• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Sir. please. We have been in the business for over 50 years. I think we know a thing

"Sir. please. We have been in the business for over 50 years. I think we know a thing

or two about repairing electronics."

But, I just want to be sure before I break down and take the thing out. Would you at least let me give you the model number? My understanding is that the parts are no longer available.

Long silence.

"Sure. Give it to me now. I will look it up and call you back."

Ten minutes go by. And then the call.

"Sir, we rebuild these all the time. Your call, but we are happy to give you an estimate. We source the parts globally, so no doubt you have heard others say they cannot fix certain models."

Giddyup.

I just took out the deck and will give it a shot. After that, if they are unsuccessful, off to Willmans for the upgraded replacement.

Well this is intriguing.

OK, I am sorry to say, I do not get this post at all:).

What are you telling us, a vendor who will remain nameless is arrogant?

:)

Regards,
LarryB

OK, I am sorry to say, I do not get this post at all:).

What are you telling us, a vendor who will remain nameless is arrogant?

:)

Regards,
LarryB

Larry,

As an aspiring writer, I will attempt humor in my posts. Just work with me here. (Kidding)

I was very happy to find a shop willing to work on the stereo. They were essentially rolling their eyes (verbally) that I had the audacity to wonder if they had the skill set to do the job. Nothing negative about it. Just funny. I suppose someone could find their attitude annoying, I just went with it.

If they indeed do a great job, I will have contributed to finding another vendor willing to fix the stereo.

Thanks,

MB

So they will attempt to fix it. If they fail will they charge you?

If they fail then kiss $30 goodbye. In other word, "let me charge you so I can tell you it's dead and no worky"
But, let's hope they can. That way there is one option for those who want to keep it factory like.

I would happily spend $30 to see if I could keep the OEM system going.

I'm confused. Why not just go directly to BrianK?

Yea, I'm wondering the same thing. Either BrianK for a fixed/refreshed OEM headunit, or willman's for the upgrade (which I personally think is way overpriced)

Although if these guys will actually repair it for $30, that would be pretty great too.

Last edited:
Brian K is not repairing head units any more, just speaker amps.

Brian K is not repairing head units any more, just speaker amps.

+1
I don't think repairing head units was actually ever BrianK's forte, I think he attempted it for people when they asked, but eventually it wasn't working out so well.

Yea, I'm wondering the same thing. Either BrianK for a fixed/refreshed OEM headunit, or willman's for the upgrade (which I personally think is way overpriced)

Although if these guys will actually repair it for $30, that would be pretty great too.

Besides the William's upgrade, didn't William's repair head units in the past as well?

+1
I don't think repairing head units was actually ever BrianK's forte, I think he attempted it for people when they asked, but eventually it wasn't working out so well.

Besides the William's upgrade, didn't William's repair head units in the past as well?
Yes, but I think I've read somewhere that they're also preferring to do the update Instead of the repair now. So in that respect I do hope that this repair works out, as personally I only ever want to maintain the stock head unit. For me, the extra functionality comes from a grom adapter and cellphone which are all external to the head unit and completely reversible.

Last edited:
Yes, but I think I've read somewhere that they're also preferring tondo the update Instead of the repair now. So in that respect I do hope that this repair works out as personally I only ever want to maintain the stock head unit. For me, the extra functionality comes from a from adapter and cellphone which are all external to the head unit.

Yeah, I would imagine it is probably more cost efficient for them to do the upgrade instead of a repair (I meant to look up their repair price).
Or less hassle.

And I agree with the positive interest in this possible new repair source.

I too would like to have an OEM head unit that is working at 100%. I really enjoy the OEM sound system even though I have some issues and would love to experience as if it were brand new from factory.

p.s. Cassette tape auxiliary adapter is where it's at!

[MENTION=30518]Speedmaster[/MENTION] any update on whether they were able to repair your headunit?

Interested in this topic as my head unit now emits smoke from the cassette entrance if I turn the radio on (even if no music is heard).

Scary.

Just got the first call-back. "Sir, can you bring your car by so we can test the voltage?" Hmm. I have the schematic. May I just email it to you? "No, would really prefer to see the system so we can find the ACC power line." It is the red/yellow one, per the manual. "Understand sir. Can you swing by tomorrow?"
Me, ugh, sure. I sure hope my investment in this is worth it. Parking alone is going to kill me.

Speedmaster, I wouldn't knock'em and not give them a shot just because they want to take a look at it in person and just see first-hand what's up.

The OEM radio can certainly be repaired but it really depends on what's failing. I had my amps rebuilt so I knew they were fine when my radio starting turning itself off and on while in the "on" position and sometimes wouldn't even turn on. Other times the display would go nuts and show all sorts of klingon-like symbols and patterns.

Most sales/repair shops aren't too keen on performing the arduous task of replacing the capacitors and would rather just sell you a new system. It's commonly known and referenced on these boards that one of the prevailing issues on our older cars which also causes the failing radios and strange unit behavior over time is capacitor leaks. There are even posts of guys on here having replaced the capacitors themselves with success. It just takes time and patience.

If after you meet them you're still feeling uneasy consider sending your unit to Hi-Tech Electronic Services in Van Nuys, CA. I used Hi-Tech to repair my head unit earlier this spring, and although I haven't had it back for years and years to speak to its longevity, from what I have experienced so far they did an excellent job and it is functioning flawlessly in every respect, every time I use it. I shipped it to them (around $8-$9 using priority mail w/full insurance another $15) and they first diagnosed, then let me know what they thought was wrong, if it could be repaired, and how much.
Their techs and management were very professional with very good communication, had worked on NSX radios in the past (now including mine), and the cost seemed very fair compared to all the options out there (especially if you want to keep oem), packaging was great for the return, and turnaround was pretty decent considering days in transit.

There's no sense in putting a cost down with all the varying conditions and ages of head units, diagnosis', availability of parts, etc. I will say that the range quoted on their website is probably a little low for most units unless you barely need anything rebuilt/replaced. With this route all you would need to do is fill out their shipping form and send everything to them. If it's just the common capacitor failure, barring anything else failing in the future, then technically it could function another 15+ yrs just like it did the first go round until the new capacitors start to leak through age, heat cycles, etc. I really do think there are service shops out there who can do this kind of work, but is becoming more and more a lost art and harder and harder to find. As long as they have the parts and the resolve instead of trying to sell you a new system, I personally think it was worth every penny.

I hope the best for you at getting it solved/fixed regardless!

Thanks for the update. However, I don't understand what the repair shop is getting at and where they're going with this. Can anyone fill me in? Thanks.

Thanks, vf2ss. But, I hope I am not giving the wrong impression. I am not knocking these guys. They told me up front that the tech would want to test the voltage (even though I pushed back hard.) So, I take an hour around lunch and let them confirm the ACC/Y wire, hand them my electronics manual and tell them that they may need to focus on the capacitors. No big deal. If indeed they can troubleshoot it, then giddyup, we are off to the races of having it repaired locally. If not, then I will wonder why they would charge me $30 and hold it two weeks to test my voltage and say they really cannot bench test a basic Bose. We shall see.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, does anyone here have the schematic for the head unit? That might be helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the update. However, I don't understand what the repair shop is getting at and where they're going with this. Can anyone fill me in? Thanks.

I really don't know, but I am willing to be curious and patient on this one. Just for fun if nothing else. And, I may get myself a new lunch place in a neighborhood I would never visit otherwise. Call me an optimist. Hopefully, you will call me a rocking-optimist in a week or so.

Last edited:
Back