curtain and pelvic/thorax airbag system for all vehicles under 6,000 lbs GVWR.

For FMVSS 216, it was simpler. Here, the roof crush standard had been 1.5 times the car's unloaded weight since 1973, when the law was passed. The update raised the standard to 3 times the weight, to account for all the things people put in cars and the general increase in obesity in the U.S. population since 1973.

The changes were proposed by the NHTSA in August 2005 and generally made effective for all cars sold in the 2009 model year (which would include some late 2007 and 2008 production for certain manufacturers). Just look at those changes and you can imagine what Honda thought. No way could the get the NSX to meet those standards in just 1-2 years without spending a LOT of money. Interestingly, Honda did eventually spend the money--> the NC1 exceeded all of these new standards. So it can be done, but it just costs $$$$$.

Last edited:
Yep, My car is one of only 10 Red on Black 2001's! Peak street NSX they ever made and they only made 10?!? No wonder I had such a hard time finding one.

Chris: Better check the chart before editing the video :). I think even you got it wrong, probably because you looked at the production charts, which have the colors right but still have the NA1/NA2 wrong?!? Inexperienced viewers will definitely become confused, and I think they're the ones the video is for. I only watched the first few minutes, but several references to NA1 keying to the year instead of the engine displacement. Also a statement about the Auto being unchanged for 15 years. Sorry to hear you're so busy with things and I hope you can find time to enjoy the NSX soon.

Last edited:
Anyone have a record of VIN numbers for the first GEN. I have started a register with the 1st GEN VIN's that I have not shared but would like to include all and then track and see where those cars are now.

I ran a registry for another car model in my younger days and would love to do that with the NSX.

Anyone have a record of VIN numbers for the first GEN. I have started a register with the 1st GEN VIN's that I have not shared but would like to include all and then track and see where those cars are now.

I ran a registry for another car model in my younger days and would love to do that with the NSX.
I'm happy to make you a NSX Prime "Librarian" and you can manage that resource!

Once you guys have the chart in final form, LMK and I'll put it in the resource.
I’m done working on it unless someone has corrections or suggestions. Seems like it covers all the important changes year-to-year so folks have the info to choose what years most appeal to them.

I’m done working on it unless someone has corrections or suggestions. Seems like it covers all the important changes year-to-year so folks have the info to choose what years most appeal to them.
Send it to me via PM and I'll post it in the Library. Who wants to be the librarian in charge of updating editing it? You get a cool badge!! :D

Send it to me via PM and I'll post it in the Library. Who wants to be the librarian in charge of updating editing it? You get a cool badge!! :D
I can do that.

What format do you want? I’ve been posting jpg screenshot, but could also send pdf and even the excel file for folks that want to make different versions.

Back