• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BAT Bring a Trailer Grand Prix White GPW 1992 NSX auction.This should be interesting.

Honestly, this is not about whether the car looks good or not. It's about an investment. GPW 91-94 cars will be highly sought after, especially low mileage ones. Even with the collector car market busting (although its certainly slowed down recently) this car still should far outpace inflation.

Well this one keeps getting interesting. For one thing, the prior owner whom I met in 2012 and who sold it to the current owner is chiming in under the nickname db2sub1 at the auction page discussion, adding a few interesting tidbits that I didn't know myself, as well as some "been there" data points. Secondly, I realized there's a flickr page with many more pictures including a 2014 PPI report where it's commented that the right rear quarter panel may have been repainted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/batexclusives/sets/72157655283823251

Like any car for sale, this could have had some well-done, well-hidden, undiscovered, or undisclosed damage by a prior owner, who knows. Hopefully a buyer performs a full PPI before signing the dotted line and then reports back. Though I have no skin in the game, I'm just curious to know whether or not it deserved all the conjecture it's received, since I would have likely pursued buying it in 2012 if the owner didn't change his mind about selling.

Well this one keeps getting interesting. For one thing, the prior owner whom I met in 2012 and who sold it to the current owner is chiming in under the nickname db2sub1 at the auction page discussion, adding a few interesting tidbits that I didn't know myself, as well as some "been there" data points. Secondly, I realized there's a flickr page with many more pictures including a 2014 PPI report where it's commented that the right rear quarter panel may have been repainted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/batexclusives/sets/72157655283823251

Like any car for sale, this could have had some well-done, well-hidden, undiscovered, or undisclosed damage by a prior owner, who knows. Hopefully a buyer performs a full PPI before signing the dotted line and then reports back. Though I have no skin in the game, I'm just curious to know whether or not it deserved all the conjecture it's received, since I would have likely pursued buying it in 2012 if the owner didn't change his mind about selling.

I would not be surprised if that car has been hit and not put back together good as new based on several different things in the photos. That is why is said IMO it needs a thorough inspection to establish value. For a daily driver as long as it's pretty good that may not matter, but for someone looking to invest in a "collector" car and payinging a premium for such, they'd certainly want to find out for sure.

The yellowed paint on the plastic parts is also interesting. I've seen a fair number of white NSXs and have never seen one with that kind of yellowing.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if that car has been hit and not put back together good as new based on several different things in the photos. That is why is said IMO it needs a thorough inspection to establish value. For a daily driver as long as it's pretty good that may not matter, but for someone looking to invest in a "collector" car and payinging a premium for such, they'd certainly want to find out for sure.

The yellowed paint on the plastic parts is also interesting. I've seen a fair number of white NSXs and have never seen one with that kind of yellowing.

Lud,

I agree with every point.

Another low mileage GPW that I looked into but never saw in person had some yellowing of the front bumper in areas, self-reported by the owner to me just as a data point to mention.

$45,000

IMO The bumpers/passenger rear quarter, and passenger door have been repainted. I don't see how the depths could be that inconsistent if they haven't been. It also appears the driver side window, and windshield have been replaced? Unless of course the early coupes had lamisafe on glass, and NOT Honda.

Pbassjo could give some input on the paint depths. Driver fender also seems misaligned. Passenger side black in engine bay has also been repainted (consistent with passenger side rear 1/4 panel being fixed/resprayed).

For a driver or if this was a past salvage/repaired car I don't see any of this being an issue at all. As it being represented as a collector piece that has never been repaired, very inconsistent.

nice to know that my car is worth more than when I bought it almost nine years ago...mostly bone stock...1993 that yinzer contacted me about and knew I was not going to sell..2005 oem wheels like someone mentioned are on it, oem European fogs with steves 6000k conversion on both headlights and fog...and s4play 5 led retrofit in turnsignal housing , still have brand new housing bought as back up if and when want to go back[ to stock, and aftermarket paddock performance exhaust (came with car ), still have original as well..been averaging about 150 miles per year...brother has a black ivory 91, since all of my vehicles are white I am not the one to be neutral...the paint job would be enough to change my mind though...

just moved back home after 7 month house remodel of which mainstay of project was two car garage with side by side double lift to hold up nsx and summertime convertible and daily drivers underneath,,,,

IMG_3027[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3026[1].jpg
    IMG_3026[1].jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
that is an AWESOME lift!

Phwoaaaaarrrr!!!! WANT!!! Doc, how tall is the ceiling in the garage?

So now I'm thinking, raise the floor in my bedroom above."Honey, whaddya think, our 9 foot ceilings are kinda high, no?". But they we'd have to take down the trapeze....:eek:

BAT now at $46k.

I just saw his paint thickness readings in one of the BAT images. I can only assume that his gauge is well off. I find it very hard to believe that any of his paint is as thin as the drivers rear quarter indicates. 0.94mil is almost no paint - no detailer with a gauge would touch that with a buffer. I believe that "normal" is 4-6mil on most cars.

My 99 is pretty well all 5-6mil IIRC. Perhaps his gauge needs to be recalibrated? Hopefully so because if I am right and the baseline/zero is off by 3 or 4 mil then he has some pretty thick areas.... I did mine with one of the Tecpel TG902s that I sell and had trouble getting good readings on the more curved panels. But there the gauge read really high not really low as the Tecpel has a 3 tip/point triangle with the sensor as one of them to get as accurate a reading as possible

I don't know of gauges that read thickness over plastic or fiberglass (for the bumper covers and rear spolier) although assume that they are out there.

Last edited:
BAT Bring a Trailer Grand Prix White GPW 1992 NSX auction.This should be inte...

nice to know that my car is worth more than when I bought it almost nine years ago...mostly bone stock...1993 that yinzer contacted me about and knew I was not going to sell..

View attachment 125461

Doc, that looks completely awesome. And the garage, lift, and BMW are really great too.

It's ironic that you post in this very thread about the BaT GPW and where Nigel chimed in. Every time I get into my '93, I thank my lucky stars that fine people like you, Nigel, the 2012 owner of the BaT GPW, and the others I PM'd in August 2012 were not willing to sell their NSX's.... :)

This BaT sale price data point will be interesting, especially in light of [MENTION=10363]nsxot1c[/MENTION]'s comments. Didn't notice the glass. I think the 2009 assessment was full of holes but not the current comments. Hopefully a collector bidder can fully PPI it before signing the deal, which I have to believe is in the auction fine print.

BaT auctions can have a reserve. I will guess that the bidding will exceed $50k but not meet reserve.

- - - Updated - - -

And how about a picture from the driveway with the lift up, garage door closed, and lights on inside?

Last edited:
the house took 2 plus years of planning and permits and 7 months to remodel...most of the project was built around the garage(since for me mostly I had to do something for kids and wife which is pretty unique ) again don't wat to be that guy if interested to knw what it is just pm me and will gladly share then. with always planning for the lift.. looked at single posts and two four posts.. (8 posts for my wife to avoid enough said) the double wide with finished platform was the way to go for me as the lift will be used to get things up on high shelves for storage to maximize the height of the garage ceilings (14ft) also the lift is the suv model to go higher to celar the header to allow daily drivers and suvs to be underneath... alos not to be that guy the cars and lift is not noticeable when all the wy up and garage door opened...as I a truly blessed to work around the corner from my house I usually walk or takje my 2001 pathfinder with 180000 plus miles (yes white ) to work so my patients who are in pain and miserable don't know what I have ...
thanks for well wishes and don't want to hack the thread just im the guy that proves hard work pays off to obtain what you want and in my eyes deserves..whatever color combination makes you smile and happy is what you should strive for... as myself and linzer can attest white was always in the cards for me...five cars all white ..

all the best

Last edited:
Nice call, acura_NA2! You should do a show on Velocity where you guess the value of people's cars. You could call it something like "What's My Car Worth". Oh, wait...

Ugh I would love a GPW NSX.. Black looks sweet but it's hard to keep that way. And white with black roof looks awesome IMO.

Final bid:

Winning Bid:USD $65,500
Auction Ended:November 18, 2015 at 2:04PM PT
Bids:43

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">
</tbody>

Wow - interesting - pristine, low mileage and stock NSX - going up in value, and with good reason. These are so rare and under appreciated great automobiles - fun to watch the auction action on BAT. Love the NSX !!!!!

Wow - interesting - pristine, low mileage and stock NSX - going up in value, and with good reason. These are so rare and under appreciated great automobiles - fun to watch the auction action on BAT. Love the NSX !!!!!

Happy for the seller who undoubtedly made a few $, but just think what a *really* pristine example might have gone for. :)

NSX028.jpg

NSX091.jpg

I was really surprised that this car brought $65,500 ($68,775 with buyer's premium). It seems like a ton of money for a 1994 in need of TB/WP. I am trying to decide if this was just an aberration or do I need to reset my internal NSX value algorithm. My guess was 45-50K before the auction.

Very strong numbers, guys we are just seeing the up trend of the NSX, value will continue to climb

Back