• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner here...

Just picked up an NA1 out of California. It is scheduled to arrive here early next week. I am planning on getting it in for immediate service and preventative maintenance work. The car appears to be perfectly straight, Carfax (yes, I pulled one this time) shows two previous owners and no accidents. Mileage is super high but the car seems to be in solid, straight shape. Interior is clean. Not overly worn. Will need some work but I am excited on this second go around.

Attachments

• 1991 Silver NSX Sally.pdf
    775.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
congrats again LOL... whats up with the other one? I think you were selling it right

I was near you last week (WDW) and I tried to get that fellow with the 1996-T to meet with me. I was ready. Ready, I tell you, to buy that car. Red, 53K on the clock, targa, just a sweet car. The guy took too long to return calls and before I knew it, I was back at Orlando International headed to Chicago.

Yes, I sold the other one. Though, I still have the pristine decklid and spoiler...

Okay, so there is a little bit of the story I failed to mention...I sort of bought this car sight-unseen. You see, the seller posted the car in a magazine that is more focused on hot rods and European sports cars. As I recall his ad read, "first $XX takes it." I slept on it for a week and then I called him. I asked for photos and he said he would mail them to me. I almost fell on the floor. I realized that I had something interesting here so I went through my own PPI (now that I am an expert-kidding.) When the guy read off the exact measurements of the alignment and said he would warrant that he has not wrecked it, I asked him for the VIN. That was like pulling teeth - but I did. I ran the Carfax-super clean. I called all the area dealerships - got what I needed.

Now, I was down to dealing. He was asking the equivalent of a built motor with a turbo and a case of Two Brothers Domaine DuPage beer. Do I make an offer on what is already a ridiculously low number or do I just say, "I'll take it." I remembered a saying in my business about hogs getting slaughtered so I asked if I could overnight him a cashier's check...at full ask. He agreed.

Here is where it gets interesting.

I don't know this guy from Adam, he is off the grid (really, no cell phone, address was a mail center in a nearby town, would not give me any account info.) I ran searches on him and found a block he lived on (Google Map even showed the car.)

So, he gets the check and takes it to his bank. Not mine. The check gets stamped, "Stop Payment". Mind you this is a Cashier's Check. The money is already out of my account. I am going nuts about the money and maybe losing the car. Then my cynical side kicked in and I thought I was being scammed. Worse still, the car hauler guy showed up a day early and spooked the guy. I am worried that the old guy thinks I am some slickster from Chicago trying to scam him. Or, was he scamming me?

Not to be outdone by him, I do my research on the guy some more and believing that people are generally good, I cut another check and overnight it. And I insisted that he cash the check at my bank. Now, he has the cash equivalent of TWO built motors with turbos, etc and three cases of my favorite beer. I sit and wait. This time, I sent my bank the check via pdf (copy) and told them to have that much cash on hand so that my man can walk in, produce two forms of ID and walk out with a stack of hundreds. They comply and my car carrier guy is waiting at the end of the block within minutes.

Not done yet.

Car is enroute and I get a call from someone claiming they had a right of first refusal. I listened politely and point out that if they had a valid ROFR, then the car would be headed to them and not me. We both laughed at that and agreed to remain friends...but no, he could not have the car at what I paid. Besides, my first Cashier's Check was...wait for it...still outstanding. I asked the seller to cut it in half and put it in the little space behind the passenger seat. The check arrived tonight about three hours ago along with the car.

The car appears to be completely original (or repaired with original parts) right down to the kit int he trunk and the unused spare tire. The car is so original, the glove box light still works and the chime still makes a nice noise.

If you are still reading and are interested, I will take detailed photos and post later. Right now, I am whipped I am so tired.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if you are wondering about those snail mail photos...they came after the second check was sent. When they arrived, I handed the envelope to my wife and asked her if she would do the honors. She looked at the photos and proclaimed it a very nice looking car.

She was right. And Jim, you are right as well. She is a saint for putting up with all the junk thus far. I just hope she never sees the above post...I sort of left most of those details for my memoirs.

It seems that your luck has gone up with this one. Congratulations. I need to start looking where you do.

I am happy for you, I told you don't give up and I am sure your happy now.

goodluck with the car and have some fun and no more spending put your wallet down let it take a breather LOL

I am happy for you, I told you don't give up and I am sure your happy now.

goodluck with the car and have some fun and no more spending put your wallet down let it take a breather LOL

Funny you should say that, Shawn. A few hours before the car was to arrive, a local Primer delivered to me a nice set of Enkeis wih new tires. He had just swapped them out on his 1997. So, I guess he wallet is still officially open.

Considering it is 50F here right now, I am going to get a few drives in before the snow flies and the salt is put out. And that takes a little wallet-opening. ;)

Congrats!!! Where can I find one of these magazines full of ads placed by people who have no idea what the internet is???

Lol...I'm sure there is some great deals on there!!!!!

Nice !! and congrats - interesting story - love hearing the stories about the purchases and drives / transports. All special. And true dat about the wives - would be interesting threads about the spouse's thoughts about our special interest and purchase stories on our NSX's.

Dec 6 Pre Wheel Change NSX.jpg

So, here (above) is the car before I swapped out the rims today. The rears had 3/32 on them so I needed to upgrade to fresh rubber anyway. These are OEM 16/17s and they were LOUD. Roaring loud.

Here is what I threw on the car. Enkeis. 17/18. Already the ride is much smoother, quieter. Not sure on performance yet.

Attachments

• December 6 NSX.jpg
    December 6 NSX.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 285
Roman,
Thanks for asking. They are classier than the ones I put on, so no, not planning to at this point.
Besides, I set two down, walked away...and you guessed it, they fell over on their face. Man, unnecessary/self-made scratches are the worst.
Morgan

Roman,
Thanks for asking. They are classier than the ones I put on, so no, not planning to at this point.
Besides, I set two down, walked away...and you guessed it, they fell over on their face. Man, unnecessary/self-made scratches are the worst.
Morgan
Sucks. But let me. know if you happen to change your mind. Clean car btw. Enjoy ;)

Back