• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lamborghini To Make Repalcement NSX Before Honda

Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai, Cadillac, etc. all give us good sportscars. None of them are sportscar companies.

They make passable and sale-able sports cars but how many of them are special like the NSX? How many of them were able to extract 120hp/liter like the S2000? Honda made and still makes some of, if not the best FF sporty cars ever also.

And to answer your question, I think the current Accord coupes looks the best and is a great value when compared to similar offerings from Altima, IS coupe, Genesis coupe, G/Q coupe, or whatever coupe currently from a manufacturer in the same weight and power class. I like the new TLX and would choose that sedan over most personally. I don't think they make subpar products. I just think they are stubborn with their platforms, but still very efficient on an overall status. If I was not choosing a sports car and just a sedan, I really wouldn't care if the front wheels or rear wheels were powered.

910PS Hybrid Lamborghini Asterion LPI910-4 - Official

www.dpccars.com/gallery/index.php/910PS-Hybrid-Lamborghini-Asterion-LPI910-4---Official

PRESS RELEASE

Lamborghini Asterion LPI 910-4 unveiled at the 2014 Paris Mondial de l'Automobile

Pioneering a new vision of mobility: First Lamborghini Plug-in Hybrid technology demonstrator

· First plug-in hybrid (PHEV) technology demonstrator providing a new Lamborghini cruising experience with superior power, daily drivability and comfort
· Hybrid system power: V10 5,2 l naturally aspirated engine combined with three electric motors delivers a total power of 669 kW/910 hp, enough for acceleration of 0-100 km/h in 3.0 s and a top speed of 320 km/h
· CO2 emissions of 98 g/km and 50 km pure electric range
· Breakthrough technological architecture in an innovative carbon fiber monocoque with a body designed in a new, unexpected and sensual way, respecting Lamborghini heritage

Paris, 1 October 2014 - Automobili Lamborghini unveils its first plug-in hybrid (PHEV) technology demonstrator, the Lamborghini Asterion LPI 910-4, making its world debut at the 2014 Paris Mondial de l'Automobile. Clearly a Lamborghini, Asterion is a conceptual car housing a plug-in hybrid powertrain designed to Lamborghini objectives: The Asterion defines a solution to significantly reducing CO2 emissions through technologies available today, guaranteeing the unique Lamborghini driving feel with a smooth and reactive driveability and with superior power, including an exceptional pure electric range of 50 km.

Conceived and developed entirely in-house by Lamborghini, the Asterion LPI 910-4 takes the design and cutting-edge engineering expertise found in the current Lamborghini product range, adding innovative hybrid technology, creating thus a Lamborghini that is clearly different – with a new, unexpected and sensual design, in line with the technical characteristics of the car – but yet is still unmistakeably a Lamborghini.

The Rationale

Asterion is a technology demonstrator representing a Lamborghini model that could be realistically produced today, using technologies currently available and drawing on Lamborghini's own expertise.

Lamborghini is always looking ahead, investing in new technologies and setting new benchmarks, delivering the unexpected," says Stephan Winkelmann, President and CEO of Automobili Lamborghini.

"Lamborghini continues to focus on weight reduction as a means to reducing CO2, for example through the investment in carbon fiber engineering, which also contributes to our quest for the best super sports car handling and performance. To significantly reduce emissions on a car in this moment however, plug-in electrification is the best option for us, because for Lamborghini such a car must still provide a truly emotional driving experience. In the Asterion this is guaranteed through a naturally aspirated engine that is combined with PHEV technology, which not only offers exceptionally low CO2 emissions of 98 g/km, but a practical pure electric driving range of 50 km.

The Asterion LPI 910-4 is a true Lamborghini: emotional, with a stunning design, powerful, yet conceived more for comfortable luxury daily cruising than for ultimate track performance."

The Plug-in Hybrid solution and Performance

For the Lamborghini Asterion LPI 910-4, a PHEV solution is the clear Lamborghini choice. The Asterion provides all-important urban driving under purely electric power, a significant range of 50 km for the car when powered only by battery energy, and the emotion and power of a naturally aspirated Lamborghini engine for a unique driving experience.

Fuel consumption is 4,12 l/100 km combined cycle (NEDC). The weight of the hybrid technology is 250 kg. The Asterion's objective of significantly reducing C02 emissions, while maintaining an engaging and emotional Lamborghini cruising experience, is achieved with exceptional CO2 emissions of 98 g/km.

Based on a monocoque made entirely of carbon fibre, a V10 5.2 liter FSI engine is located longitudinally as a mid-engine, as in Lamborghini super sports cars. The extremely fast shifting 7-speed dual-clutch transmission is located behind the engine at the rear transaxle. The housing of the powerful lithium battery is placed longways in the central tunnel area, normally reserved for the transmission. This allows for better balance of the car and also protects the battery area in case of lateral crash impact.

The Asterion's hybrid architecture is realized with an electric motor incorporating an integrated starter motor and generator (ISG) which is placed between the V10 engine and the double clutch gearbox, and two electric motors at the front axle fed by the ISG power with a torque vectoring function. This system allows the Asterion two different driving modes: in hybrid mode it is combining the V10 engine with the three electric motors guaranteeing a permanent four-wheel drive without being dependent on the battery's state of charge. In pure electric drive mode only the two electric motors in the front are used.

The V10 5.2 l longitudinally-placed, naturally aspirated mid-engine provides a maximum power output of 449 kW (610 hp) with 560 Nm of maximum torque available. Combined with the three electric motors providing a further 220 kW (300 hp), total hybrid power is achievable to a maximum of 669 kW (910 hp). The combined action of the two propulsion systems ensures an exceptional dynamic impulse: acceleration of 0-100 km/h takes place in 3.0 seconds. With a top hybrid/combined speed of 320 km/h the Asterion LPI 910-4 also reaches up to 125 km/h under pure electric power. More importantly for city driving the Asterion has a pure electric range of 50 km, putting it top of the class for hybrid super sports cars.

The new Inspiration for Design

The Exterior Design

The Blue Elektra glittered colour of the Asterion as well as the new design language reflect the technological concept behind the car.

Designed by Lamborghini Centro Stile, the Asterion contains the unmistakeable Lamborghini DNA and heritage and yet is clearly different from the existing Lamborghini super sports car models. The Asterion touches new boundaries, with an innovative and unexpected design language which explores curves and sensuality, smooth transitions from panel to panel, and few sharp edges. The result is a pure, essential design.

The Asterion, like all Lamborghini cars, has clearly defined lines, separating flat planes from the side of the car and distinguishing between panels. Light and shadow accentuate the volumes of the car, highlighting the muscularity of Asterion yet giving the car a more slender elegance.

The front end of the car is produced as a single component, giving the Asterion a dynamic look, emphasised through the positioning of its four 'eyes with eyebrows': headlights are realized in materials including forged carbon and titanium.

The front air intakes are characterized by an active air cooling system which uses a double layered grid for the first time in a Lamborghini: one metal and one titanium grid are embedded into each other, one containing the Y leitmotiv and the other the hexagon theme, creating a tri dimensional effect and standing out against the body colour.

The powerful rear end stands out for its shape and remarkable rear lights, including a grid covering two radiators, and a clear separation between body colour and black parts. A transparent engine cover in the rear is an aesthetic detail linking to the hybrid technology beneath, comprised of three hexagonal glasses that turn according to the engine driving mode: pure electric, hybrid power or pure thermal engine power.

The Pirelli tyres are fitted to 20" and 21" rims in carbon components, and surrounded by welldefined mudguards embedded within the body of the car that contribute to the muscular road presence of the Asterion.

The Asterion's doors are large, opening outwards and permit easy access to the car's interior. Creating an ergonomically spacious cabin for the car's occupants with a comfortable seating position, the angle of the black A Pillars gives a more vertical windshield and a higher head clearance, while visually extending the front of the car, which includes a luggage compartment. Thus the interior of the Asterion guarantees an appropriate roominess for the passengers.

A lit tricolore flag on the door reminds of Asterion's Italian heritage and a discreet Raging Bull shield is embedded in the side of the car.

The Interior Design

The clear, minimal and modern interior of the Asterion reflects the exterior design yet with a classic look and feel. Internally, the two seats are positioned higher than those in Lamborghini super sports cars, ensuring a car for comfortable every day cruising rather than extreme performance and handling.

Extensive Bianco Celaeno (ivory) and Marrone Attis (brown) leather immediately confirm the luxurious drive experience of the Asterion with an elegance from combining materials including aluminium and forged carbon fibre, as well as titanium that is also visible in the iconic three spoke steering wheel design drawn from the Miura. However, the Asterion's steering wheel also includes three buttons from which the driver selects his engine driving mode: Zero – for zero emissions/full electric; I for 'Ibrido' (hybrid); and T for 'Termico (thermal) power. Finally, a portable tablet allows the car's occupants to manage climate control and other functions including GPS and in-car infotainment.

The Name

Asterion LPI 910-4 – LP stands for 'longitudinale posteriore', the position of the conventional engine, I stands for 'ibrido', 910 for the system power and 4 for the permanent 4WD system – is the new concept of a new kind of dream car designed by Lamborghini starting from an intuition: the key for anticipating the future lies in a transformation and hybridisation of Lamborghini's own DNA.

With the Asterion, a hyper cruiser is born: a mix of elegance with the pure seduction offered by driving a Lamborghini, a car whose powerful engine meets the sustainability of hybrid technology, thanks also to its lightweight chassis in carbon fiber.

The Lamborghini Asterion is inspired by a legend: Asterion is the proper name of the mythical Minotaur, a hybrid figure and symbolic crossbreed telling a story of the powerful fusion between intellect and instinct, part man and part bull, creating an ever powerful archetype Thus, Lamborghini sticks to its tradition of giving its models a name taken from the world of bulls, but at the same time adding an innovative element, a hybrid DNA: the strength of a bull delivered by the naturally aspirated engine is combined with the human rationale delivered by the hybrid technology.

This is how Lamborghini prepares for the future with the Asterion, the first hyper cruiser.

Does Honda or Acura really need saving??? GM and Toyota, the two best selling manufacturers in the world are under heavy scrutiny right now because they sell so many cars and thus, have higher odds of recalls or bad equipment. You don't think VW/Audi and Nissan are next? Everyone in the Toyota camp says the same thing about Toyota cars are not like what they used to be like in the 90s.

I think they are comfortable at the level they are at and quite frankly, I don't really care if they are sell the most cars, because I've never been a fan of having what everyone else has. Of course everyone wants more sales, but Honda has never been number one in sales and no product that was a base seller is ever "the best overall" product.

Excerpt from a news article interviewing Senior Vice President and General Manager of Acura Mike Accavitti

"As tough auto industry assignments go, Mike Accavitti has one of the tougher challenges: turn around Acura.The Honda luxury unit feels like it has lost its direction, unsure of what it is supposed to be. But in introducing a new TLX sedan, Accavitti thinks he has the car that can point Acura in the right direction. "

Does that prove they are comfortable where they are?

I didn't say Acura needs to be saved from a financial standpoint, I meant it from a prestige standpoint. When Acura first built the NSX and Legend it was on par with Lexus. It made things that were not just reliable, effecient, and highly technical, but it was DESIRABLE. Now its NOWHERE near Lexus. ISF, RCF, GSF, LFA, LS600, are all real cars. Lexus fit and finish screams top notch luxury. And their customer service is A1. It's far differentiated from Toyota products. Acura needs a turnaround like Audi has accomplished in the last 8 years. Honda has the technical prowess to do it, but refuses to. I'm sure most enthusiast feel like this: "I didn't leave Honda, Honda left me". When I bought my 2013 GTR, I bought it because Honda had nothing to offer me. I never owned a Nissan in my life. I was in the market for a modern 100k-150k sportcar. Now that other manufacturers are producing great cars like the R8, 12C/650S, 458, 911's, Huracans, Honda has an even harder time convincing projected buyers to come to Acura. The original NSX proved to the world it had A LOT to offer compared to the competition. I seriously doubt the same can be said today. The Porsche 918 for example blows my mind. While it's not in the same class the new NSX is aiming for, it proves technology has advanced 10 fold outside of Japan. Procrastinate, and you'll come to find out it's too late.

Looks like a serious homage to the Miura. Asterion sounds cooler for sure, but I'm skeptical with the in-house Lamborghini electronics... Also the Interior is meh.

It made things that were not just reliable, effecient, and highly technical, but it was DESIRABLE. Now its NOWHERE near Lexus. ISF, RCF, GSF, LFA, LS600, are all real cars. Lexus fit and finish screams top notch luxury. And their customer service is A1. It's far differentiated from Toyota products. Acura needs a turnaround like Audi has accomplished in the last 8 years. Honda has the technical prowess to do it, but refuses to. I'm sure most enthusiast feel like this: "I didn't leave Honda, Honda left me". When I bought my 2013 GTR, I bought it because Honda had nothing to offer me. I never owned a Nissan in my life. I was in the market for a modern 100k-150k sportcar. Now that other manufacturers are producing great cars like the R8, 12C/650S, 458, 911's, Huracans, Honda has an even harder time convincing projected buyers to come to Acura. The original NSX proved to the world it had A LOT to offer compared to the competition. I seriously doubt the same can be said today. The Porsche 918 for example blows my mind. While it's not in the same class the new NSX is aiming for, it proves technology has advanced 10 fold outside of Japan. Procrastinate, and you'll come to find out it's too late.

Desirable for other people, but not me. The prestige/brand appeal with society is there but I don't usually buy a car to impress other people. I've driven the IS cars and GS. Some decent power from the V6, but they don't do much for me otherwise. If the IS350 had an interior design like the latest TSX/TL/TLX Honda touch, I'd probably take the IS350 then. Honda has Toyota beat on interior flow and design. The LS, I have no interest in. The RCF looks good, but I have no interest in a Mustang GT, M3, or Q coupe competitor. The LFA - don't get me started...

Again though this is just me. My interests are in sports cars like the NSX particularly. The closest a manufacturer has yet come to it, is the R8, but I'm not impressed with the form factor. So the new NSX or as rumor suggests a S2000 successor that is mid-engine. Both from Honda. Want me to turn my head, give me an NSX clone with contemporary updates. So far, only Honda is trying to do that...

Corbis-42-48460256_zps2e59beb9.jpg~original

OP should not have mentioned anything about the NSX just posted up a cool new car coming from Lambo. The fact that it looks 10X better than the new NSX and will cost 2X more means it is not a direct competitor. I will just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O76YdCf6tXQ

Good luck doing shoulder checks and merging into traffic.

Ha! The car does come with side mirrors as standard, which should get the job done.

<------------The Point }{ You-------------->

looks more like a modern day Maserati khamsin....

The point is mainly that it's ugly!

The rear of the Asterion is a bit bulky. Every sports cars I get into now these days have poor over-the-shoulder visibility. I reckon even the new NSX will have this flaw thanks to stringent safety regulations...

Last edited:
Simply put Honda needs to grow some balls. That's not just pertaining to the NSX. Everything that comes out of Minato today is conservative and bland. There is no concrete direction for Acura. Its simply a "nicer" Honda. Who cares how many concepts aren't officially NSX concepts. THE FACT is Honda hasn't built a replacement in 20+ years. If Mr. Soichiro was alive today maybe the company would be 180 degrees different. Why are there no competition for the M3/S5, M5/E63, LS460/750/S550? Even Hyundai has the nuts to build a full blown Luxury sedan a la Genesis/Equus to compete with the Luxury big boys. I remember when the Legend was the most sought after sedan. How many RL's have sold lately? Is the RL Sport Hybrid still "delayed?" I've always considered myself a die hard Honda guy, having owned the Prelude, Integra, TL, s2000, and current NSX. While it's possible the NSX 2.0 can become one of the greatest cars ever built, one thing Honda doesn't realize is the NSX alone can't save Acura. Just like Kobe can't save the Lakers. They need a RANGE of exciting models to bring people into the brand. This isn't the 80's and 90's anymore. Other manufacturers have progressed in reliability and technology, a previous trait/strongpoint of Honda. If I had to describe today's Honda, its a half-stepping company. The thing I've come to realize is Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini builds sports cars because that's their primary goal, Honda builds the NSX as a side project. Their main goal is to sell you a commuter. The back and forth story is too long in the tooth. I think people have too high of a hope for Acura because of being misled by Honda. People for years expected and waited for greatness from the company that builds civics and accords, not 458s and F12s.

Well said.

They make passable and sale-able sports cars but how many of them are special like the NSX? How many of them were able to extract 120hp/liter like the S2000? Honda made and still makes some of, if not the best FF sporty cars ever also.

Of what I mentioned "Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai, Cadillac, etc"

Cars that are something special:

Chevy Corvette, Z06 and ZR1. Also Camaro Z28 and ZL1.

Ford Shelby GT500, Raptor.

Dodge Viper, Hellcat.

Nissan GT-R.

Audi R8.

Mercedes SLS-AMG & Black Series.

BMW M3, M4, M5, M6.

Okay Hyundai doesn't make anything really special.

Cadillac CTS-V.

Honda/Acura: absolutely nothing special.

- - - Updated - - -

Excerpt from a news article interviewing Senior Vice President and General Manager of Acura Mike Accavitti

"As tough auto industry assignments go, Mike Accavitti has one of the tougher challenges: turn around Acura.The Honda luxury unit feels like it has lost its direction, unsure of what it is supposed to be. But in introducing a new TLX sedan, Accavitti thinks he has the car that can point Acura in the right direction. "

Does that prove they are comfortable where they are?

Exactly. Every article about Acura these days is about how the company is dying as a brand, lagging behind its competitors, or trying to pull itself out of a rut.

I didn't say Acura needs to be saved from a financial standpoint, I meant it from a prestige standpoint. When Acura first built the NSX and Legend it was on par with Lexus. It made things that were not just reliable, effecient, and highly technical, but it was DESIRABLE. Now its NOWHERE near Lexus. ISF, RCF, GSF, LFA, LS600, are all real cars. Lexus fit and finish screams top notch luxury. And their customer service is A1. It's far differentiated from Toyota products. Acura needs a turnaround like Audi has accomplished in the last 8 years. Honda has the technical prowess to do it, but refuses to. I'm sure most enthusiast feel like this: "I didn't leave Honda, Honda left me". When I bought my 2013 GTR, I bought it because Honda had nothing to offer me. I never owned a Nissan in my life. I was in the market for a modern 100k-150k sportcar. Now that other manufacturers are producing great cars like the R8, 12C/650S, 458, 911's, Huracans, Honda has an even harder time convincing projected buyers to come to Acura. The original NSX proved to the world it had A LOT to offer compared to the competition. I seriously doubt the same can be said today. Procrastinate, and you'll come to find out it's too late.

Yep! I used to be a die-hard Honda fanboy, and I just can't bear to see all of the Honda apologists say it's not that bad. I say these things not as a hater but as someone who has had his heart broken by Honda. They just stopped making anything exciting. NSX was the pinnacle of the Japanese sportscar, and even stuff like the Ferrari F50 took styling cues from it. And then there was nothing. They have demonstrated that they have the ability to make things that are great, but they don't offer anything to reflect it.

You are right, they simply can't even compare to Lexus. Even Infiniti is head and shoulders above Acura. If they could have a revival like Audi it would be incredible, but they still don't show the willingness to change.

Yep! I used to be a die-hard Honda fanboy, and I just can't bear to see all of the Honda apologists say it's not that bad. I say these things not as a hater but as someone who has had his heart broken by Honda. They just stopped making anything exciting. NSX was the pinnacle of the Japanese sportscar, and even stuff like the Ferrari F50 took styling cues from it. And then there was nothing. They have demonstrated that they have the ability to make things that are great, but they don't offer anything to reflect it.

You are right, they simply can't even compare to Lexus. Even Infiniti is head and shoulders above Acura. If they could have a revival like Audi it would be incredible, but they still don't show the willingness to change.

You feel about HONDA exactly the way I do.

What hurts so much is that HONDA is an engineering powerhouse with great success in Formula 1 !
It has racing roots.
It has given all that up.

I cannot figure out if they are happy with the change to making people haulers or deep down somewhere they feel ashamed of giving it all up.
Some bean counters within HONDA with no cajones whatsoever are driving the company to blandness and boring by refusing to take any chances at all.
Some with a bit of shame and some recollection of what HONDA stood for once are driving to bring the next NSX into being.

It is a company divided as to what it wants to build. Not the ideal way to fight the F and the P cars.

When the economy tanked Honda decided to get out of F1 and cancelled the new NSX and S2000. These kind of endeavors are extremely expensive. They rightly concentrated on their core products and they sell a ton of them in North America. The Accord, Civic and CRV are consistently all in the top ten list of vehicles sold in the US. Honda did not go begging the government for handouts like GM and Chrysler. No wonder these guys can build low volume high performance vehicles, taxpayers are the ones allowing them to do it.
The only way Nissan could survive was to be rescued by Renault. Honda has gone it alone (except their Rover and Isuzu mistakes) and have done extremely well. Honda is not Porsche or Ferrari. They build vehicles that fit the majority of consumers needs. The folks on this forum seem to think that they are somehow speaking for the all kinds of people that are in the market for 150-250k cars. For the vast majority of people a vehicle is little more than an appliance for getting to work and back.
Now that car sales are approaching record levels again, Honda will start spending money on motorsports and halo cars. This is how a smart and independent company operates. This kind of logic obviously escapes some of you. I'm not surprised.

Mr, The King, the kind of logic you are talking about has HONDA shivering in its undies with sales declining and the Acura division doing everything it can to try to increase sales.
HONDA's so called upscale Acura division is stuck on bland, 6-cylinder cars when its competition is doing the opposite...no wonder Acura sales are causing a panic at HONDA headquarters.

"Now that car sales are approaching record levels again, Honda will start spending money on motorsports and halo cars".....precisely the kind of dumb looking backwards to go forwards kind of thinking that has landed them in the pile of manure as far as "halo" cars are concerned. Mr. The King, halo cars and outstanding performance cars are not built all of a sudden when "the market" improves; they are built and improved over decades.

By the time their "halo" car arrives the competition would be so far, they will likely have to abandon the idea once again, fearing another economic downturn and listening to advice from people with thinking not much different than yours. A sure recipe for getting egg all over their face......yet again.

Mr. The King, halo cars and outstanding performance cars are not built all of a sudden when "the market" improves; they are built and improved over decades.

I can't help but giggle at the irony behind this statement consider what car we are discussing right now. ;)

I understand you guys are passionate about HONDA but all I can say is just wait and see. Complaining about it is not going to speed up the process and is a waste of your brain cells. I think Honda has already heard all these complaints and guess what... they are in the process of releasing NSX 2.0 and a new Civic Type-R because of all the negative backlash they got. Let them make the cars (Their statement) and then complain if it's really that bad. That would be the logical thing to do as a consumer. It's like you guys are continuously beating on a downed guy let him try to get back up first before you start throwing the next blow. lol

Seriously what would you like them to do right now that doesn't involve releasing an unprepaired/untested/unrefined car?

On another note I do like this Lamborghini's front end. I don't like the rear of it though. Not a fan of this rear styling they have for the Huracan and the Asterion. Seems like they could of done something better for the rear.

Last edited:
Of what I mentioned "Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai, Cadillac, etc"

Cars that are something special:

Chevy Corvette, Z06 and ZR1. Also Camaro Z28 and ZL1.

Ford Shelby GT500, Raptor.

Dodge Viper, Hellcat.

Nissan GT-R.

Audi R8.

Mercedes SLS-AMG & Black Series.

BMW M3, M4, M5, M6.

Okay Hyundai doesn't make anything really special.

Cadillac CTS-V.

Honda/Acura: absolutely nothing special.

All of the cars you listed are beefed up versions of lesser and common model, besides the Viper, GTR, SLS-AMG, and arguably the newest Corvette (They sell too well though). Mentioning the Camaro is like mentioning the Genesis which you did not seem to see fit.

Honda/Acura should be - Nothing special Yet, but brewing. Please remember they've only made two rear wheel drive cars in recent history. This is nothing new to Honda's direction, and people still act disappointed at something that was going on for a very long time.

So I don't get the logic with people who were "die hard fans" of 90s Honda cars but now have turned to FR V8 as the path to go and then say FF V6 is lame when most of the famous 90s sporty cars were FF I4? And this is coming from a person that was never really a fan of the 90s Honda. The NSX is what turned me over to Honda as the S2000 while impressive in technology, could not do it for me.

I guess Alonso never got the memo that the sun rises and sets on Ferrari's ass and Honda is a gang of fools, huh Mr. liftcontrol? By the way, just because Honda does not bring a particular product to market doesn't mean that there isn't research and development on all kinds of projects at any given time. When they feel the time and conditions are right, the vehicle will come to market. A company with their engineering backround doesn't have a brainwave and throw a half baked car on the market in a few months.

Also Mr. liftcontrol, Honda's sales are not down. If you want to focus on Acura only, you have more of a valid point. I am speaking more about the Honda brand because that is what we sell and have been doing so for 22 years. We will sell six times the new cars this year vs the year we took over the dealership. Oh yeah, before that we operated an egg farm so I'm not too worried about egg on my face or anywhere else.

Simply put Honda needs to grow some balls. That's not just pertaining to the NSX. Everything that comes out of Minato today is conservative and bland. There is no concrete direction for Acura. Its simply a "nicer" Honda. Who cares how many concepts aren't officially NSX concepts. THE FACT is Honda hasn't built a replacement in 20+ years. If Mr. Soichiro was alive today maybe the company would be 180 degrees different. Why are there no competition for the M3/S5, M5/E63, LS460/750/S550? Even Hyundai has the nuts to build a full blown Luxury sedan a la Genesis/Equus to compete with the Luxury big boys. I remember when the Legend was the most sought after sedan. How many RL's have sold lately? Is the RL Sport Hybrid still "delayed?" I've always considered myself a die hard Honda guy, having owned the Prelude, Integra, TL, s2000, and current NSX. While it's possible the NSX 2.0 can become one of the greatest cars ever built, one thing Honda doesn't realize is the NSX alone can't save Acura. Just like Kobe can't save the Lakers. They need a RANGE of exciting models to bring people into the brand. This isn't the 80's and 90's anymore. Other manufacturers have progressed in reliability and technology, a previous trait/strongpoint of Honda. If I had to describe today's Honda, its a half-stepping company. The thing I've come to realize is Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini builds sports cars because that's their primary goal, Honda builds the NSX as a side project. Their main goal is to sell you a commuter. The back and forth story is too long in the tooth. I think people have too high of a hope for Acura because of being misled by Honda. People for years expected and waited for greatness from the company that builds civics and accords, not 458s and F12s.

I think you are saying what we have all felt for some time now. It is somewhat predicable however because companies tend to follow a typical path as they grow from start up/small company where they are innovative and challenge the status quo, to a larger company that has a decent market share (Aka cash cows). Established companies tend to play it safe so as to not disrupt their current customer bases. Then what usually happens is that they play it too safe for too long and the smaller, newer companies start to eat into their market share until the larger company either re-embraces that old aggressive attitude or starts to wilt away (or gets the government to bail them out i.e. "too big to fail"). Look at GM for example. They were starting to lose market share to companies like Honda and Toyota because their products were weak and they had no passion or quality. Honda was the underdog and GM was the established company and it was Honda that brought fresh ideas to the table. GM was at the precipice of failure and with the government's support, they embraced a new attitude and started making some great innovative products (Volt, CTS-V, C7 Corvette, Z28 Camaro). Now Hyundai is the new Honda and they are doing it to the GM's and Honda's of the world. Look at Hyundai's styling. Its not conservative at all.

This is very much like the prevent defense that usually prevents football teams from winning. I have not read it yet but I believe this concept is addressed in Malcolm Gladwell's new book on David and Goliath.

I think Acura is starting to get more aggressive with the new NSX and the RLX Sport Hybrid. These are risky products that challenge the status quo, but if they work well enough, they could catapult Acura to the top of the Sport Luxury brands. The new TLX also seems to be a step in this direction. Is it enough? I doubt it but these dynasties are not built in a year or two. I too which that Acura would have embraced more V-8 rear wheel drive product offering like Lexus. But now it seems they have waited it out long enough that everyone is downsizing with turbos and hybrid tech. So maybe they were smarter than we thought.

All of the cars you listed are beefed up versions of lesser and common model, besides the Viper, GTR, SLS-AMG, and arguably the newest Corvette (They sell too well though). Mentioning the Camaro is like mentioning the Genesis which you did not seem to see fit.

Honda/Acura should be - Nothing special Yet, but brewing. Please remember they've only made two rear wheel drive cars in recent history. This is nothing new to Honda's direction, and people still act disappointed at something that was going on for a very long time.

So I don't get the logic with people who were "die hard fans" of 90s Honda cars but now have turned to FR V8 as the path to go and then say FF V6 is lame when most of the famous 90s sporty cars were FF I4? And this is coming from a person that was never really a fan of the 90s Honda. The NSX is what turned me over to Honda as the S2000 while impressive in technology, could not do it for me.

You forgot the R8 but that's OK. If you want to stand up and defend the Genesis, then by all means, sure, it's a super-special car. The point is, each one of those companies is not a sportscar manufacturer yet they are able to successfully produce and deliver to the customer exciting high-end sportscars.

If I were to revise Honda/Acura it would be Making Promises for a Decade and Still Making Promises. Since the NSX was introduced, we've seen four distinct generations of Corvette, all five generations of M3, etc. It would even be reasonable to say that the NSX and the S2000 were themselves examples of Honda not giving a damn, which essentially were the same cars sold for 10 and 15 years. Hell, even Dodge sees fit to update their low-production Viper more often than once per decade.

In case you forgot, the NSX was released in 1990. The S2000 was also a product of the 90s by about a year. I am not sure where you're going with the whole FF thing, but we're not talking about the Civic Si and the CRX in here, are we? We've haven't turned to "FR V8" over FF V6, we've turned to "sportscar" because Honda doesn't make one anymore.

But in the end, you are right. We have been disappointed for a very long time, and as such we should have no expectations from Honda anymore.

I think I've beat this horse as dead as it will get, and I will let everybody else have the last words here if anyone desires to carry it on any longer.

You forgot the R8 but that's OK. If you want to stand up and defend the Genesis, then by all means, sure, it's a super-special car. The point is, each one of those companies is not a sportscar manufacturer yet they are able to successfully produce and deliver to the customer exciting high-end sportscars.

If I were to revise Honda/Acura it would be Making Promises for a Decade and Still Making Promises. Since the NSX was introduced, we've seen four distinct generations of Corvette, all five generations of M3, etc. It would even be reasonable to say that the NSX and the S2000 were themselves examples of Honda not giving a damn, which essentially were the same cars sold for 10 and 15 years. Hell, even Dodge sees fit to update their low-production Viper more often than once per decade.

In case you forgot, the NSX was released in 1990. The S2000 was also a product of the 90s by about a year. I am not sure where you're going with the whole FF thing, but we're not talking about the Civic Si and the CRX in here, are we? We've haven't turned to "FR V8" over FF V6, we've turned to "sportscar" because Honda doesn't make one anymore.

But in the end, you are right. We have been disappointed for a very long time, and as such we should have no expectations from Honda anymore.

I think I've beat this horse as dead as it will get, and I will let everybody else have the last words here if anyone desires to carry it on any longer.

I did not mention the R8 specifically because it is essentially not a real standalone considering it's based on the Gallardo platform and IMO, the Gallardo is better and more original than the R8. The R8 was not built from the ground up to represent a unique sports car and majority of R8s are depowered with the weaker V8s, versus the V10 from the Gallardo. Also, I am not a fan of the form factor of the R8 nor was I defending the Genesis. I was relating the special rating of the Camaro with the Genesis. Neither are very special, even if they have V8s tucked in them....

You admit yourself that Honda has technically not created a sports car since the 1990s, but yet so many people expect so much from them. Why is that??? :wink:

Where am I going with the FF thing? All of the fan favorites, like the Integra Type R or Civic Si are FF four cylinders when the rest of the world were using 6 cylinders even coupled with turbos. That was the Honda of the 90s. There are some/many die hard fans that loved Honda for that, but now I guess these fans "grew up" and want V8s in their luxury cars to flex with Audi and Lexus instead of V6 FF cars that Acura keeps making. What I am saying is that, if they loved those sporty, high revving compact saloons from the 90s, then what is the difference in not liking what Honda is doing today, because they have and are applying the same philosophy, except now it's with a V6 instead of I4?

Back