• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing the right offset

I'm hoping I can get a little advice on rim size and offsets. I've got a '95 running stock height currently, but considering lowering it in the future. I drive the car for fun, so 'trackability' isn't something I'm concerned with. Roads around here aren't bad either, so sidewall isn't a big issue.

With that in mind, I've been researching / checking out specs, and basing a lot of what I've found off of Danio's car when he had the TE37s on it, because in my eyes this is the perfect ride height and fitment on an NSX (for form, not function);
9601454954_8f596c0a13_o.jpg

I really like the 18" all around setup with the slightly thicker rear tires to accommodate the TCS. Yes I realize his is really low and the stance is aggressive, fenders rolled, etc.. I like the aggressive look and if I go lower it'll probably be a couple steps away from that (one that ideally wouldn't require rolled fenders), but similar in idea. From what I've found, those TE37s are specced at;
Front 18x10 +40
Rear 18x10.5 +22

I *think* I'm on the right track with the following;
Front 18 x 9.5 +35
Rear 18 x 10.5 +30

Slightly narrower fronts should allow a little extra offset to achieve about the same, if not about 1/4" less poke, and I went with a little extra positive offset in the rear for a tick over 1/4" less poke there.

Thoughts and guidance on this choice?

Edit; continuing on the data search it seems like anything over 8.5" fronts with stock fenders is an impossibility. The 9.5" fronts ideas it probably a no go, but I'd be all ears if someone's managed it in the past. Not looking to run 45* camber to make them fit, haha.

Last edited:
A couple of questions:

1. How low are you willing to go?
2. Do you want to be able to drive aggressively in turns?
3. How much camber are you willing to run?
4. Are you willing to stretch your tires?

People often make the same mistake you're making: looking at the wheel sizes before the tire sizes, then finding out that the tires they need won't work with the wheels they chose.

For an 18"/18" fitment on an NSX, if you want the TCS to work and you don't want the tires to rub, the tire sizes you want are 215/35-18 front and 265/35-18 rear (on all NSX years). A 215/35-18 tire should be mounted on rims 7.0-8.5" wide, and should NOT be mounted on a rim wider than that. Mounting it on an 18x9.5 or 18x10 rim is a prescription for disaster. The 265/35-18 rear can be mounted on rims 9.0-10.5" wide.

Thanks for the input, guys!
1. Lowness wise I'd like to start at my factory height and then decide on whether or not to go lower once I see how it looks factory.
I'm basing some of my ideas on these 2 cars, with +38 and +35 offsets;
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w308/Nsxot1c/nsxmarch19005.jpg
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37079&d=1191323150
Eventually a couple inch drop wouldn't be out of the question, but that's still up in the air, honestly.

2. For turning aggressiveness I generally take turns at speeds that push me into the seat's sides, but don't push the car to the point of the tires making noise (On Direzza zii's w/ stock rims, currently). In the realm of sports car drivers I would consider my driving style 'boring' on a scale of grandma to madman.

3. Camber is fine.

4. Tire stretch is A-ok. I like the stretched look and have never had an issue with it myself.
This is the fitment I run on my daily Corolla;

I'm comfortable running 215/35-18 on those 8.5's, since from what I've seen on tyrestretch it gives a small amount of stretch without being over the top;
http://tyrestretch.com/8.5-215-35-R18/
To be honest that looks about perfect to me!

For the rears I'd like a little more stretch than the 265/35-18 gets me. Something more along the lines of 225/40-18;
http://www.tyrestretch.com/9.5-225-40-R18/9.5-225-40-R18-2/
The thicker sidewall, theoretically, should account for skinnier width when it comes to overall diameter. I ended up with a diameter of 25.3" on the 265's vs. 25.09" on the 225's. Circumfrences of 79.5" vs 78.8" respectively.

On the right track so far with that math?

If I were you I would pay a visit to the Hella flush thread... You will find what you need there as well as help from the experts on that type of set up.

2. For turning aggressiveness I generally take turns at speeds that push me into the seat's sides, but don't push the car to the point of the tires making noise (On Direzza zii's w/ stock rims, currently).
In making your decisions, you should be aware that you're not going to be able to use really sticky tires like the Direzza ZII with an 18" front fitment. The best tire available in 215/35-18 is the Sumitomo HTR Z III - a decent tire, but not nearly as sticky as the Direzza ZII.

4. Tire stretch is A-ok. I like the stretched look and have never had an issue with it myself.
But there is a practical reason not to mount tires on wheels that are significantly wider (or significantly narrower) than in the range of approved rim widths. As already stated above, when you do so, excessive stress and heat can build up in the sidewalls, and this can cause the tire to blow out. This is not a theoretical issue; it happens all the time when people use overwide wheels. And when it does, your insurance company may cover any accident that results, but the tire manufacturer is not going to provide warranty coverage for a tire that fails when used in a fitment contrary to its specs.

I'm comfortable running 215/35-18 on those 8.5's
That's also an approved width for most 215/35-18 tires, including the Sumitomo HTR Z III.

For the rears I'd like a little more stretch than the 265/35-18 gets me. Something more along the lines of 225/40-18
Well, the TCS will work with those sizes on your '95 (although it could cause problems when used on a '91-93 NSX). But the handling will be terrible with rear tires that are only 10 mm wider than fronts. It's a prescription for substantial oversteer. That the handling condition in which the rear tires lose grip first when cornering, and the car has a tendency to spin out. I wouldn't.

FWIW, the 225/40-18 is usually approved for rims 7.5-9.0" wide.

Last edited:
Back