• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

McLaren 12C test drive

+1000000 it is a wonderful time to like cars. IMO McClaren, Porche and Pagani have stolen the Thunder from Ferrari these days. The 458 and 458 Special are beasts and the F12 for a front engine car is epic but they lack a certain characteristic that makes the P1, Hyura and even the 918 epic. Not a fan of the LaFerrari. If I had the resources right now I would pick the 12C or 650S over the 458 or 458 Special. Lamborghini on the other hand have something special with the Aventador and Huracan. For the first time ever Lamborghini has outfitted a car with a dual clutch transmission (Huracan)

I hate to say this, but the LaFerrari may turn out to be the most visceral experience of them all, never mind the fastest. I would not discount that car by any means.

And don't forget koenigsegg plays here too. And is very worthy.

So it seems we have another NSX owner who also has a McLaren, look what dropped by our shop the other day to pickup one of our CF wheels :)

After seeing his modded car, I'm thinking about letting the R8 go for one of these, how are the used market prices on these cars right now? Do you think one can be had for $170k range?

here's a shot of the bad boy:

You can get one for $170. They are out there. We had one with like 500 miles sell for between 190 and 200.

They fall apart after 30k miles. McLaren is still learning how to make dependable road cars (heck, Ferrari has been making road cars for decades and they still haven't figured it out). Your R8 will last a lot longer.

Really? Damn. Where did you find out about that and what kinda of problems?

Really? Damn. Where did you find out about that and what kinda of problems?

Knew someone who daily'd it for two years. It got a rattle and a steering vibration that the dealership simply could not fix.

^hmmm, how many of these cars will hit 30k miles!

heck my NSX has barely hit half that....well it's a toss-up for me between a 458 or McLaren, both are nice cars, planning to go for a drive in one soon and will decide after that :)

FWIW, the P11 platform (namely the 12C, and now 650S) had PP-Xs (production prototypes) log 100's of 1,000's of miles across the world, namely to "test" the durability of the powertrain+drivetrain and chassis/CF-monotub. In-essence, it's really a simple model (composite monocoque with front/rear alloy crash-structures bolted on) with very complex systems (active aero, hydraulic suspension, precog transmission, etc).

So, ~$170k can get you into an '12 model-year 12C Coupe with average/moderate miles and light/modest options and specs. With that said, for the 12C there are some "must have" options (IMHO) which befit such a vehicle.

There are pros/cons with McLaren ownership, much like any other comparable marque. There is a limited dealership pool (for post-sales support and service), manufacturer scheduled servicing is priced at a premium but not exorbitant, purchasing a pre-owned example outside of a dealer will not allow for the extended factory warranty (still in the works) which gives peace-of-mind and may help with residuals, replacement and repair (of parts and systems) is very expensive, but general running costs are quite manageable.

You guys make some excellent points above! I think when you get into this league of cars these are all the associated "baggage" you have to deal with.

The R8 in this sense is not really an exotic and in some ways make the appeal of ownership that much better.

I do love F-cars and McLaren but not sure I want to deal with these hassles just yet considering I hardly have time to drive or enjoy these cars.

I think when you get into this league of cars these are all the associated "baggage" you have to deal with.

yes indeed. more than you realize. McLaren Newport has a way to open your pocket. Ron Dennis is having his ways with you and there is little you can do about it but pray he'll be merciful to all his followers.

the demo car McLaren bought out to the track has 20K+ miles but its all beat up from tracking by different people. I drove his 12C and its a binary car. Good for show off at C&C but needs a BIG track to raise your senses.

Last edited:
^ you can use the same logic to argue for buying a miata since the nsx has much higher limits that need a bigger track and more talent to explore its limits.

I say drive the 12C and decide from there if you want it over your R8.

Over the years, as I realize I can do less and less track time per year but can afford to pay for better quality in cars, tracks, maintenance, I find I love the NSX more. It's the sweet spot "Goldilocks" for my skills and talent. I was speaking to a 12C owner/friend and expressed that the biggest reason I didn't like the car was my hesitance to drive that car to its limits. It's certainly an awesome car but mentally... I'm far from being in the mindset to test my limits in that car even if I did own one. Maybe in 5yrs or so I'll buy one.

I also bought the BRZ thinking i'd have more fun with it. The reality is... it's not challenging enough. It's almost too compliant (and slow) but I might still be faster in that car than the NSX. The NSX is just more challenging and rewarding when you get it right.

Can't explain it better really...

^ you can use the same logic to argue for buying a miata since the nsx has much higher limits that need a bigger track and more talent to explore its limits..

my 2100 lbs. Miata 94 R was lots of fun. I should have kept it. My wife's 1999 Miata sure is not.
thats why lightweight works for you at all speed. you know that. besides too much hp you'll run out of road in a hurry then you have to shut it down so the cops won't get you. besides, top driving skills doesn't happen overnite.

due to the higher limit of the NSX, we have not had any off road accident of all the club drives Les put on in the last few years.....its amazing cuz there are so many of us and we go fast but not that fast to make the 6 o'clock news.

I asked XX to put me in his will cuz no body in his family knows how to drive his 12C with all the knobs and buttons you have to push.:biggrin:

Can't explain it better really...

I think it has a lot to do with physics.

Last edited:
wow so mj bought a mc-12......hmmmm

Jackson.....

I like to check in this thread once in a while. My 2 cents:

1. A R8 is not in the same league as the F458/12C.

2. The Gallardo looks great, sounds great but is slow compared to my beloved 12C.

3. The ONLY worth competitor is the F458. It can be purchased for low 200's. So I would look at that before "settling" on a 12C for the lower price. It's a great car for short drives and for all the emotional aspects but I didn't care for the front end styling, the interior of the steering feel.

Finally: I grew up watching Senna and Prost. Those wonderful years of F1 left an impression in my juvenile mind. Senna drove a McLaren Honda. I have one of each Marque in my garage. That puts a big smile on my face.

Next year McLaren will have Honda motors again. That gives me some hope that both Marques can return to their glory years!!

Jackson.....

He has a McLaren:eek: what kinda of animal is that?

- - - Updated - - -

2. The Gallardo looks great, sounds great but is slow compared to my beloved 12C.

3. The ONLY worth competitor is the F458. It can be purchased for low 200's. So I would look at that before "settling" on a 12C for the lower price. It's a great car for short drives and for all the emotional aspects but I didn't care for the front end styling, the interior of the steering feel.

Finally: I grew up watching Senna and Prost. Those wonderful years of F1 left an impression in my juvenile mind. Senna drove a McLaren Honda. I have one of each Marque in my garage. That puts a big smile on my face.

Next year McLaren will have Honda motors again. That gives me some hope that both Marques can return to their glory years!!

somebody knows their $hit!........as he should:wink: and keep smiling:smile:

Agreed on all 3 points Ritesh!

The R8 is definitely not in the same league as the 458/12C. I have not driven the 12C but I do drive the 458 quite regularly around town to run errands and the feeling is no comparison to the R8.

I still think my next car will be a 458 over the 12C but when I see those sexy doors open on the 12C it's hard to resist that car as well.

Life is good when these are the decisions one has to face :)

Back