• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stoptech Caliper Discoloration at Track Temps

Anyone here running the standard (painted) ST40 calipers on track and noticing discoloration?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new set in yellow and was advised by Stoptech to go with the trophy sport kit if the car is expected to see track use because of it's clear anodized resiliency to high temps.

I intend to use the car on both street and track, so it won't be a dedicated track tool. I figured the yellow calipers would "pop" against the berlina black, but am concerned they won't look good after a few trips to the track.

Interested in any advice you can provide.

The temp alone is not the problem,its the brake dust+temp,and add occasional H20 that will patina any caliper....you just need to clean them quickly after each event.

Thanks Doc. What color Stoptechs are you running? Any issues using brake cleaners that damage the paint or Stoptech logo?

I guess I'm leaning towards the (better? / more expensive) trophy sport kit at the moment, although I know it won't have the same look. Am I way off here?

Depends how badly you want the color and how fast you are on track. I like the trophy look better, easier to keep it looking good and clean. My fiances red calipers are discoloring and brake fluid eats away the color as well as brake clean over time.

I use brembo indy (billet) calipers.I just use regular detergent ,nothing fancy.

And if anyone here is an expert on maintaining yellow highlights on a black NSX that's tracked, docjohn is your guy.

I even discolored my OEM bronze calipers. They turned burnt orange.

lol.......I could give my scalp yellow highlights:redface:

Mine are still red after five years of tracking. I worried more about high water & oil temp at the track.

Back