• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sos oil cooler relocation

Sorry... I'm going to probably be asking a series of questions within the next month.

I currently have the SOS oil cooler and think i will need to relocate it with a turbo install, if the turbo doesn't touch it will be so close and the cooler will probably warm the oil instead with the heat from the turbo.

this is what it looks like.

assy_450.jpg under_400.jpg

I was thinking that perhaps removing the heat shield under the trunk as no doubt it would be in the way anyway and require trimming which i want to keep original so was thinking perhaps applying some thermal barrier and within this recess some how relocate to here using factory bolts for the bracket.

I considered a side intake location however this would restrict flow to the air filter on the turbo so i ruled that one out.

My resevation would be, is there going to be much heat from the exhaust system? it's a short system as it will be from a turbo to a center exit so the entire other side will be free to use. However oil feed runs to the cooler may be long and will start to get messy, that being said the exhaust system is very small so we do have room to play with.

Does the oil feed run length matter?
Does the height of the cooler matter? (currently both feed and return sit higher than the filter which the feeds come from and to.)
I know the turbo oil return must be higher than entry point of the sump return but does this apply for the cooler?

I'm guessing i will need longer oil lines, anyone know what size lines these kits use?

If anyone has any other suggestions for relocation please do suggest.

I'm sure there must be lost of guys out there with oil coolers? what are your setups?

I considered a side intake location however this would restrict flow to the air filter on the turbo so i ruled that one out.

I have my cooler behind the side intake. So far so good.

I have my cooler behind the side intake. So far so good.

That's interesting, how did you install the cooler there?

And your turbo filter sits up behind the oil filter in the fender?

I did look at different coolers and i can pick one up cheap enough as it would only be a small one.

That's interesting, how did you install the cooler there?

And your turbo filter sits up behind the oil filter in the fender?

I did look at different coolers and i can pick one up cheap enough as it would only be a small one.

I got a long and narrow cooler that fits right inside the side vents. Both cooler and air filter are hidden inside the fender liner.

Last edited:
Back