• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BAT Bring a Trailer Grand Prix White GPW 1992 NSX auction.This should be interesting.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-3/

This NSX has been discussed on Prime many times in the past, easy to look up its history with a quick VIN search. I saw it in person in 2012 and it looked super clean. "Time machine" came to mind. I didn't buy it during my GPW coupe search only because by the time I had reached the seller, he changed his mind after receiving so many calls and didn't want to sell. We kept in touch after I found mine, and he later sold it when he got out of the business of collecting & selling cars this year. I'm kind of shocked to see it back on the marketplace so soon, but here it is. From my perspective, the hunger for a GPW NSX has died down a little bit compared to 2011-2013. But this should be a fun auction to watch for the next six days. Thanks to [MENTION=30317]KnoxVegas[/MENTION] for showing me this one. Where's the popcorn.

1992-Acura-NSX-Front.jpg

1992-Acura-NSX-Side.jpg

Honestly its ugly. I think the 02+ white NSX's look bad ass or any white with an 02+ conversion.

its just looks plain to my eyes not sparkly no luster just Dull.

don't hate me LOL

Honestly its ugly. I think the 02+ white NSX's look bad ass or any white with an 02+ conversion.

don't hate me LOL

lol, Shawn, better watch what you say around yinzer...

Ain't no skin off my back. :) The more non-GPW fans there are/were, the easier it made my hunt. :)

Absolutely beautiful!!

Interested to see what it brings, but someone in the past claimed its not as immaculate as presented

I do not believe this NSX (JH4NA1156NT001208 / 14,XXX miles) qualifies as a “museum piece” as the seller claims, but for those of you who may be interested in the vehicle, I am providing the following observations, impressions, and photos during a recent PPI at McGrath Acura:

- There was paint work front and rear – which was not disclosed.
- The paint workmanship was of poor quality and did not match (in person you can easily see up to four different shades of white).
- The paint masking tape showed obvious bleeding marks (#0013/engine bay) and was not even straight (#0005/rear bumper).
- There seems to have been a few attempts to repair damage and/or dents, such as the right rear quarter panel and the trunk lid (#0010 and #0012/bodyshop “dots” weren’t even removed!!).
- A black undercoating was sprayed on the rear part of the car. It was difficult to understand why undercoating was used and/or what it may have been attempting to hide. Nonetheless, the undercoating workmanship was of poor quality (#0037, #0042, and #0043).
- Non-OEM / incorrectly sized wheels must have been on vehicle at some point as there were signs of rubbing inside both front wheel arches (#0003 and #0004).
- OEM wheels were scratched (#0048).
- OEM tires were flat spotted and rough looking. During the road test, the technician noted that the tires were loud, braking was impacted, and that there was an indeterminable “thunking” sound emanating from the left-rear suspension.
- The exhaust baffle was dented (#0006).
- There were signs of battery leakage (#0039).
- Etc...
- Non-existent service history with respect to TB/WP.
- A compression test was scheduled but not performed due to the findings of PPI.

JBZ.

Interested to see what it brings, but someone in the past claimed its not as immaculate as presented

It sure looked clean when I looked at it. Absent putting it up on a lift and having a qualified tech & body man to do a PPI, I think much of the 2009 info was overblown and incorrect. Some of the paint bleeding comments were funny, especially since it was very easy to see that they were normal production results by looking at other 91-93's.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...he-one/page2?p=1660976&viewfull=1#post1660976

I met the prior owner who bought it from Chicago around 2009 and sold it just this past winter to the current seller. He was an ex-surgeon who "retired" into becoming a car collector and owner of a boutique "used car lot" that let him buy, enjoy, then sell all kinds of fun cars.

I suppose my opinion is as helpful as the unsubstantiated observations in the 2009 post, but he was pretty knowledgeable and meticulous and, as far as I could tell, ethical. He had a lift in his shop and had the car serviced by an NSX-qualified tech from the area when needed; I could only assume he would have been forthright if he had found anything amiss with signs of body damage. But anyway...having seen the car and shared my findings 3 years ago, I'm just re-sharing since the 2009 findings are also coming back up from the depths!

Mines in better shape and only has 33,400 mi.
White,Type-R wheels makes them look GREAT!
I'm the 2nd owner.

Cheers
nigel

Already up to $42k. But we need to careful about thinking this will accurately reflect the market. I've seen some cars (particularly Miatas) go for insane prices in BaT auctions.

I'd have to agree with Shawn Yinzer, sorry man. It does look plain. Like a white door stop from the side. Yawn......

I'd have to agree with Shawn Yinzer, sorry man. It does look plain. Like a white door stop from the side. Yawn......

Sorry's are completely unnecessary here. One man's doorstop is another man's dream come true. I'm just glad I found my GPW before Shawn did. :)

Nice white is a freaking unicorn. lucky you.

Im still in the air about which i want more a White or an LBBP

Im not sure but white is up there on my want list.

congrats and welcome to the club

look nice, great color.

another UNICORN in the house.

I have to say that I was never a fan of gpw until I saw Andy's in person. Always thought it was plain and flat, but in person it is anything but. Its hard to capture reflections on white in pictures.

Edit: deleted the GPW photos, they have nothing to do with the thread topic I started. :)

Last edited:
I'd also comment that GPW often doesn't photgraph too well, but in person it is anything but plain and dull. It really does pop in real life. GPW was my first NSX, since then I had black, and now Spa Yellow. I still think the GPW over all looks the best in person.

I don't think it is the color...Most stock NSX's with fat fives and the 4x4 stock ride height aren't going to excite most people these days around here in any color...

Put some white oem 7 spokes or some nice 17/18 on that bad boy and lower it, it becomes legend!!!:cool::biggrin: :tongue:

Last edited:
Rolling on fat fives with the 4X4 ride height excites me plenty from behind the wheel. If it doesn't impress as much from the outside, that's the viewer's disappointment, not mine. I love sexy rims and nice (not over-done) stance when I'm looking at cars, but for me the 91 NSX is best driven on stock suspension.

- - - Updated - - -

BTT: Then there is this:
"This particular car does fall within range of VIN’s that may potentially be affected by transmission snap ring failure, though the seller’s tech measured the distance between case opening to ring groove at 25.5 mm and deemed it not an issue."

[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]As Larry B. points out in the Snap Ring thread, there is no way to determine if a transmission housing is a candidate for snap ring failure with the transmission on the car. And it sounds like you would need some pretty sophisticated measuring systems to determine this even with the transmission out and disassembled.
[/FONT]

Some of the issues brought up in the post by JBZ (cited by nsxot1c) have been addressed. But I still think the current bid is fast approaching all the money given the lack of service history, the weird undercoating, the snap ring issue, and the "patina" this car is starting to exhibit. The car has too many miles to appeal to odometer freaks. And condition (and maybe some documented service history) is more important to collectors than mileage, at least to a point. I would rate the condition of this car as a 3+.

I do like white, though. Still looking forward to seeing my first white unicorn in person. So maybe the color will attract several bidders and keep the bidding lively over the next few days.

Yes, but if memory serves...down that thread further, one of our own (PBJBasso?) debunked the "issues". I have no affiliation just want to ensure all info is out there.

Sure some of that stuff is picky, but looking at the photos he posted, plus the ones in the BAT listing linked in the first post, I have some questions / concerns about the car and would definitely want to have it carefully inspected before trying to establish value.

don't hate me LOL

I agree.

With the low miles the snap ring issue would be enough to scare me away. That is a big ticket repair on top of the cost of the car if it fails. It is pretty though.

With the low miles the snap ring issue would be enough to scare me away. That is a big ticket repair on top of the cost of the car if it fails. It is pretty though.

I was certainly glad I found a '93 given the snap ring potential of this one, but when I looked at this particular 1992 in 2012, I would have pursued a PPI if the owner hadn't taken it off the market for sentimental reasons -- especially after this guy chimed in about all the "burn the witch" chanting over this car. :)

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...1156NT001208?p=1248045&viewfull=1#post1248045

- - - Updated - - -

Add: I will say the bumpers look like different shades in the BAT photos. Like any NSX unless you're buying it from Larry B or pbassjo - get a PPI. But it looked all one color when I looked at it in 2012. :)

http://www.rarecarsforsaleblog.com/2012/12/03/super-clean-1992-acura-nsx-in-grand-prix-white/

http://www.collectioncar.com/detailed.php?ad=31560&category_id=1&lang=nl

$44,444

Back