• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Recommendation

The Grand Touring (also called Streetmaster in JDM) uses a slightly tensioned plate, so it is not nearly as loud as the one Regan has in his NSX, which is a full floating race clutch. I understand from the BMW crowd that it makes a slight rattle noise, but very muted and not easily distinguished from the normal running of the engine.

Listen to Regan. OSG makes a more streetable clutch called Grand Touring. If you are not boosted, I think it is the best option for the NSX.

Does this still require the inputshaft swap? I think so, correct?

Regards,
LarryB

I suggested Mario contact OS Giken USA directly to inquire if they had any NA2 or 6 spd specific clutches. Don't think he's responded...

AFAIK, OSG only makes clutches for the dual splined input shaft.

All,

I've ordered the STR Series OS Giken clutch. The product description for this clutch is as follows (and is one of the reasons I decided to go OS Giken):

"The STR Clutch line-up is best suited for those who enjoy spirited driving and is well suited for street and occasional race use. The STR Clutch is available in single and twin plate configurations, and matched with a unique clutch cover which provides a factory clutch pedal feel. The result is a race ready clutch that can be easily driven around town."

This clutch does require the longer input shaft.

I had some second thoughts about the cost to install this clutch when I found out that Ramon at Niguel Motors would not install the clutch for me, but my order is not reversible, so I'm going ahead with this clutch, unless I get hit with super sticker shock. I'm going to start calling around this week to get installation quotes. I received several recommended installation shops.

I'll keep you posted.

Hmmm, well the GrandTouring is a single plate clutch. I thought I read somewhere that it was compatible with NA2, but I could be wrong...

According to the US website, there is not an NA2 compatible clutch. So it does appear you will need the mainshaft changed....

Brings up the question... Since you're opening up the transmission I'd consider an OS Giken LSD and possibly a shorter final drive. Please don't hate me :)

FYI: John Martin rebuilt my JDM 5spd transmission recently because the synchros were shot. I was in a rush trying to make an prescheduled event. I regret not spending for a OSG LSD at the time. That's one of the last things on my to-do list for this NSX. FWIW, If I was to do it all over again, i'd have not gone with the CTSC and just spent the money on the drivetrain.

Brings up the question... Since you're opening up the transmission I'd consider an OS Giken LSD and possibly a shorter final drive. Please don't hate me :)

FYI: John Martin rebuilt my JDM 5spd transmission recently because the synchros were shot. I was in a rush trying to make an prescheduled event. I regret not spending for a OSG LSD at the time. That's one of the last things on my to-do list for this NSX. FWIW, If I was to do it all over again, i'd have not gone with the CTSC and just spent the money on the drivetrain.

Pardon my ignorance LOL, but was is an LSD? And, were can I get it, from OS Giken I assume?

Thanks for all your help Regan!

Pardon my ignorance LOL, but was is an LSD? And, were can I get it, from OS Giken I assume?

Thanks for all your help Regan!
Let me do your pocket book a favor and simply say ignorance is bliss in regards to this topic :)

You probably won't miss it if you've never tried an NSX with a OSGiken LSD 1.5 before. I can't say the same for me :(

Those drivetrain parts sure are expensive aren't they!? Man these clutch threads never end... There are so many factors to consider when shopping. I went through two clutches relatively quickly and am still not happy!

Let me do your pocket book a favor and simply say ignorance is bliss in regards to this topic :)

You probably won't miss it if you've never tried an NSX with a OSGiken LSD 1.5 before. I can't say the same for me :(

Regan, What do you get for $3,600 plus installation? In other words, why is this mod worth the cost?

OK, now I know. Thanks for the links.

If I wasn't dropping a ton of money on a new clutch, I would be interested in the OS Giken LSD. I've spent enough money on my car for now. If I were to spend more money, it wold be for a harness bar and 5 or 6 point harness, for safety reasons.

Anyway, Thanks Regan for another educational event!

OK, now I know. Thanks for the links.

If I wasn't dropping a ton of money on a new clutch, I would be interested in the OS Giken LSD. I've spent enough money on my car for now. If I were to spend more money, it wold be for a harness bar and 5 or 6 point harness, for safety reasons.

Anyway, Thanks Regan for another educational event!
Honestly though... Since you're opening the tranny it would be prudent to inspect your synchros and other wear items like the OEM LSD clutch pack (or whatever it's called). Jon Martin knows all the areas to inspect and he can also tighten down the factory LSD to Type R spec go give you some margin improvement.

Like I mentioned... it's surprising to me you went with the OSG clutch (though I would have done the same) but there are some costs that add up due to the "might as well do it while i'm in there" factor.

Honestly though... Since you're opening the tranny it would be prudent to inspect your synchros and other wear items like the OEM LSD clutch pack (or whatever it's called). Jon Martin knows all the areas to inspect and he can also tighten down the factory LSD to Type R spec go give you some margin improvement.

Like I mentioned... it's surprising to me you went with the OSG clutch (though I would have done the same) but there are some costs that add up due to the "might as well do it while i'm in there" factor.

Yes, you are right, let me think about getting some work done to the transmission internals. The clutch wont arrive for another 4 weeks or so.

Lol

The OS Giken LSD comes in two different final drives 4.4 and 4.6.2. Which one would you suggest?

The OS Giken LSD comes in two different final drives 4.4 and 4.6.2. Which one would you suggest?

I think you really need to do your research on this one Mario. It's a personal choice. Final drives always have Pros and cons. Shorter gives better acceleration but also gets buzzy and requires more shifting.

I have a couple friends who love the 4.44 on the 6spd. I would probably keep not go shorter than 4.23 or keep the stock 4.06.

Don't listen to me on this one. You really need to spend some time thinking about what you want and understanding what a shorter final drive does. It's too expensive to not be happy at the end.

I think you really need to do your research on this one Mario. It's a personal choice. Final drives always have Pros and cons. Shorter gives better acceleration but also gets buzzy and requires more shifting.

I have a couple friends who love the 4.44 on the 6spd. I would probably keep not go shorter than 4.23 or keep the stock 4.06.

Don't listen to me on this one. You really need to spend some time thinking about what you want and understanding what a shorter final drive does. It's too expensive to not be happy at the end.

Thanks Regan!

LarryB put the NSX-R spring plate in my JDM 5-speed LSD and it made tracking more fun. A lot less $$$ than the OSG (which I have in the GT-R incidentally and love)

Sorry mcano, forgot you have a NA2. The diff in the 6-speed is not compatible with the NSX-R spring plate. So, you'd have to go with a Giken.

Just give me your 6 spd Mario. I'll trade you my Type R 5 spd with the short gears and the 4.23 final drive. It's sitting on the shelf waiting for it's coming out party. :) haha

That's funny Regan!

I'm getting a quote on the OS Giken LSD. However, my source stated that the 4.4 final drive is not available, but he will do more research. I think I'm going to break into my piggy bank and get the OSG LSD installed since the trans needs to be opened up. I'll also have the internals checked out and replaced if necessary. Then, I'm going stop making mods for a while.

I'm not sure yet as to whom I will hire to do the work. However, I will call John M. to see what he anticipates the cost would be.

Last edited:
Back