• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wind Noise Plugs?

The '97 owners manual describes a pair of plugs that can be used to reduce wind noise when the top is off. These plugs are stored in the glove box.

I didn't find these plugs in my recently acquired NSX, and I don't imagine I would ever need to use them (the engine/exhaust noise pretty much drowns out everything else :smile: ), but I'm curious how effective they really are?

NSXPlug.jpg

Last edited:
They're not that effective. The change in sound is minimal and I admit I mostly like to have them out of a sense of completeness. They have a slightly more prominent effect if the windows are also rolled up (which reduces the wind/noise much much more anyways).

I always thought they were fairly good at wind noise reduction, that is until they "walked away" one day during a meet.......

Wow! I had these given to me by the prior owner of my car. He advised me of their use too.. Maybe one day I can see if they actually make a difference..

I just checked on oemacuraparts and for two of these plugs with shipping the price was $26.82 ($11 in shipping).
Tim at Acura of Peoria (see below - that's the website you just checked) offers free shipping to NSXprime members, but I don't know whether there's a minimum on that, you'd need to ask him.

Of course, you can always buy the parts at your local Acura dealer - phone ahead and have them ordered, since they won't be in stock - and they shouldn't charge you any shipping, although they will charge you sales tax.

Tim at Acura of Peoria (see below - that's the website you just checked) offers free shipping to NSXprime members, but I don't know whether there's a minimum on that, you'd need to ask him.

Of course, you can always buy the parts at your local Acura dealer - phone ahead and have them ordered, since they won't be in stock - and they shouldn't charge you any shipping, although they will charge you sales tax.

Should you go this route, be sure to state "NSX Prime free shipping" in the comments section. They initially charge the shipping and then credit the same amount back. I'm not aware of there being a minimum order, you might check with oemacuraparts.

I have them.... but they dont leave the glove box

Just curious, did they come loose in the glove box, or are they in a special holder or case?

no special holder. Other than "having them", they're useless. I've used them twice in 13 years, and that was when I first got the car!!!

As roger said... no case. and they cant be used with the top on as they fill a hole that is needed for the locking pin.

i leave them out even on the rare occasion when the top is off

Tim's minimum is $25 for free shipping.

no special holder. Other than "having them", they're useless. I've used them twice in 13 years, and that was when I first got the car!!!

I asked in a different thread but didn't get an answer. When you bought your car (new???) were the plugs just in the glove box, sans bag? Or were they in a plastic bag or something? Just curious.

Just ordered them thru Marin Acura. Initially, they wanted to charge full price at $10.57 each, but when I mentioned I could get them cheaper online, they dropped it to $8.46, which is the discounted price on Honda's parts site. Total with tax comes to $18 and change. I'll probably never use them, but I'll feel better knowing my baby is complete :wink:

Now if only I could find a pair of those Acura mitts that keep your hands from being burned by a hot roof....

Last edited:
Tim's minimum is $25 for free shipping.

I asked in a different thread but didn't get an answer. When you bought your car (new???) were the plugs just in the glove box, sans bag? Or were they in a plastic bag or something? Just curious.

I think they were just in the glove box. I leave them in on of the two small compartments on the top of the center console box. They keep the change quiet that way.

I think they were just in the glove box. I leave them in on of the two small compartments on the top of the center console box. They keep the change quiet that way.
People still keep change on their console, in this day and age of transponders for electronic toll payments??? I thought that whole idea was going the way of pay phones, typewriters, and other concepts made obsolete by technology. :biggrin:

I use them all the time and find they work.......might be a chick thing, after all I do have 'sensitive' ears......I leave them in the flip up part of the front console and take them out when I park the car so nobody steals them. Oh, when you have them in and try to put the roof back on - you'll realize you forgot to take them out. Roof fits that way :>).

People still keep change on their console, in this day and age of transponders for electronic toll payments??? I thought that whole idea was going the way of pay phones, typewriters, and other concepts made obsolete by technology. :biggrin:

I've had the car for 13 years, that's how long the change is in there. I've had EZ-Pass for 12 years! :)

There is a fair amount of noise directly coming from turbulence in those holes. I disagree that the effect is minimal. I have tried it on and off at speed by placing my finger over the hole and the difference is significant.

picture of you driving at speed with finger in the hole....please.......

Back