• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bleeding Clutch / Brakes Alone

Just did my clutch master and slave cylinders and thought I'd pass this along to the lone wrenchers like myself. I picked this up at Harbor Freight ( http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html ) and was very pleased.

I only used the bottle on the left that supplies the fluid at the reservoir as I didn't feel like dragging out the compressor and just wanted to do a slow gravity flush / bleed. The one I have came with a better valve on it that's a small 90 degree ball valve.

The white adapters that are supposed to sit down in the reservoir for the bottle to stand up are kind of weak and I was afraid it would fall over with a not so level reservoir. Solution? Made a wire "hanger" onto the bottle and with a couple of S hooks and a small piece of chain I hung it from one of the many holes under the hood.

Think of it like a hamster water bottle. The only time fluid flows out of it is when the reservoir level drops enough to make a break between it and the top of the fluid in the reservoir. This leaves you not having to worry about refilling the reservoir while working at the back. As long as the bottle has fluid you're good.

This makes it so easy I'll do this and the brakes more often now as preventative maintenance and so should you. :biggrin:

My setup as it would hang into the reservoir.

Last edited:
Yes they work well, I bought one while at NSXPO. What a fun shop those places are!
Wish we had them here.....

It's dangerous going to Harbor Freight. I could spend a billion dollars there.

It's dangerous going to Harbor Freight. I could spend a billion dollars there.

You definitely have to pick and choose in there. Not all their stuff is all that great but for one time or low use things, they are hard to beat.

I'd also like to add that with this bottle full and hanging straight up and down, sometimes it doesn't want to let the fluid drain as fast as it needs to keep up. Give the bottle a little lean/angle when hanging and it works like a champ. With a full bottle I was able to get a good brake bleed at all four corners with no issues.

Back