• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Sir. please. We have been in the business for over 50 years. I think we know a thing

If after you meet them you're still feeling uneasy consider sending your unit to Hi-Tech Electronic Services in Van Nuys, CA. I used Hi-Tech to repair my head unit earlier this spring, and although I haven't had it back for years and years to speak to its longevity, from what I have experienced so far they did an excellent job and it is functioning flawlessly in every respect, every time I use it. I shipped it to them (around $8-$9 using priority mail w/full insurance another $15) and they first diagnosed, then let me know what they thought was wrong, if it could be repaired, and how much.
Their techs and management were very professional with very good communication, had worked on NSX radios in the past (now including mine), and the cost seemed very fair compared to all the options out there (especially if you want to keep oem), packaging was great for the return, and turnaround was pretty decent considering days in transit.

Thank you for this information vf2ss!

I really don't know, but I am willing to be curious and patient on this one. Just for fun if nothing else. And, I may get myself a new lunch place in a neighborhood I would never visit otherwise. Call me an optimist. Hopefully, you will call me a rocking-optimist in a week or so.

Good luck Speedmaster.

Thank you for this information vf2ss!

Good luck Speedmaster.

Just got my quote. $179 to replace the power amp output.

I am expecting it back in two more weeks.

If this works, I am going to need a bluetooth casette as a present to myself (i.e. no GROM.)

Stay tuned.

Just got my quote. $179 to replace the power amp output.

I am expecting it back in two more weeks.

If this works, I am going to need a bluetooth casette as a present to myself (i.e. no GROM.)

Stay tuned.

Why no GROM?

I think the GROM is superior in multiple ways.
-It interfaces directly with the CD changer input in the rear. Audio quality should be vastly superior to the Cassette because of the cassette's limited frequency response.
-You'll be able to control skipping forward and reverse from the OEM controls or via your Phone/iPod controls. With the cassette, you can only use your Phone/iPod controls.
-The GROM doesn't need to be charged (unlimited run time)! It's wired into the stock wiring providing it power. All bluetooth cassette adapters need to be charged in order to work (Ion one claims 6 hours run time).
-Depending on the model, you can multiple input options with the GROM including Aux/Headphone jack, USB, and Bluetooth.

If after all of that, you still want to use the cassette adapter, then here's one for $20:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1049238-REG/ion_audio_bluetooth_cassette.html

Amazon reviews give it 3 stars out of 5
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Cassette-Adapter-Bluetooth-Receiver/product-reviews/B00I3YLHAC

Last edited:
I'm confused about the $30. Is this a checkout fee or the complete repair will be $30 fixed or not? I'm assuming it's a checkout fee that will be applied to the final repair bill if repairable.

I'm confused about the $30. Is this a checkout fee or the complete repair will be $30 fixed or not? I'm assuming it's a checkout fee that will be applied to the final repair bill if repairable.

I'm not concerned about the $30, or the $179, or $209 etc.
If this firm can genuinely repair our oem headsets for under $300 we all will benefit.
Hoping to hear good news about the fix.

The total bill is forecasted at $179. Before we get too excited here...let's see the quality of their work. If the stereo works, I will share the shop's name.

very interesting, fingers crossed. Thanks for doing the legwork speedmaster

very interesting, fingers crossed. Thanks for doing the legwork speedmaster

Hey, VivanShah...I am going to be spending some serious time in the Burgh this next year. I am done with Primati (sp?) Bros. I need some new places to eat...and run. So, maybe a cars, food and running get together is in order? I will post in the regional space next time I head over.

Uh oh.
So, I got the call today.
"Sir, there is nothing wrong with your stereo." How do you know that? "There is no amp in your head unit. It is somewhere in your car." Really. I think I have at least three amps that I am aware of. Did you bench test it? No? What do you mean? Bench test the damn thing and then call me back. "Sir, your mute is working properly. This is the issue. We fixed the mute." Sorry man, there is no mute button on this stereo. Are we talking about the same stereo? What? No, I am not going to pick up the head unit until you bench test it and tell me that all systems are working properly. And while we are at it, I will send you proof that there are amps in the speakers and not in the head unit. "Okay, send them."
Language barriers suck but I am trying here. My gut is that the guy is taking the lazy way out. My ego is forcing me to show them their mistakes so that I can get this darn thing fixed.
Wait till I call them tomorrow. I will ask him how the bench test went. This will be fun.

Oh boy. I had my suspicions based on the "Sir" that this may not be someone who takes a great deal of pride in their work.

Edit: and yes, let us know next time you're in Pitt. I can help a lot with the eating part...not so much with the running part though :)

This keeps getting better! lol Go get 'em speed!

I think I'd be inclined to give them their thirty bucks and retrieve my head unit before they do any damage. At least they fixed your mute button. Ha!

Hey, does anyone have the service manual for our OEM head units?

Is it not in the electrical troubleshooting manual? I don't have one to check, but I would hope all the factory the electrical systems would be covered.

Found it here, starting at page 232: http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/acura-nsx-service_manual_91/13_electrical.pdf

Waiting for replies from some local places I've found, this should help a ton.

Hey guys, thanks for this. I have the electrical manual as well. But, what I really need is the Alpine circuit board schematic. I spoke to the good folks that Bose sent me to and the guy told me that if I could get my hands on the schematic, I would be the only person in the USA to have it. He said it was like gold and that he would love to have it but that Alpine has not released it...ever.

So, I like a challenge like the next guy but this may be too much. Even for me. (Kidding)

I wonder how Willman was repairing them all those years if he didn't have a schematic? I had a Becker guy tell me the same thing about a Porsche-specific head unit but was able to get my hands on a schematic. I'm like you Speedmaster, love a good research challenge.

I know I should not generalize, but does it not seem odd that an electronics shop cannot figure it out without a schematic? Just wondering.

I know I should not generalize, but does it not seem odd that an electronics shop cannot figure it out without a schematic? Just wondering.

without a schematic, one could test a known working head unit to learn the specs of each component, but that is time consuming.

In the days where circuits were constructed with discrete analog electronic devices, troubleshooting was pretty straight forward. Just follow the signal path. Most car audio manufactures now utilize proprietary integrated circuits in their devices. There is no looking up a device number in a Motorola source book to check on the function of the chip. In addition, proprietary chips may be unavailable as replacements if they have failed.

If there isn't a broken wire or something obvious like a failed electrolytic, you are pretty much SOL without a schematic on contemporary car electronics.

Update - spoke with Alpine and their two go-to suppliers. No parts. I spoke with United Radio - same story. Their recommendation was to take it to a local shop that would spend the time on it to repair it. So, if my local guy tanks (and my bet right now is that he will), I will look at the other suggestions.

Not really. The guy has set it aside and appears to be approaching it as a, "challenge." I think he said something like, I test, I hit a dead end. I test something else, another dead end. Someone spilled a Coke on it, the board is sticky and brown. I asked if that was maybe a burst capacitor.

Not optimistic, but at this point, I have a chance to get this guy into a true guru-know-it-all about our head units or he hands it back exasperated.

I will post back later this week. I will prompt him on Wednesday.

The OEM radio can certainly be repaired but it really depends on what's failing. I had my amps rebuilt so I knew they were fine when my radio starting turning itself off and on while in the "on" position and sometimes wouldn't even turn on. Other times the display would go nuts and show all sorts of klingon-like symbols and patterns.

!

Ha Ha...that's what mine is doing now.

Talked to Daryl. First try to repair, if not Modify.

On this page run Video of Mod http://www.willmanselectronics.com/nsx_sales.htm

Back