• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel filter and pressure gauge installation

So I was going to install my fuel pressure gauge and the sensor is a Denso with a threaded end. The best spot I found was a threaded bolt on top of the filter. This is a spot in the manual that's used for a pressure gauge. But after 3 hours on the Internet, I can't find an adaptor that can make this conversion for me. The threaded part on the Denso is too large to thread in. Anyone know where I can get such an adaptor? The bolt seems to have been an M6, the thread on the sensor is 1/8" NPT.

ea73a482a3ed16429aab5e2b6874b21f_zps4919d545.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is the bolt:

aa628a6b782d08b1314bd6cfeda17ac3_zpsd07f5f72.jpg

Russell makes a 12mm banjo bolt with the correct 1/8" threaded port on top that you screw your sensor into. Part number 640700. It comes with the crush washers and can be bought from eBay from Summit Racing for like $11 and others even cheaper. The link below is $8.32 with free shipping. I used Teflon tape on mine (the NPT threads, not the crush washers or the banjo bolt).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171317281549

Last edited:
Russell makes a 12mm banjo bolt with the correct 1/8" threaded port on top that you screw your sensor into. Part number 640700. It comes with the crush washers and can be bought from eBay from Summit Racing for like $11 and others even cheaper. The link below is $8.32 with free shipping. I used Teflon tape on mine (the NPT threads, not the crush washers or the banjo bolt).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171317281549

The bolt in the ebay is m12x1.25 threads. I'm not sure what the nsx filter one is but Dave mentioned it's m6?

Use the Bolt listed above part no. 640700

It will look like this when installed

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 405

Thanks guys but has the filter changed over the years? The bolt I removed from the top is small. I went to Home Depot and it was an M6 in their size trial thingie. It is finitely smaller than the sensor male fitting. That M12 looks a little big.

- - - Updated - - -

Or did I not pull off enough bolts? See how on the picture I posted there are two bolts? One higher up in the photo and one lower down? I undid the one lower down but perhaps the part under it unscrews as well?

Last edited:
Thanks guys but has the filter changed over the years? The bolt I removed from the top is small. I went to Home Depot and it was an M6 in their size trial thingie. It is finitely smaller than the sensor male fitting. That M12 looks a little big.

- - - Updated - - -

Or did I not pull off enough bolts? See how on the picture I posted there are two bolts? One higher up in the photo and one lower down? I undid the one lower down but perhaps the part under it unscrews as well?

You need to remove the entire banjo bolt and replace with the new unit, the little bolt is a service port for a M6 gauge fitting that is really hard to find and would require an additional adapter to work with the 1/8" NPT sensor you have.

Dave

I see. OK. So the eBay part is good? I was a little confused as to what you meant by "the part above"

I see. OK. So the eBay part is good? I was a little confused as to what you meant by "the part above"

Yeah. I'll be picking one up too since it's on my list of things to do in a month.

Ddozier, I was under the impression to not use teflon tape on fuel lines, or is that just AN fittings you don't use teflon tape because of the tapered aspect of them.

In this situation would you use teflon tape on all fittings when putting the adapter in the filter and also the sensor on the adapter? Adapter meaning banjo bolt.

Yeah. I'll be picking one up too since it's on my list of things to do in a month.

Ddozier, I was under the impression to not use teflon tape on fuel lines, or is that just AN fittings you don't use teflon tape because of the tapered aspect of them.

In this situation would you use teflon tape on all fittings when putting the adapter in the filter and also the sensor on the adapter? Adapter meaning banjo bolt.

On any NPT fitting you have to use some type of thread sealer, either tape or paste. On the other threads of the Banjo bolt going into the fuel filter it will come with 2 crush washers and that type of fitting does not get any type of sealer. AN fittings do not use any type of sealer either as it is a tapered fitting and the two surfaces of the taper act as the seal, adding any type of tape or paste to an AN fitting will make them leak.

Dave

My gauge actually came with an adaptor but because I didn't pull off the whole banjo bolt but just the top bolt, I thought it didn't fit. I have to try it again and see if it fits. I have a few questions:

1) how much fuel will come out and spill if I undo the whole bolt?

2) I have no crush washers. I guess I need them somewhere do I get them from? Do standard auto parts stores have them? Sorry I know this is a total newb question. I've only bought them for oil plugs.

3) I noticed the adaptor supplied only turns 4-5 turns then gets super tight on the sensors theraded end. I thought it was a mistake and they supplied the wrong thread size. Now reading what Stephen wrote, the taper thing makes sense. So should I not worry that it starts to get tight?

4) last unrelated question, where do you tap for oil pressure? What should I buy for that as I will do that this weekend too?

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it.

1) i've done this before a bit of fuel will piss out, be prepared but not huge amounts, i guess don't attempt straight after a drive as it may still be pressurized.

2) you will need crush washers, it may leak without especially under pressure.

3) you could try some Plumbers tape or Honda Bond on the thread.

4) you could use this and you can reach the one on the front bank from the engine bay, reach down by the coolant tank, just below the heads, you can feel it. http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...cts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/feed_pressure_adaptor/ or because you track your car do you have a aftermarket oil cooler? some sandwich plates have a 1/8" fitting on the side.

Perfect. Thanks Jaffaz. That looks like just the adaptor for oil pressure. And no I'm using the factory oil cooler so far. I'm in yen northeast with moderate temps I've never really had any heat issues of any sort. But I will think about that upgrade.

For oil temp, it's best to weld a bung onto the pan, right?

Thanks angus. Won't use any tape. Got the adaptor from eBay via link above. Now I need to figure out where to get oil pressure and temp.

Back