• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap ring

Hey guys!

I just bought a 91 NSX with 56,000 miles. I discovered throughout my purchase that it is within the range. How or what do i need to do to go about fixing it. Sorry new to the NSX world so if this has already been answered I ask that you point me in the right direction.

Do you plan on fixing it yourself, or taking it in for the repair?

Regards,
LarryB

If it were my car, I wouldn't fix it until (a) it started showing signs of the snap ring failure (e.g. loose feel in shifting), or (b) it needed other transmission work done. Otherwise, I'd just keep driving it as is.

as stated, experience has taught us that not every snap ring has failed and those that do vary as to mileage.

If it were my car, I wouldn't fix it until (a) it started showing signs of the snap ring failure (e.g. loose feel in shifting), or (b) it needed other transmission work done. Otherwise, I'd just keep driving it as is.

This WAS a valid strategy, but overtaking that is the availablilty or lack there of, of the parts required. One day, not so far in the future, there will be no parts. JMO

HTH,
LarryB

This WAS a valid strategy, but overtaking that is the availablilty or lack there of, of the parts required. One day, not so far in the future, there will be no parts. JMO

HTH,
LarryB

"One day, not so far in the future, there will be no parts" Wow, the reality of that!:eek:

HTH,
LarryB

My car is in snap ring range and I had the "fix" done as a precautionary measure. Was it necessary? Probably not. I just didn't like knowing that it could break any time, possibly many miles from a good mechanic. And there's the parts availibility issue. I'm glad that I had mine done.

Last edited:
Service receipt from a previous owner showing the work or at least the parts receipts. Chances are that if the work was done, the previous owner would let you know since it is not an insignificant cost. If the previous owner did not mention it, chances are that it has not been addressed.

If the snap ring itself fails it can be replaced at minimal cost.
This does not however fix the reason the snap ring failed.
For that you need to replace the transmission case per TSB 93-010 which can be found in the wiki.

So you either have:
1) a transmission in the snap ring range but the cases were machined correctly at the factory and the transmission is fine.
2) you have bad cases, the ring failed, but was replaced and the underlying cause remains.
3) the cases were replaced and you're fine.

As Old Guy says most owners would tell you if the cases were replaced so you may be a 1) or a 2).

I'd think if there was a repair done it would be at a dealership and they usually have it on file against the VIN.
Worth trying to find out which dealership your NSX was serviced at prior to your ownership.

Hey JD,

In your comments you use the word "cases" plural, please remember it is only the transmission housing that needs replacement not the clutch housing too.

Here is my "Kit"(parts list) for the snap-ring repair:

91207-PR8-005 Transmission Case Seal
21200-PR8-000 Transmission Case
90602-PR8-000 Snap Ring
91307-PR8-005 Filter O-ring
91206-PR8-005 Clutch Housing Seal
90201-PR8-000 Countershaft Nut
91216-PR8-005 Mainshaft Seal
91003-PR8-008 Countershaft Bearing
91215-PR8-005 Shift Shaft Seal

You may find other items, like syncros that may need replacement, the list above is for a good trans, that just had a snap-ring failure, or may have one.

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
The gears for a 5-speed are not available anymore...this is how it starts...

Ok it was a luxury until 2012 or so to be able to order 99% of the parts. Have a look for parts for a 89 CRX and you can imagine how it will look like in a few years or sooner for an NSX...cars dying because no parts are available if Honda doesn't go over this matter.

The gears for a 5-speed are not available anymore...this is how it starts...

Ok it was a luxury until 2012 or so to be able to order 99% of the parts. Have a look for parts for a 89 CRX and you can imagine how it will look like in a few years or sooner for an NSX...cars dying because no parts are available if Honda doesn't go over this matter.

This is encouraging!

This is encouraging!
I hope I'm wrong.

Honda or Acura should consider the high amount of cars still on the road, the image and the fan-base it has since day one. If you can't get parts YOU NEED to drive the car this will ruin the image of the whole brand. That's the good thing about BMW, Mercedes and Porsche. They are said to have most of the parts for their old cars. Audi is an absolute catastrophy.

And: I'm not going to buy the new 2.0 if they restrict the parts supply and let no. 1.0 die on purpose.

I hope Honda/Acura reads this! Show us that you won't let us down by producing a batch of long oil filters for example.

EDIT: I got a pm of a member about future parts availability. The member would sell the car soon if he would be unable to fix the car in the near future. I don't want to exaggerate nor unsettle anybody BUT it would really help to hear an official and firm statement of Honda or Acura about parts availability for the future. This is an subject that has to be discussed IMHO.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, checking this morning, I was looking for replacement clutch disks for my 1991. You can get the entire clutch, but the disks are discontinued. Mainly due to lack of order flow for the disks alone, in my opinion.

This is how it starts, low inventory flow, first to go, after 15 years all bets are off. Keep in mind, the car is 25 years old this year, so the fact I can get an entire OEM clutch is actually pretty good......

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:

HTH,
LarryB

That day is already here for quite a few parts. Honda seems to not be able to get past the disposable Japanese car mentality. That is a large reason why they can never establish a heritage or the presence of the European brands as collector cars. As an example someone purchasing a new BMW Z8 in 2000 had a promise from BMW of a 50 year parts supply while someone purchasing a new NSX in 2000 got lots of parts going NLA 15 years later. I've said it before here and I'll keep saying it - Since Honda has no interest in supporting their legacy cars I have no interest in buying the new NSX.

Last edited:
Ugh, that worries me quite a bit. FWIW, when the throttle cable on my 1991 nsx snapped from age and getting brittle, I found out the cable was discontinued and no longer made. We had to send the broken cable off to a motorcycle company to get a replica made.

With a lot of enthusiasts still clinging onto their NSX, the time is ripe for a 3rd party company to provide replacement parts imo... if acura/honda doesn't step it up with a refresh program or some sort of support in parts, it would be better to at least go with a trusted 3rd party replacement part than to let a legend die like this for lack of OEM parts..

Ugh, that worries me quite a bit. FWIW, when the throttle cable on my 1991 nsx snapped from age and getting brittle, I found out the cable was discontinued and no longer made.
There was a recent group buy on a replacement cable from AS Motorsports I believe.
I bought one.

By now I'd think there's a significant number of NSXs in wrecker's yards across the land.
They may provide a parts source in the future.

I hope I'm wrong.

Honda or Acura should consider the high amount of cars still on the road, the image and the fan-base it has since day one. If you can't get parts YOU NEED to drive the car this will ruin the image of the whole brand. That's the good thing about BMW, Mercedes and Porsche. They are said to have most of the parts for their old cars. Audi is an absolute catastrophy.

And: I'm not going to buy the new 2.0 if they restrict the parts supply and let no. 1.0 die on purpose.

I hope Honda/Acura reads this! Show us that you won't let us down by producing a batch of long oil filters for example.

EDIT: I got a pm of a member about future parts availability. The member would sell the car soon if he would be unable to fix the car in the near future. I don't want to exaggerate nor unsettle anybody BUT it would really help to hear an official and firm statement of Honda or Acura about parts availability for the future. This is an subject that has to be discussed IMHO.

Since I'm on a rant I'm going to keep going. Our cars have now entered the realm of collector cars. This is a hobby that myself and many others enjoy doing for the sake of doing; however maintaining value is also a part of it. The enjoyment and value of a collector car is contingent on being able to keep it on the road and consequently cars with no parts availability become a pain in the ass and lose value. Exceptions, of course, are cars that people build parts for on a one off basis because the most valuable part of the car by far is the VIN plate ( Ferrari 250 GTO for example ). Our cars will never be one of these and if the lack of parts becomes a problem, I too will sell mine before it is too late and purchase a different collector car with a more stable future.

People will have a big problem selling it if parts are about to go out.

BMW makes money with parts for older cars. Honda seems to miss this oppotunity. Sad to see. It will be my last Honda if my they left me stranded.

why cry on line about lack of parts...instead lets get a signed petition, or a sticky thread with all of us imploring Honda to keep producing oem parts.......or write to corporate.....do something about your fears. The other avenue to pursue would be through our national club the nsxca.

Last edited:
Back