• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone here have considered or have traded NSX for GTR? Just curious

In california GTRs are everywhere but NSXs are still rare. I had opportunity to buy GTR or 2 but I decided against it and now I am glad I didn't (have you seen prices of GTRs? dropping!!)

I'm just curious but since you have been looking for over two years on Prime for a "sub-$20k" NSX ("salvage ok"), then how is it you are willing to spend considerably more for a faster depreciating GTR?

I'm just curious but since you have been looking for over two years on Prime for a "sub-$20k" NSX ("salvage ok"), then how is it you are willing to spend considerably more for a faster depreciating GTR?

I haven't been looking for 2 years for sub 20k. I just couldn't edit ad. I already had 3 NSXs since then lol

I have strongly considered a GTR for the past few years. I thought about it when i bought my Viper, and also thought about it when I bought the NSX. Everytime I drive it it just doesn't do anything for me. Sure its fast, but just something about it. DCT gets boring, and it feels heavy. I can see the potential when going around a track and canyons - I am sure I will think different if I were to really take it out and appreciate what it can do. I plan on getting one some day..but waiting till I have kids first since it has back seats ;).

I am in So cal too, and I see them a lot. NSX is a completely different car. It is a true exotic - sleek, beautiful, reliable, and just an amazing experience driving with the top off by the beach. The lack of power does get frustrating, even with the CTSC. That truly is the only thing its lacking in my opinion.

The GTR has some amazing attributes, but I'm sorry the platform is just so blase'. I mean it's a Nissan Altima at heart with lots of very nice bits stuffed in it. I may consider the next Gen. NSX as an addition to my existing NSX, but I don't see a Nissan in my future.

I agree that they're all over the place in CA, but i haven't seen the prices dropping drastically at all. If anything, they seem to have stabilized quite a bit after the initial drops a couple of years ago.

That said, I did consider picking one up for about an hour before my better half convinced me I was being an idiot and should get off of craigslist for the night :)

The GTR has some amazing attributes, but I'm sorry the platform is just so blase'. I mean it's a Nissan Altima at heart with lots of very nice bits stuffed in it. I may consider the next Gen. NSX as an addition to my existing NSX, but I don't see a Nissan in my future.

Ummm.... Not even close. It was engineered from the ground up to dominate, well, pretty much everything, albeit at a lower price point than the exotics. Nissan succeeded in spades (although the latter years MSRP has crept into exotic territory). The GTR is blisteringly fast in a straight line and even more amazing on the track in capable hands. Drop $5k on modifications and you can run high 9's/low 10's all day long. Were concessions made? Yep... in the interior. Only thing it has in common with the Altima (or any other Nissan) is the badge.

With that being said, I did the opposite... I sold my '12 GTR (full bolt-on E85 - 605whp, 640wlb/ft, 9.98 in the 1/4 mile) and bought a '92 NSX (Ben Shafer's old car - rebuilt from ground up). I loved the GTR, but it is, well, robotic, for a lack of a better term. The electronics in the car are so smart, the AWD so effective, and the DCT so quick, that you really just have to plant your right foot and hang on. The DCT is amazing, but gets boring.

Last edited:
Two completely different types of cars - analog vs digital driving experience.

I've driven a GT-R before and yes it's incredibly fast and clever, but I can see how previous owners got bored of it quickly. I don't drive for lap times, I drive for the experience so from that respect I would never trade my NSX for a GT-R.

That said, I live in the Northeast and would love to have a used GT-R as a year-round daily driver once they depreciate a bit more. A guy at my office does just that (GT-R winter daily, ZR1 summer daily).

Drove one, loved it, got back in the NSX, top off, stickshift in my hand, supercharger behind my head... couldn't do it. Glad I didn't.

Test drove an R8.... much more tempting... better car honestly... still couldn't do it. Just realized I need another 100HP and I will forget the R8. If I had to daily the car... R8, hands down, would never look back. NSX is more special for a toy.

I've driven two, one stock and one heavily modded .... great to punch it but just
lacked the vibe / feeling in the cockpit. I do not see one ever in my future. Wouldn't
mind an older one though ...

I've had them park next to me a few times and that is the moment when I see them
side by side and it just puts everything in check, NO WAY! :)

GTR prices dropped even faster when the NSX 2.0 was announced with AWD.

I saw 3 sell on ebay for following prices (09 with 42k for $48.5 with free shipping, 10 with 52k for $52, 09 with 42k for 50k with a ton of mods). This just happened within last week. sub 50? That is crazy when same cars were selling in mid to high 60s just 3 month ago.

Thought about it long and hard before I bought my NSX. Bottom line: I could've afforded the car, couldn't have afforded the maintenance.

Take a look at what OEM/Aftermarket costs are for trans fluid, and pads/rotors. Add to that suggested drain intervals for the trans of roughly ~30k miles, and it painted a picture that just really turned me off of the GT-R.

10255349_10201965131552977_3266874946824344560_n.jpg

Back