• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lamborghini To Make Repalcement NSX Before Honda

+3

some of you guys seriously need to get your heads out of your arses. Honda completely left the NSX out to dry a short time after they debuted it. a 0.2 litre (or 20hp if you prefer) increase in power and some new headlights over 15 years is pretty shameful for a flagship model. they could have done a lot better with it, and in my opinion it was a huge disservice to the NSX.

but as it's been noted, Honda builds Civics and Accords, that's their primary goal. Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porsche build cars out of pure passion, not economics and EPA boasts. that is where the monumental difference lies. if my memory serves me correctly, the NSX was also supposed to be the first hybrid Supercar. it certainly won't hold that distinction whenever it finally comes out, not even close. the frustration with Honda's lackadaisical attitude towards the NSX past or future is certainly warranted.

before you start your negative comments at me, do know that I just spent good money on an '02 Imola last month, and I love it. always have loved the NSX, it's been my favourite car since I was not even old enough to drive it. but I would damn sure love it a lot more if Honda had put a 4.0 V8 in the back with 400 horsepower...
Well, be happy that Honda built the NSX for 15 years. The worst economical discrimination is to NOT sell potential buyers at all. Loosing $$$$$ with every car and low sales will discipline on the economical side of developement. That's why they only made slight changes in 1997. And you guys in the US have quite a lot of 97+ compared to Europe where is very rare. Be happy they didn't kill the car back in 1996. The car is a great residual of the 90ies.

Unless they limit the production (like the Type R sold only in Japan) it won't result in an earthquake the rest of the world. Honestly: for Europe they should better concentrate on adding an automatic gearbox to their diesel engines. But Europe seems to be a neglected market for them. Honda stood for advanced technology till the 90ies but then fell asleep and were even overtaken by the southkorean carmakers. But things seems to get better.

If they really want an highly desirable car they should limit the amount to 100 units 10 of them as Type R, seriously. :) The rest should be produced for the track where it should beat the other cars. Otherwise it will end as any Audi R8, Gallardo or other 'supercar' with a 50% loss of value within 3 years, they are nothing special anymore.

I suppose my original point was that Honda likes to equal the other brands with less (displacement/force/power) to show their engineering and technological might. I say why not smash them to bits with the equivalent of what they have?

as for low production, I don't believe that's Honda's plan with the new NSX. they're certainly not gonna build only 100 models. that won't even begin to cover development costs.

one benefit of the original NSX not selling well and in very low numbers from the late 90's on is that the current value of those cars is climbing every day. while certainly not what Honda intended at the time, those of us who own them today are quite happy about it...

You're right about the costs. But I doubt the car will cover the development costs even if sold in higher numbers. Well, Toyota did that with the LF-A (a car built some lightyears ago it seems to me :)).

The key point is that the NSX seems to gain in value, but only and mainly in the US, even though the US had the biggest share of them. In Europe their prices are stable (unless some freaking dealer's ads) but any NSX don't sell fast (takes months in Europe). What would you think the prices would be now if they only built 500 or 1000 unit worldwide or maybe 10 real Type R LHD in the US?

Back