• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TECH7042's NEW build

Amazing...Nice attention to detail making your own bolts.

Update

Spent some time working on the car. Got everything put back together and added some parts. Found this 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Hand pride exhaust for sale on the marketplace and jumped on it.

Installed it along with some test pipes. Sounds like the car should now.

Assembled pics:

The wet sand and buff got pushed back until this coming Friday, but it looks amazing even without it. In the sun, the paint and color really pops. Glossy bright red with a hint of orange is the only way to describe it. After the finalization of the paint process, I will install the door inserts and it will be complete.

Out of the blue, my PGM-FI main relay took a crap. Instead of replacing it with a new part that is known to go bad, I decided to make my own “updated” main relay using newer components that are more reliable. To accomplish this, I gutted the existing failed main relay and used the male connectors (8p C482 and 4p C483) to make a serviceable plug and play relay that uses two compact type Denso relays.

Plugged it in and tested inputs and outputs at all pinouts during the 4 key cycles (0,I,II, and cranking), Everything works the way an original main relay would, but the thing that goes bad (the circuit board) has been eliminated. This makes for a cheaper assembly that is more reliable, and serviceable. If in the future, my modified main relay fails, all I would have to replace is one or both of the compact relays which are way cheaper than a brand new Mitsuba main relay.

Stay tuned.

- - - Updated - - -

My Guts are bubbly with excitement. How you liking the targa over the coupe xavi?

When I got it, hated it. But now. . .slowly beginning to love it!

Last edited:
hey there you might have a viable sell-able part if your "serviceable" main relay holds up...let us know.

Thats pretty cool reverse engineering. I like it.

You're right the circuit board vibration causes the solder joints to go bad, but all you have to do is melt the solder and you should be good with your old one for a while longer.
By the way, you're old Main Relay is : 39th week, 1994 and 42nd week, 1994. So you're car is probably a 1994 by my best guess, but you have a targa top???.

Last edited:
Xavier, really nice work man. Looking forward to seeing your car at one of the upcoming meets.

Are these fasteners also coated in the same type of coating as the OEM ones?

I was wondering this because if you use steel bolts on a aluminum chassis you will experience electrolysis on your panels rather quickly.

Other than that, very nice rebuild :)

I was going to raise the same question based on bad experience \ ignorance. I did a major swap out for all the bracket bolts in the front bay to nice new fastners. When going through some recent maintannce I have spent hours trying to release these as they have reacted and effectively siezed. Now reverted to OEM.

Hope they are coated and if they are, can you share where purchased

refresh detail looks great, nice work

hey there you might have a viable sell-able part if your "serviceable" main relay holds up...let us know.

I will definitely put the relay into production if there is a demand. It will definitely hold up; and with 4 of the 8 pins of the 8 pin connector deleted, I will even be able to add options to it as well.

Thats pretty cool reverse engineering. I like it.

You're right the circuit board vibration causes the solder joints to go bad, but all you have to do is melt the solder and you should be good with your old one for a while longer.
By the way, you're old Main Relay is : 39th week, 1994 and 42nd week, 1994. So you're car is probably a 1994 by my best guess, but you have a targa top???.

Wow, I don't know how you were able to decipher the year and week that the relay was made, but that's awesome. Please share how you were able to determine that, I would be interested to know. Maybe the 94 relay is the same P/N as a 95, as I do have a targa.

That's it. I'm getting mine repainted.

Someday. ;)

Go for it! you wont regret it! :biggrin:

car looks great. will thee be matchign 2002+ side skirt door caps coming ?

Yup. They have already been painted and just waiting for the wet sand and buff to install them.

Xavier, really nice work man. Looking forward to seeing your car at one of the upcoming meets.

Thanks bro! You will definitely see this rolling around this spring/summer.

I was going to raise the same question based on bad experience \ ignorance. I did a major swap out for all the bracket bolts in the front bay to nice new fastners. When going through some recent maintannce I have spent hours trying to release these as they have reacted and effectively siezed. Now reverted to OEM.

Hope they are coated and if they are, can you share where purchased

refresh detail looks great, nice work

Yup, the fasteners are not raw steel. They are coated and finished with a zinc finish to protect against the elements and seizing. I suppose as a safety measure, I could have applied anti seize to them; but I'm pretty confident that they'll be alright. Got them in bulk from Fastenal.

Your main relay refresh in my opinion is about as significant as Hugabuga's Window Regulator fix and RDX injectors mod.

Please share the wiring diagram with the community! It looks extremely easy to replicate and is something we'll ALL eventually need. Especially when parts become more scarce!

-UPDATE-

The NSX is completely back together now. The wet sand and buff has been completed and the paint process is now finalized. The finish of the paint is smooth as silk and looks like glass. I’m almost scared for when it needs its first wash. :frown: I am extremely happy with the outcome and it was well worth the time put in. A buddy of mine (FD3SNSX) took these pictures of the car this morning. Enjoy.

Now that the exterior is done, I can move onto what I consider to be the fun stuff… stay tuned, prime!

Looks fantastic. Tae'a photography skills have come a long way from the days of him taking photos of his own car :)

Car looks sick!!!! Maybe its just the pics, but it looks like you may need to sand the inside of that 02+ door piece down a bit. Looks like its sits too high, I had to sand mine down a lot...

Great finish and the car has a great stance too .... Oh to have smooth Tarmac ... That stance in the UK would kill the floor pan on its first outing ....

Back